Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid: Other M

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Aug 31, 2010

Set between the events of Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, Other M follows Samus Aran on a rescue mission to a derelict ship in deep space where she encounters her former commanding officer and a whole host of old and new trouble.

Awesome End Game Stuff (Spoilers)

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Sarumarine

My feelings on Other M are still coming together, but I think it's a rough package with some interesting game play (not the FPS moments, I assure you). At the very least they dared to try something different which is something you almost can't get away with concerning major Nintendo franchises. It's just a shame it didn't work as well as intended. But I digress.

End game spoilers, duders. Consider yourself warned.

I made this topic to talk about the amazing post credits nonsense that takes place on the Bottle Ship. At first it looked like you'd only get to run around and try to collect all the hidden items. But there are actually some new rooms you couldn't access before and probably the best Metroid surprise I have seen in a long, long time.

It's Phantoon! He's back! As a bonus boss and pretty frantic at that. This might be a case of your mileage may vary, but Phantoon is one of my favorite Metroid bosses. The only question I have is, why did it take this long? As a ghost, he's the one Metroid character that could show up again and again without far reaching explanations or tripping the DNA fantastic (poor Ridley). Why is Phantoon here? Oh yeah, he's a god damn ghost. Yet it took 16 years before he made another appearance outside Super Metroid. Still, better late than never. Creepy eyeballs and blue fireballs in all, it's awesome. I'd say it's one of the great moments of this game.

What did you think of it?

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I thought it was pretty awesome how he just comes out of nowhere and busts open the side of the ship to get to you.  I never really had a special place in my heart for Phantoon like a lot of Metroid fans, but it was still great to see him.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sarumarine
    @Make_Me_Mad: 
    I always enjoyed Phantoon's freaky eyeball-in-mouth design so he's always stayed with me through the various Metroid games. His area in Super Metroid was refreshingly ass backwards how you had to kill him first before you could explore anywhere around him.

But yeah, he rips that room to shreds trying to get to you. It was especially cool when he breaks the glass for the first time and they have a little decompression occur in the observation room.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong
    @Sarumarine: 

I was very, very surprised.
    I was back on the ship, collecting items and noticed the marker on my map, a lil exploring later and HOLY CRAP ITS PHANTOON!
    That was awesome, and then the escape part in her Zero Suit...

Nintendo (and Team Ninja) fucking delivered.
    OscarMike001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By OscarMike001

No matter how cheesy the story was at times, when I saw that helmet and the piano kicked in. I thought that was a pretty great moment. Really makes Fusion feel different.

masterherocard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By masterherocard

Personally, I found other m's first ending  to be a nice ending to a different sort of game. When i found out you could go back, I was excited. When I found the bonus boss, I was intrigued (I didn't get that it was phantoon right away, but still), and when I finally got to the marker, the next five minutes reminded me that this was still a metroid game.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Emilio

Never played Super Metroid, so I was just like "Who is this fool?" 

Then I blasted him.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By ArcBorealis

I remembered in one of the earlier trailers seeing what looked like Phantoon, but it wasn't (I think it was some weird, floating tentacle thing that happened to have an eye like Phantoon's, somewhere in Sector 2). But once I saw the REAL phantoon near the end, the only thought in my mind was "holy fuck, he's HUGE!"  

That, and Nightmare from Metroid Fusion (who I never thought in my life I would see outside of that game), were the two boss fights to catch me off guard, and make me simultaneously excited to kick their asses.  

Though Phantoon wins, just for the whole thing, from his entrance to him tearing up the control room. Amazing.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By big_jon
    @Sarumarine:
    Yeah dude Phantoon was always my favorite boss, this was such an OH SHIT moment for me!
    Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sarumarine
    @Emilio said:
    " Never played Super Metroid, so I was just like "Who is this fool?"  Then I blasted him. "
    Yeah, as soon as I made this topic I realized that anyone who didn't play Super Metroid up to the Wrecked Ship probably wouldn't know what to make of a giant squid-like thing with an eyeball in his mouth.

I guess it's just the relative obscurity of Phantoon made his appearance all that more satisfying.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By xyzygy

I'm just playing it right now, and I got back on the ship because she has to get something that was left there. I don't get what that was though... 

But I love how the first notice when you get off the ship is, "Power Bombs can now be used". more item collecting!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel
    @xyzygy said:
    " I'm just playing it right now, and I got back on the ship because she has to get something that was left there. I don't get what that was though...  But I love how the first notice when you get off the ship is, "Power Bombs can now be used". more item collecting! "
    Hint:  It was something that Adam didn't take with him.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By xyzygy
    @Hailinel said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " I'm just playing it right now, and I got back on the ship because she has to get something that was left there. I don't get what that was though...  But I love how the first notice when you get off the ship is, "Power Bombs can now be used". more item collecting! "
    Hint:  It was something that Adam didn't take with him. "
    Yeah, I beat it and got it. That post game bit was awesome, I got 100% completion and the Zero Suit part was really cool. It's nice how they put the effort into that even though you only play like that for a few minutes. And at the end of the story, I wondered where the classic Metroid escape scene was, heh.
    Prassel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Prassel
    While I did love the fight against Phantoon, I hated the way it was implemented... Primarily the fact that it's the ONLY thing you could call a "final boss" in this game, and then it's not even related to the story! I think I would have enjoyed it much more if there had been an actual final boss to the story before it.

But then, I felt that most of this game was made of up of nods and homages to 2D metroid titles, while the story was secondary... and the whole post-game stuff just made it feel even more so.  

So, kudos for the great boss battle against Phantoon... And a great thumbs-down for how it was implemented.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#15  Edited By Hailinel
    @Prassel said:
    " While I did love the fight against Phantoon, I hated the way it was implemented... Primarily the fact that it's the ONLY thing you could call a "final boss" in this game, and then it's not even related to the story! I think I would have enjoyed it much more if there had been an actual final boss to the story before it.  But then, I felt that most of this game was made of up of nods and homages to 2D metroid titles, while the story was secondary... and the whole post-game stuff just made it feel even more so.    So, kudos for the great boss battle against Phantoon... And a great thumbs-down for how it was implemented. "

Phantoon wasn't a "final" boss as much as he was a bonus boss meant for fan service.  His appearance is too inexplicable for the story otherwise.  Even though the game doesn't end when you defeat it, the true final boss was really the Queen Metroid.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.