Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid: Other M

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Aug 31, 2010

Set between the events of Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, Other M follows Samus Aran on a rescue mission to a derelict ship in deep space where she encounters her former commanding officer and a whole host of old and new trouble.

God. I don't have the urge.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By demontium

Ever since I got this game, I'm not even hyped to play it. I played through the first 10 minutes (not counting cutscenes) and the game is way to mindful of non-gamers. It's all intro to controls and gameplay. The game also feels like its gonna be too easy because it auto-aims amazingly and dodges pretty much automatically. 

And in the meantime I am just playing more Starcraft 2 and waiting for Halo. I guess what I'm trying to say is, why am I not excited, much less playing this game? Is it possible that a metroid game is seriously too boring for me (metroid is one of the best on one of my favorite franchises)?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

The first ten minutes of gameplay are a basic tutorial and maybe getting as far as the first boss if you're quick.  Maybe.  Is it an especially challenging game in terms of combat?  No, it's not Ninja Gaiden, but it wasn't meant to be.  The difficulty is more in line with a standard Metroid title, where a lot of the difficulty comes from the environmental puzzles and not so much from the cannon fodder enemies.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By BrittonPeele

The game does get a ton better and far more interesting a little ways in. I say you should go back and not give up on it quite yet. It's not the best Metroid game ever, but there's a lot of reason to love it anyway.

Genjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Genjai
    @demontium: I was over at a friend's house a couple day ago and played around with his Metroid save about an hour in. Previously, I had been fairly luke-warm to them game, especially considering all trailers and previews of crappy dialog and cut scenes, or tutorials like 'Push Button'. But playing that little bit, I was instantly sold. The snippet I played had no cut scenes or tutorials, and I got all the warm fuzzies and nostalgia of the past + a game design I had never experienced before. Okay, I'm sure I will never hold M:OM as one of the greatest games of all time, but I am dying to play it now. Christmas list FTW.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By demontium
    @Hailinel said:
    " The first ten minutes of gameplay are a basic tutorial and maybe getting as far as the first boss if you're quick.  Maybe.  Is it an especially challenging game in terms of combat?  No, it's not Ninja Gaiden, but it wasn't meant to be.  The difficulty is more in line with a standard Metroid title, where a lot of the difficulty comes from the environmental puzzles and not so much from the cannon fodder enemies. "
    Difficulty wasn't the only thing, its just like... impossible to explain. It's like I just don't wanna play it. I guess it's like me and Red Dead Redemption. I love the dev and the type of game, but I never got around to playing that either. It's some unexplainable lack of attraction, like when you meet a nice girl but it just doesn't click for some reason.... I guess.
    Prassel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Prassel
    @Sargus said:

" The game does get a ton better and far more interesting a little ways in. I say you should go back and not give up on it quite yet. It's not the best Metroid game ever, but there's a lot of reason to love it anyway. "

Not sure if I should agree or disagree... While the game DOES get loads better a bit into it, it also gets worse and worse towards the end IMHO. A few of the first boss battles are pretty creative, but most are just about blasting away at an enemy that happens to have a health bar, and are 50% or more "cool" clips where you don't even control Samus save for pressing A when it's time to shoot.

Also the pacing of the game is really good mid-game or so... then before you know it, the actual game is finished, more or less out of nowhere. -.-
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Hailinel said:
    " No, it's not Ninja Gaiden, "
    You're right it's Metroid Gaiden where the running animations and wall jumps are lifted straight from the other Ninja Gaiden games.  I wanted to like Other M but it's really a huge disappointment in my view.  So generic and filled with really awful, awful characterisations and dialogue.
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By zitosilva

I can completely understand you for not liking it. I too thought it was very underwhelming. I finished it in a single session and, all the while, I felt like the game had not yet really begun. I couldn't get into the controllers and I hated what they did to Samus. Still, try playing it a bit more, maybe around an hour. After that, if you still don't feel it, then stop. It should be enough to know if you like it or not. Oh, and thankfully, the cutscenes appear less and less in the middle of the game.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By ESREVER

I have Other M sitting on my shelf still, unwrapped, but not played. My Wii is kind of in an inconvenient place because it doesn't work on my main monitor. 
    I want to play it, it looks fun and different... theres just too much to play right now. Reach, Valkyria Chronicles 2, P3P, Phantasy Star... list goes on.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Hailinel
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " No, it's not Ninja Gaiden, "
    You're right it's Metroid Gaiden where the running animations and wall jumps are lifted straight from the other Ninja Gaiden games.  I wanted to like Other M but it's really a huge disappointment in my view.  So generic and filled with really awful, awful characterisations and dialogue. "

Then we'll have to agree to disagree.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.