Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metro Redux

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Aug 26, 2014

Metro Redux is a big overhaul of Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light that includes significant visual and gameplay upgrades for a more uniform experience across both games.

Riding The Metro Again?

• 54 results
    glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Next week there'll be a chance to dive back into those dark tunnels (and sometimes above them), in both physical and digital form. Haven't checked beyond the video, but at least in that the pricing's advertised as 25$ / 19.99€ per each game for PS4/XBone. I'd imagine it might be something like 45/35 of both for PS+ users after a discount or such, but haven't seen anything official as of yet. Naturally pc-version has the best prices (believe there's a hefty discount for folks who already own regular Metro games on Steam), but can't check it now since Steam refuses to open.

Anyone planning on giving them a second go or diving in for the first time? My PC had real trouble running both, especially with eyecandy on, so the promise of 1080p and 60FPS might already be enough for me to spend that 40~ euros to give them another go. It helps that I never finished either, since the playing eventually became unbearable.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's an impressive amount of changes, but I played through Last Light just before they announced this package, so I may wait a while before deciding to go back.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RonGalaxy

I'm definitely going to get the redux at some point, but I have too many games to catch up on already.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I had Last Light from PS+ but never got around to it due to a general disinterest in FPS games. I've heard a lot of good stuff about these games, though, so maybe I'll give them a look if I'm itching for something to do with my PS4 other than Pinball Arcade.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really really really really reaaaaaaaallllllllly love that they added the stealth mechanics form Last Light into 2033. These are two of my favorite games so I'll buy it at so me point but I finished a playthrough of both of them a few months ago so it can wait a while before I re-buy them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metro 2033 is probably my favorite FPS of the last generation and the prospect of playing it in the Last Light engine is too much to pass on. I'll end up buying Last Light again as well since they're adding that survival mode that seems to fix my main issues with that game. I still haven't decided on platform though.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I only got about halfway through Last Light. Something about that game just felt off compared to the first one. And the MKB controls felt really weird for some reason, as if all the binds were in odd places.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

One day, but not yet.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So do these new versions take the best from both, or are Last Light changes just fitted into the first one?

I'm curious if Last Light is just getting a visual upgrade.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like one is being fitted to look like the other but 'uniform package' could theoretically mean an upgrade for both. I'm putting in my preorder tomorrow. £30 seems like a damn good deal. I have the original from when THQ were giving it away but my laptop wasn't doing it justice so I got only minutes into it.

Excited to play it afresh.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Spoonman671

Absolutely. I loved Metro 2033, and Last Light was my favorite game in the year of its release. I already have both the PS3 and PC version of Last Light and still intend to get the PS4 version.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely going to pick these up not sure between PC and Xbox One, I know theyre better on the PC but I need some Xbox one games... Either way can't wait.

paradigm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I'm definitely looking forward to playing them. I've actually already played and beaten both already but I absolutely love Metro and the Metro universe (enough so that I even read the book lol) so I'll take any excuse I can get to dive back in. I'm really looking forward to seeing what improvements they've made.

TJMasterK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Call me crazy but I've played Metro 2033 over and over on my PC too many times to count. I am VERY excited about the remake of it in the new engine. when it was announced first on Steam I was able to only pay 25$ for both of them so I'm happy with the monies I saved.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played Last Light when I got it through PS+ and really enjoyed it. I tried playing 2033 on PC but it kept locking up so I'm looking forward to checking this out. If anyone in the US is looking to pick this up Best Buy is throwing in a $10 gift card the week it comes out.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I like looking at Last Light, but I didn't enjoy playing it that match and was kinda glad when it was over.

I like 2033 *a lot* but I don't really have any desire to replay it any time soon, even with all of the updates.

I love the Metro series and I'm glad that this exists, though.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Never played the Metro games, but I like the atmosphere (don't know if the gameplay is any good). Might be something I pick up later, when it's for sale.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Never got to try the games so I think i'll probably check it out.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Better AI and responsive hit reaction on enemies. Ok I might actually play these now. The lack of reaction on enemies put me off so hard last time I couldn't get very far in the original.

ravingham91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I must of got metro 2033 in a bundle or paid very little because I don't remember buying it. Seeing that it includes a visual upgrade grade plus all the dlc (remember the controversy of last light charging extra for the ranger mode?) I am looking forward to playing it on the super hard ranger mode with all the eye candy cranked and I don't mind paying $12 as I got 2033 for practically nothing. I'm gonna play in Russian because I love playing games not in English.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

Played them both, really enjoyed them, don't really feel the need to play them again.

Quemaqua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll definitely be grabbing these. Never played the originals at all since I just really didn't have the rig for them and haven't traditionally been as inclined for console shooters, but I picked up a PS4 and am very eager to give these a go. Sincerely wish I didn't have classes staring the day before this drops.

Marduke1913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so excited

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I was kind of 'meh, just replayed them both a month ago' but wow, that uncovered video says and does everything just perfectly. I wish more companies would spend this much time on HDafying their work.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LeStephan

i was really surprised by just how much i loved Last light when it came out and as someone who doesn't have a pc or xbox360 im really excited to finaly play the first one.

Also, it really looked like the ps3 could just barely handle the game and from what ive heard they also fixed the hardcore mode so you can at least look at the magazines you have left or something like that. And on top of that all the overhaul on the first one too and only 40 euros for both on disc, this has got to be one of the best 'hd' re-releases ever, they normally dont ever put this much effort in stuff like this.

so yeah definitely gonna get it day one or at least asap, just hope the ps4 version will be up to snuff(though it probably will, coming off of the ps3 :p)

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never played the original games, and this looks like the perfect way to do it so I slapped down a pre-order a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately the game's coming a week late to Australia, but yeah. It looks like they've put a fair amount of work into the Metro 2033 redux (though it's a shame it sounds like some assets are just the same ones from the original game, looking out of place alongside the newer assets).

ShapeOfDespair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I own both the original games, but haven't played Last Light yet. I decided to pick up Redux pack they have on steam since they are offering a deeper discount to those who own the originals. I'll probably play through the first one again and then jump into Last Light after I'm done with Wolfenstein.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, okay I didn't post in this yet. Anyways, yep. I'm going to get this. I played the other ones on 360, and despite being the inferior versions compared to the PC, I still really loved both, and them seen together is even better in my opinion. I played Last Light some months after its release, but glad I played it when I did, and played 2033 only a few months back, and was both disappointed I didn't play it earlier as I had some reservations about it as well as previously having a lack of money since I had no job when it came out, as well as surprised at how similar it is to Last Light aside from a few aspects. I can't wait for Redux. I'll probably be getting it on PS4, though I feel I should get it on the One since I want more games on it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NTM

@tobbrobb: I don't want to try to get you out of buying it, but honestly, while I don't know for sure myself, reviews have been saying that it's not true and the A.I. are just as dumb as they were. It's an aspect that didn't really bother me as I enjoyed the shooting, so it had little affect for me. They seemed like very typical (not that smart, but not overly dumb) A.I. for a game.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@ntm: Better AI might be secondary to me if they get the animations right. My real issue with the shooting was that the gunplay lacked punch. Enemies didn't flinch or react really, and a lot of the soundwork was very low key (intentional?). Either way, I'm hoping they are making up for the minute things that I value so highly in the shooter, because those games seem to do so much else right. And having read the novel recently I'm interested to walk those tunnels myself. As a sucker for good atmosphere, if every combat encounter doesn't immediately take me out of it again, those games have the potential to be favorites.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jackel2072

Oh yeah I'm really excited for this! Not many games have this much atmosphere.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NTM

@tobbrobb:

Hm, I didn't think so, which is why I enjoyed it and didn't mind the A.I. being average. I thought it felt impactful, and the sound design was good. I don't know what to say, but I guess it's just a matter of opinion. For instance, it's the main reason why Uncharted 2 is my least favorite, because I felt the shooting and bullet contact didn't feel impactful, as if you were shooting a feather or something, I don't know how to explain it, but for a game that's almost all about shooting a bunch of dudes, it didn't feel great, as compared to the original or even three. Maybe you played it on PC and it gives a different feeling? I played it on 360. That's not to say the 360 version is better, only that it may be the cause. I was also very happy that it felt good to me, because the stealth in 2033 isn't very good, making it easier to just shoot guys. That's also the main difference between 2033 and Last Light I think.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

As cool as this is, if it was CD Project RED, it would just be a free update.

See, this is what I get from watching that 35 min Witcher demo, faith.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't think I got past the halfway point of the first Metro game so I think this will be worth picking up.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

The metro games were some of the most atmospheric and well realized games I played last gen, so I'm real happy both these games are being re-released on the new consoles. I marathoned both of them back to back last year, so it still feels a little too soon for me to go back just yet. I'll probably pick this up a year or so from now.

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i never got to play these on a machine worthy of them. So the ps4 versions are looking mighty tempting to be honest. But i kinda want to wait for some experiences. 1080p 60 fps is real nice but i want to know if it's actually there.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jackel2072

@syndrom: digital foundry tested out both next gen versions of the game. PS4 runs at pretty much a rock solid 60fps in native 1080p

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-metro-redux

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syndrom: digital foundry tested out both next gen versions of the game. PS4 runs at pretty much a rock solid 60fps in native 1080p

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-metro-redux

Good to have that tested-out. Likely picking up a physical copy this week.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting this tonight on PSN if I can. Yay! :D I'm excited.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jackel2072

@NTM: I would love to get it on PSN but I still can't find any listing for it in store. UPDATE you can however buy both right now on xbox one digital store

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NTM

@jackel2072: Yeah... I have thought about getting it on the One, but I'll just get it on the PS4; it's supposed to be slightly better in terms of resolution, which may seem small (especially considering I currently am using a 720p TV), but still. I'm waiting until twelve, which I am hoping it's on then.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NTM: if your using a 720 TV set you won't notice any difference between the two. I'm giving sony until 1230 est and if it's not up screw it I'm buying it on the xbox.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jackel2072: Of course, but I'm going to be upgrading at some point, which is why I buy some games on PS4 instead of the One right now.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Only got about halfway with Last Light. But I thought the game better than how I was getting along with it. Story felt a bit contrived. Any Communist society allowing the expressive arts that I saw in-game should not have such a clenched rear end. I understood the Nazi routine better, since that kind of nationalist/racial supremacy thing transmits like an infectious disease through disparate cultures. This despite Russia's epic bloody struggle with Germany. It made it into America, also.

But I am a fan of the Stalker series. Someday I will cash in my 50% off and give both a try.

Klager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Klager

Just got both 50% off for $25 on Steam, for owning both the originals. This seems to be only a pre-order offer though, so glad it's not out until the 29th in Europe.
    Never finished either of the originals as I had performance issues with both. Not sure these will run any better, but at least they will look and play better.

ravingham91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ravingham91

Anyone know the PC AUS release date? I cant seem to find it on the steam store page and this site (http://press-start.com.au/2014/06/25/metro-redux-official-release-date/) reckons its been delayed until September!

EDIT: It's the 28th....you bloody ripper!

ravingham91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just did the benchmark with everything on max @1440p (SSAA disabled) and got:

• Total Frames: 2680, Total Time: 59.86682 sec
    • Average Framerate: 44.87
    • Max. Framerate: 160.57 (Frame: 2624)
    • Min. Framerate: 7.03 (Frame: 632)

Running on I7 2600k, GTX 780 ti, and 8GB. i have yet to see what the actual game play runs like but if i can average 45 I'll golden. Also with SSAA disabled does that mean there is effectively no AA?

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@klager said:

Just got both 50% off for $25 on Steam, for owning both the originals. This seems to be only a pre-order offer though, so glad it's not out until the 29th in Europe.

Never finished either of the originals as I had performance issues with both. Not sure these will run any better, but at least they will look and play better.

Kinda pisses me off that the offer doesn't extend to after the release date.

Bumbuliuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I own both Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light on the PC and Xbox 360. I will hopefully get the Metro: Redux edtion in the mail for my PS4 after the weekend. Love the games and can't wait to play them again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.