Reggie On Metroid: Other M

#1 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Nintendo of America's president, Reggie Fils-Aime, has revealed Nintendo sales projection for Metroid: Other M, the joint project between Nintendo and Team Ninja. He has also discussed how Metroid: Other M will offer a more, "traditional Metroid" experience.

In a recent Gamespot interview, Reggie openly talked about how ever since Super Metroid on the Super Nintendo, the Metroid series has failed to reach the 1.5-2 million sales mark around the world. However, he feels that if Metroid: Other M can reach that goal, Nintendo would feel it was heading in the right direction.

"Metroid is a key franchise, and in our view really since the SNES Metroid, we haven't broken through in terms of 1.5 - 2 millions units. That's our bar. That's the scale that we look at to say on a global basis this is effective."

- Reginald Fils-Aime

He has also stated how Metroid Other M will be a "traditional Metroid" He feels that even though Other M will "revitalize" the series in a creative way, it will still feel closer and more in line with the older Metroid games, than the more recent Metroid Prime games which brought the 2D adventure series into FP 3D.

"A year ago, if someone asked me what's going on with Metroid -- when are we going to go back to the more traditional Metroid series versus the path that we went down with Prime? Here's the answer: Other M,"

"As we looked at where we wanted to go with Metroid, we wanted to place Samus back in the more traditional lineage of Metroid."

"We wanted to do it in a way that had a harder edge, and we wanted to go deeper into her story and more into this Metroid mythology,"

I guess Team Ninja will be providing that harder edge. It sounds like a welcome departure, I'm really looking forward to the seeing how the project progresses.

Thoughts?

#2 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Should reach that kind of sales fine, if they actually market it then it could exceed them. Not that I care for sales, I'm just glad it's coming. The first video isn't that impressive if you look at it in detail but it's early days still, I'm sure it will improve, and the overall mood is great.

#3 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

I really want to know more about this game. Im glad they are moving on from the Prime series before it becomes stale, but we really don't know much about how this one plays yet. I'm eager to see a play session or something. Could it possibly be demoed at PAX 09?

#4 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

I doubt we will see anything now till next E3, and then no more till the game release at the end of the year most likely.. Images will keep me interested though, like Alexander says, the game still clearly needs some polish, and it will be interesting to see it progress with images alone.

An E3 demo will have more impact if nothing is shown prior, and I think Nintendo will want to have more of a impact after this years E3 ;)

#5 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Ouch, man. Metroid Prime sold poor? I think it's certainly a front-runner when it comes to being one of the best games of last gen. I think it'd be outrageous to put it anywhere outside of the top 5. I know Metroid Prime 3: Corruption hasn't sold so well, despite being, in my opinion, the best game on the Wii. As much as I've enjoyed the Prime games, I like this new direction. It's good to keep your game franchises fresh. It's pretty uncharacteristic of Nintendo franchises to have trilogies in the same manner as Metroid Prime. Usually they try bringing about something innovative and new with each iteration of their biggest franchises. Looks like it's time for Metroid to do the same.

#6 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Um, pretty sure all Prime games sold respectably. 2 the least and 1 the most I think. In line with the expectations for this game I believe.

#7 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" Um, pretty sure all Prime games sold respectably. 2 the least and 1 the most I think. In line with the expectations for this game I believe. "

Yeah, Prime 2 did not do as well as expected, Prime 1 sold significantly more. All in all, Nintendo have made ample money from the original trilogy, and now with the Play on Wii games on the way, I think Prime 2 will sell really well, and it may initiate a sales increase for Prime 3. 

PoW is going to benefit this game well I think. Pikmin 3 will benefit from the Play on Wii games also of course.

#8 Posted by Kou_Leifoh (1890 posts) -

Well, some people had some problems with Prime (Like saying stuff like they easily lost and can't finished the game). I have seen some people wanting Metroid to go back to 2D.

I never really had a problem with the first two games in the Prime series; I though they were great games. Though Prime 3 was more of the same.

If Nintendo want Metroid to sell as well as the older games, just adding 2D sequences is not the right way to go.

#9 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Yeah, there's no way 2D will be enough to push it into this gen expectations, I think Nintendo know that, they wouldn't have given it to Team Ninja otherwise. 

Action sequences are definitely going to be different I think, I kinda get that impression looking at the trailer footage. I think it's going to get a very new and unique hook mechanic, something TN may have had in works for one of their other games.

Ultimately, I just want something excitingly fresh looking,  I wont mind getting the same feeling I had when I looked at Prime for the first time and thought, this is not the direction I want Metroid to go in, only to be proved completely wrong by a great game.

#10 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

Dear Reggie,

I was wondering if you knew what a commercial was?  Apparently in August of 2007, you did not.

Sincerely,
KingBroly

#11 Posted by JebranRush (36 posts) -

This fresh take sounds like a great idea, and the trailer is stunning. Sounds like a lot of possibilities can emerge. The Metroid franchise is very high quality. Let's hope this continues to raise the bar and sell more than the 1.5-2 million mark.

#12 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

I would rather have the other M. So, yeah, fuck you, Reggie.

#13 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -
#14 Posted by Godwind (2596 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
"
@Al3xand3r said:
" Um, pretty sure all Prime games sold respectably. 2 the least and 1 the most I think. In line with the expectations for this game I believe. "

Yeah, Prime 2 did not do as well as expected, Prime 1 sold significantly more. All in all, Nintendo have made ample money from the original trilogy, and now with the Play on Wii games on the way, I think Prime 2 will sell really well, and it may initiate a sales increase for Prime 3.  PoW is going to benefit this game well I think. Pikmin 3 will benefit from the Play on Wii games also of course. "

Keep in mind that Prime 1 was packaged with some Gamecubes.
#15 Posted by captain_clayman (3328 posts) -

i really liked the trailer for the game and i really wanna see more of it.

#16 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

If this sells well we can expect, Metroid: Samus' Arm Gun Training!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.