Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid: Other M

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Aug 31, 2010

Set between the events of Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, Other M follows Samus Aran on a rescue mission to a derelict ship in deep space where she encounters her former commanding officer and a whole host of old and new trouble.

Mother, time to go!

SnakeSDR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Edited By SnakeSDR

I played Metroid: Other M recently, and despite some minor issues, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It felt like classic Metroid in all the areas that count, regardless of any stilted dialogue our heroine might utter or any minor difficulties the limited control scheme may present. Now that I mention Samus' dialogue, I may as well start there. 

The voice actress for Samus Aran is woeful. I can understand the developers wanting the character to sound like devoid of all emotion -- After all, she is a galactic bounty hunter that works alone, and has been through some serious business to boot -- but that doesn't excuse the actresses wooden performance. In fact, actress is a bit generous, line reader is a more adequate job title, she is given lines and she reads them out loud. Okay I'm being a little bit nasty, it's most likely the voice over director's fault or maybe she delivered the exact performance the team was after, It's hard to say. All I know is that it made a poor first impression on me for the story and character side of things. Fortunately I did feel like the story did a reasonable job, and I found Samus' voice tolerable after playing for a couple of hours. I wasn't bothered as much by the portrayal of the Samus as some people were, but I did find one particular moment kind of moronic. 

When the inevitable return of Ridley occurs about half way into the game, Samus is petrified, so shocked that he could come back from the dead  a fourth time -- speaking chronologically in Metroid lore, not game releases. Three times, sure, that makes sense since every arch nemesis returns about three times, but god forbid a fourth. So players have to watch as a stoic, highly trained and vastly experienced bounty hunter, a woman who has laid waste to countless monsters over multiple systems, remains frozen at the appearance of her greatest rival. It would make sense if it was her first encounter with Ridley as an adult, he was the douchebag that killed her family when she was just a child, but having it happen now is borderline offensive. Samus is better then this. The game even goes as far as to have her appear as a cowering child in one shot, at the mercy of the space dragon pirate. 

Alright, now that I have filled my bitching quota I can continue. 

Wait hold on, theres more. 

Being 'metroided' has become a common game mechanic ever since the early Metroid and Castlevania games. Typically the cause isn't terribly creative and may even feel a little arbitrary in the overarching story, but its rarely, entirely inexplicable. Metroid: Other M seemed determined to change that, providing the most profoundly ridiculous reason for losing your characters abilities from a previous game that I have ever encountered. She doesn't want to use them. She wants Adam to say when shes allowed to. Fuck that. 

The game tries to justify it through the story and it's almost convincing, but there are moments -- where an ability isn't enabled when it should be -- that just defy all logic and reason. The clearest example of this I can recall is a moment early on where I had to run Samus through an unstable, lava-filled environment, that was emanating enough heat to start burning through her suit. Where after making my way through most of the sector Adam finally decides to authorise the use of the Varia Suit -- an upgrade that would have prevented all that unpleasant burning alive business. It's also worth noting that having Adam say "You can use this now!" isn't quite as satisfying as traversing hostile environments to procure the upgrades yourself. The knowledge that you have them in your suit, laying dormant, is actually quite frustrating and it put a bit of a damper on my experience.

Enough of this negativity though, what did I actually like about the game? Well it might be slothful of me to say that pretty much everything I haven't dumped shit on I enjoyed, but It seems a fairly accurate statement. I found myself quite content with the control scheme after getting used to it, and the automated dodge and aim functions during combat felt appropriate and reasonably well implemented. The combat was largely enjoyable, minus a couple of enemies that feel as though they require a touch more punishment then they should. Bosses were appropriately big and nasty looking, as well as providing welcome doses of fan service throughout the game's duration. Finally, the most important aspect for Metroid fans, collecting stuff is still cool and backtracking to use unlocked abilities to see where you get to go next is still as exciting and addictive as ever. 

So, it took about five paragraphs to talk about what was bad about the game, but only one to explain why it is ultimately a good game. I think I might need to work on balancing out my negative and positive opinions. 

Anyway, writing all this has left me with a couple of questions: 

1. Should there be another story driven Metroid game ?
     or 
    2. Should Nintendo stick with what it does best and just continuously remake the games you love with some shiny new extras? 

I feel like the story worked out alright in Metroid: Other M, there were some genuinely interesting developments for the Metroid lore and it's characters. However I don't know if it really needed a more prominent story. It would have been interesting to see how a new 2D metroid game would have done critically rather then them trying to shake it up a bit. I am glad they didn't just make another Prime though, that trilogy feels just right as it is. 

Anyway, I should really get to bed. I have made this post long enough already. I might consider writing some proper reviews soon, since this pretty much is one. I will see how I go. 

Ciao.
    SnakeSDR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SnakeSDR

I played Metroid: Other M recently, and despite some minor issues, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It felt like classic Metroid in all the areas that count, regardless of any stilted dialogue our heroine might utter or any minor difficulties the limited control scheme may present. Now that I mention Samus' dialogue, I may as well start there. 

The voice actress for Samus Aran is woeful. I can understand the developers wanting the character to sound like devoid of all emotion -- After all, she is a galactic bounty hunter that works alone, and has been through some serious business to boot -- but that doesn't excuse the actresses wooden performance. In fact, actress is a bit generous, line reader is a more adequate job title, she is given lines and she reads them out loud. Okay I'm being a little bit nasty, it's most likely the voice over director's fault or maybe she delivered the exact performance the team was after, It's hard to say. All I know is that it made a poor first impression on me for the story and character side of things. Fortunately I did feel like the story did a reasonable job, and I found Samus' voice tolerable after playing for a couple of hours. I wasn't bothered as much by the portrayal of the Samus as some people were, but I did find one particular moment kind of moronic. 

Alright, now that I have filled my bitching quota I can continue. 

Wait hold on, theres more. 

Being 'metroided' has become a common game mechanic ever since the early Metroid and Castlevania games. Typically the cause isn't terribly creative and may even feel a little arbitrary in the overarching story, but its rarely, entirely inexplicable. Metroid: Other M seemed determined to change that, providing the most profoundly ridiculous reason for losing your characters abilities from a previous game that I have ever encountered. She doesn't want to use them. She wants Adam to say when shes allowed to. Fuck that. 

The game tries to justify it through the story and it's almost convincing, but there are moments -- where an ability isn't enabled when it should be -- that just defy all logic and reason. The clearest example of this I can recall is a moment early on where I had to run Samus through an unstable, lava-filled environment, that was emanating enough heat to start burning through her suit. Where after making my way through most of the sector Adam finally decides to authorise the use of the Varia Suit -- an upgrade that would have prevented all that unpleasant burning alive business. It's also worth noting that having Adam say "You can use this now!" isn't quite as satisfying as traversing hostile environments to procure the upgrades yourself. The knowledge that you have them in your suit, laying dormant, is actually quite frustrating and it put a bit of a damper on my experience.

Enough of this negativity though, what did I actually like about the game? Well it might be slothful of me to say that pretty much everything I haven't dumped shit on I enjoyed, but It seems a fairly accurate statement. I found myself quite content with the control scheme after getting used to it, and the automated dodge and aim functions during combat felt appropriate and reasonably well implemented. The combat was largely enjoyable, minus a couple of enemies that feel as though they require a touch more punishment then they should. Bosses were appropriately big and nasty looking, as well as providing welcome doses of fan service throughout the game's duration. Finally, the most important aspect for Metroid fans, collecting stuff is still cool and backtracking to use unlocked abilities to see where you get to go next is still as exciting and addictive as ever. 

So, it took about five paragraphs to talk about what was bad about the game, but only one to explain why it is ultimately a good game. I think I might need to work on balancing out my negative and positive opinions. 

Anyway, writing all this has left me with a couple of questions: 

1. Should there be another story driven Metroid game ?
     or 
    2. Should Nintendo stick with what it does best and just continuously remake the games you love with some shiny new extras? 

I feel like the story worked out alright in Metroid: Other M, there were some genuinely interesting developments for the Metroid lore and it's characters. However I don't know if it really needed a more prominent story. It would have been interesting to see how a new 2D metroid game would have done critically rather then them trying to shake it up a bit. I am glad they didn't just make another Prime though, that trilogy feels just right as it is. 

Anyway, I should really get to bed. I have made this post long enough already. I might consider writing some proper reviews soon, since this pretty much is one. I will see how I go. 

Ciao.
    TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TheJohn

Judging by the title of this blog, I thought it was related to Doug Stanhope.

Alas, it was not, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Even though it was a fairly long read about a game I don't care about released on a console I don't own, I read it all and felt as if I came away with an impression of the game - enough to maybe purchase it for my nephew this coming christmas.

Thank you for sharing.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By xyzygy

I really liked the whole "Adam giving orders on when you can use new items" thing. It not only serves as a means to unlock new upgrades, but it fits the story as it shows the respect and loyalty Samus had for Adam. At the start of the game, he didn't want her using her weapons and he told her that she needed to follow his orders on this mission - and she did. 

Also in terms of the whole Ridley thing, they were trying to show how Samus feels about Ridley, which is something that none of the other Metroid games have touched on at all. If Samus would have just had a "Not this again" attitude towards Ridley I think that's what would have been underwhelming, because we've never really known about how she feels about Ridley before. But thanks to that scene, we now do.

SnakeSDR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SnakeSDR
    @TheJohn said:

" Judging by the title of this blog, I thought it was related to Doug Stanhope.  Alas, it was not, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Even though it was a fairly long read about a game I don't care about released on a console I don't own, I read it all and felt as if I came away with an impression of the game - enough to maybe purchase it for my nephew this coming christmas.  Thank you for sharing. "

I'm glad you enjoyed it ^_^ 

@xyzygy said:

" I really liked the whole "Adam giving orders on when you can use new items" thing. It not only serves as a means to unlock new upgrades, but it fits the story as it shows the respect and loyalty Samus had for Adam. At the start of the game, he didn't want her using her weapons and he told her that she needed to follow his orders on this mission - and she did.  Also in terms of the whole Ridley thing, they were trying to show how Samus feels about Ridley, which is something that none of the other Metroid games have touched on at all. If Samus would have just had a "Not this again" attitude towards Ridley I think that's what would have been underwhelming, because we've never really known about how she feels about Ridley before. But thanks to that scene, we now do. "

The story did make a fairly decent effort at explaining Samus' choice to obey Adam and the history they have together. Their back story was interesting and it made it easier to put up with the "Adam authorised it" unlock method as the game progressed. However I just don't feel like it made enough sense for every one of her abilities to be unlocked from the get go, in a purely logically sense. Why can't she use her Varia Suit, Grapple Beam or even the Gravity Suit? Weapons upgrades, the speed boost and the spin attack all make reasonable enough sense if you consider the possible dangers more powerful weapons and abilities may have on the environments without scoping them out first. But the suit upgrades and grapple beam would only serve to assist in carrying out Adam's orders to explore the different sections of the Bottle Ship. I have a tendency to over state how much something annoys me, or how poor a particular element of a game may be in respect to all other video games. 

" providing the most profoundly ridiculous reason for losing your characters abilities from a previous game that I have ever encountered" I thought this particular line from my blog might have been an example of this, but on reflection I stand by it. It wasn't 'completely' inexplicable like I stated prior to this comment, but the reasoning for the disabling of Samus' abilites was not solid. They made an effort to find a way to incorporate the 'metroided' process into the narrative in a way that makes sense and I appreciated them trying a new approach. It just wasn't convincing enough for me, looking at these holes in the logic of it all. It makes sense from a gameplay standpoint to disable those abilities until certain points, thats the Metroid experience. Their method just doesn't cut it for me I'm afraid but that is my opinion. 

SPOILERS AGAIN!!! 

I know I probably don't need the spoiler tag, but I feel better if I don't spoil it for the possible 'one' person out there that wouldn't see it coming haha. 

Anyway, thats my standing on it, I can appreciate yours and I'm glad you had some input on my post. In the end it's a fun game and despite my bitching I did really like the game.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel
    @SnakeSDR: Here's how I see Samus's encounter with Ridley.  His involvement in the deaths of her parents was a very traumatic moment in her childhood, and in Super Metroid, she finally had her revenge and killed him.  No last minute escapes or temporary robot bodies; Ridley died, and his body was destroyed on Zebes when it exploded.  As someone I met at PAX put it, the moment is, in essence, like a rape victim seeing her attacker again after having every reason to believe that he was dead.

Given all of that, it's natural for Samus to be shocked when he shows back up.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By xyzygy
    @SnakeSDR: I do see what you mean when you say that it makes more sense to have her abilities all there from the start. I mean, why would someone purposefully hinder themselves in a life or death situation? But at the same time, this IS a video game. What else, given the storyline and the history of Samus, could Nintendo have done?  

I suppose they could have pulled something like, the Bottle Ship was emitting signals that prevented her from using certain features in her suit. Certain parts of the game would require you to seek out the source of the signal and destroy it to progress in the game. But then again, how many times has that been used before in games? 

I just see the whole "Adam Authorization" thing an attempt at mixing gameplay in with story, and I really applaud Nintendo for doing that. They really came out of their shell with this game and how strikingly emotional it is. Not only was I surprised with that, but the voice acting in the game was phenomenal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.