Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid II: Return of Samus

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released November 1991

Metroid II: Return of Samus is the portable sequel to the Nintendo Entertainment System classic, Metroid. Regarded by many as one of the best action games on the Game Boy, it was a solid follow up to the original.

Memories: Metroid II

Electricshoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Electricshoes

I was sitting here at work, waiting to go home (in two hours) and I saw   this post on Destructoid about a fan remake of  the greatest Game boy game ever, Metroid 2. I got crazy excited, seriously I screamed a bit. Ok, I totally freaked. 

Why?

My brain was then flooded with memories that I had long forgotten. I was nine years old and living in Tucson, AZ. I was into gaming at the time with an NES and a broken Power Glove. I loved Metroid, not as much as my friends who had drawn huge maps with every enemy and item location. I remember the commercials for Metroid 2, I was psyched and needed a Game boy. I remember going to Price Club (now Costco) and seeing Game boy’s stacked to the ceiling in a glorious pyramid of excitement and escapism. I begged my parents for one, I needed it, and my NES was useless to me now. When they said no way, I freaked out and cried, I remember balling my face off because I could not get one. I sound like a brat, I think I was, but it was extremely important to me. We were not rich by an stretch of the imagination, some months I could tell we were not doing so good, my parents worked very hard for us and when I look back now I feel like a jerk for acting that way because here comes the glory….

The Glory

Maybe a week after this traumatizing incident my parents surprised my brother, sister and I. When we came home from school my parents gave us each little piece of paper with a clue. I remember mine, oh yes I do, I have no idea what they got. One of them was a clue about my race car bunk bed, there was another clue hidden in the bed, another was a clue that I think led me to the kitchen where I found another clue about fish … Ahh, the final clue, our fish tank. Behind the doors under the fish tank was the most beautiful box I had ever seen, a box plucked from the Price Club pyramid of loveliness, life was good. I was so excited, I was not at all bummed that Metroid 2 was not a part of the gift, it was my big ol’ fat Game boy with Super Mario Land and Tetris. This was my thing, It’s what I did, I played my Game Boy and Super Mario Land was really hard, but that made me feel hardcore. I would stuff that thing in my little pockets and take it with me everywhere; it was painful because I could barley walk. This is one of the best memories I have from kiddom and my parents rule!

Grandma Rules Too!

Hey grandma, we don’t see you that often because you live eight hours away, you could buy us a present and stuff. Actually she offered, we went to Target or K-Mart or something and I sauntered on over to the games. Hello games, hello METTTRRROOOOIIDDDDD!!!!! I got it. I have it. It’s mine. After this was many hours of eye melting brilliance, I loved this game. The graphics were so RAD! The gameplay, AMAZING! And I could take it with me everywhere. I loved figuring out where to go, remembering where everything was, the tunnels the weapon upgrades the missiles the bosses. Get this, I did not buy another Game Boy game after this. That was it. 

Goodbye

I had my Game Boy for 6 years after that until my sister moved away when she was 18. I handed her my Game Boy and Tetris, gave her a hug and watched her get on a plane to San Diego. I kept Metroid. I eventually lost it because it was useless to me as just a cartridge. It is a big reason why I love games so much now and have played games all of my life. I am going to play the fan remake as soon as I can.

Thanks Samus, I love you. (My wife is cool with it ;)

Electricshoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Electricshoes

I was sitting here at work, waiting to go home (in two hours) and I saw   this post on Destructoid about a fan remake of  the greatest Game boy game ever, Metroid 2. I got crazy excited, seriously I screamed a bit. Ok, I totally freaked. 

Why?

My brain was then flooded with memories that I had long forgotten. I was nine years old and living in Tucson, AZ. I was into gaming at the time with an NES and a broken Power Glove. I loved Metroid, not as much as my friends who had drawn huge maps with every enemy and item location. I remember the commercials for Metroid 2, I was psyched and needed a Game boy. I remember going to Price Club (now Costco) and seeing Game boy’s stacked to the ceiling in a glorious pyramid of excitement and escapism. I begged my parents for one, I needed it, and my NES was useless to me now. When they said no way, I freaked out and cried, I remember balling my face off because I could not get one. I sound like a brat, I think I was, but it was extremely important to me. We were not rich by an stretch of the imagination, some months I could tell we were not doing so good, my parents worked very hard for us and when I look back now I feel like a jerk for acting that way because here comes the glory….

The Glory

Maybe a week after this traumatizing incident my parents surprised my brother, sister and I. When we came home from school my parents gave us each little piece of paper with a clue. I remember mine, oh yes I do, I have no idea what they got. One of them was a clue about my race car bunk bed, there was another clue hidden in the bed, another was a clue that I think led me to the kitchen where I found another clue about fish … Ahh, the final clue, our fish tank. Behind the doors under the fish tank was the most beautiful box I had ever seen, a box plucked from the Price Club pyramid of loveliness, life was good. I was so excited, I was not at all bummed that Metroid 2 was not a part of the gift, it was my big ol’ fat Game boy with Super Mario Land and Tetris. This was my thing, It’s what I did, I played my Game Boy and Super Mario Land was really hard, but that made me feel hardcore. I would stuff that thing in my little pockets and take it with me everywhere; it was painful because I could barley walk. This is one of the best memories I have from kiddom and my parents rule!

Grandma Rules Too!

Hey grandma, we don’t see you that often because you live eight hours away, you could buy us a present and stuff. Actually she offered, we went to Target or K-Mart or something and I sauntered on over to the games. Hello games, hello METTTRRROOOOIIDDDDD!!!!! I got it. I have it. It’s mine. After this was many hours of eye melting brilliance, I loved this game. The graphics were so RAD! The gameplay, AMAZING! And I could take it with me everywhere. I loved figuring out where to go, remembering where everything was, the tunnels the weapon upgrades the missiles the bosses. Get this, I did not buy another Game Boy game after this. That was it. 

Goodbye

I had my Game Boy for 6 years after that until my sister moved away when she was 18. I handed her my Game Boy and Tetris, gave her a hug and watched her get on a plane to San Diego. I kept Metroid. I eventually lost it because it was useless to me as just a cartridge. It is a big reason why I love games so much now and have played games all of my life. I am going to play the fan remake as soon as I can.

Thanks Samus, I love you. (My wife is cool with it ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.