Should I get Metroid Other M?

#1 Posted by iamtirrrred (115 posts) -

Should I get this Metroid game? Metroid Prime 3 was great but something is telling me to hold back on this game. The story and the cut-scenes are very intriguing but those are not good reasons to get a game. The reason why you should buy a game is for how fun is the gameplay, not any other reason. But anyways... back to the question. YES or No

#2 Posted by Icemael (6356 posts) -

#3 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5381 posts) -

Maybe you should watch the quicklook and read a lot of reviews to see if it's for you.

#4 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

This is what reviews are for.  If you're asking for the opinions of the general populace, most of us won't start playing the game until it's released next week.

#5 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

All the reviews seem to say that die-hard Metroid fans will probably love this no matter what. I'm a die-hard. So naturally, my answer would be 'get this game'.

#6 Posted by JoeyRavn (5007 posts) -
@iamtirrrred said:
"

Should I get this Metroid game? Metroid Prime 3 was great but something is telling me to hold back on this game. The story and the cut-scenes are very intriguing but those are not good reasons to get a game. The reason why you should buy a game is for how fun is the gameplay, not any other reason. But anyways... back to the question. YES or No

"
Although the underlined statement is highly debatle, yes, I guess. Get the game. The vast majority of the reviews are favorable.
#7 Posted by iamtirrrred (115 posts) -
@Icemael said:
"
"
LOL!
#8 Posted by iamtirrrred (115 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:
" @iamtirrrred said:
"

"
Although the underlined statement is highly debatle, yes, I guess. Get the game. The vast majority of the reviews are favorable. "
I would like to know your thoughts on the underline statement. Just Curious.
#9 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

No, the game is sexist and degrades women. Boycott.

#10 Posted by fugie7 (1109 posts) -

you always rent the game. Then you can decide if the game is good enough buy or not.

#11 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5381 posts) -
@fugie7 said:
" you always rent the game."
Some people can't do that.
#12 Posted by RoyCampbell (1096 posts) -

It's too sexist; steer clear away.

/derp

#13 Edited by JoeyRavn (5007 posts) -
@iamtirrrred said:

" @JoeyRavn said:

" @iamtirrrred said:
"

"
Although the underlined statement is highly debatle, yes, I guess. Get the game. The vast majority of the reviews are favorable. "
I would like to know your thoughts on the underline statement. Just Curious. "
Well, although I agree that good gameplay is a must, if the rest of the elements that make the game utterly fail, I wouldn't play that game. For example, Tetris with extremely ugly, garish graphics. Great gameplay, but terrible to look at. A good game should have both good gameplay and good graphics, music, mood, etc.
#14 Posted by ComradeKritstov (693 posts) -

Controls are a deal-breaker for me.

#15 Posted by Colt (110 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" @fugie7 said:
" you always rent the game."
Some people can't do that. "
this is false. anyone can do it. 

also i agree with everyone else.. far too sexist.
#16 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -
@Colt:   Not everyone has access to a local rental, and not everyone is able to use a service like Gamefly.
#17 Posted by Budster (134 posts) -

Man I'm getting this game, I read a few reviews and found some from Bitmob, Kotaku (can't believe I said that, but was actually quite a nice read), and Giantbomb to be a indicator about how much i will not regret about this game. Also I won't truly know until i play it too. Furthermore at walmart today I saw that we had metroid other m in the cage and was so tempted soooooooooo very tempted too ummmm look at it. Hope this helps XD

#18 Posted by Daveyo520 (6930 posts) -

It's up to you man.

#19 Posted by Colt (110 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @Colt:   Not everyone has access to a local rental, and not everyone is able to use a service like Gamefly. "
once again, i believe this to be false.
#20 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5381 posts) -
@Colt said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @Colt:   Not everyone has access to a local rental, and not everyone is able to use a service like Gamefly. "
once again, i believe this to be false. "
Why?
#21 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

A lot of the reviews have been favorable so if you're already interested, you may as well. Personally, the controls and the attempt at giving Metroid some kind of genuine storyline both seem off putting but I haven't played it, so I don't know.

#22 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

I don't know, should you?

#23 Posted by Colt (110 posts) -

alright, maybe not like if youre like, in a third world country.. but i thought it was implied that you'd have the ability to play video games to begin with.  

no one said the rental place had to be local, but if you want to rent a video game.. you can.  

what? does gamefly not rent to minorities or something? is it as sexist as this game? i dont get it.

#24 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5381 posts) -
@Colt: Some people don't like to pay for gamefly and some are to young to get it and they're parents won't pay for it.  Some people only have money to buy games every once in a while and paying the gamefly bills every month would not be the smartest thing to do for that person.
#25 Posted by Stealthmaster86 (678 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" This is what reviews are for.  If you're asking for the opinions of the general populace, most of us won't start playing the game until it's released next week. "
This.
#26 Posted by habster3 (3600 posts) -

The game seems to have a mixed reaction. If you can, rent it first. If not, just go for it.

#27 Posted by Deusoma (3022 posts) -

Uh, the story is definitely a good reason to play a game. Just look at Force Unleashed, or most Final Fantasys.

#28 Posted by Colt (110 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos: alright you make a point about being too young.. but my reasoning is that, other than being too young to legally own a credit card, if you really want to you can. that is all. not that you should, but the option is there. 

but the real point is. this game is sexist. samus is a woman and that is wrong.
#29 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5381 posts) -
@Colt: Obviously females are very sexist because they have boobs.
#30 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3821 posts) -
@Deusoma:   Did The Force Unleashed really have a good story?  I'm honestly asking here.
#31 Edited by Dantekiller (206 posts) -

dude i have passed the game and all i can say is yes its a buy if you are a metroid fan you will love this one its a mix of classic and new game play, the only peace of advice i have is that when entering first person view stay far way from the enemy they will piss you off if you keep geting killed at that view 

#32 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I'm not even considering just because Samus's voice makes me want to gouge my eyes out. 

I mean honestly the game itself looks decent BUT GOD DAMN THAT MUST BE THE WORST FUCKING VA IN A GAME THIS YEAR.

#33 Posted by iamtirrrred (115 posts) -
@Colt said:
" @Hailinel said:
once again, i believe this to be false. "
Colt, something is wrong with your head.   All the rental places around where I live all bankrupt, my only option would be gamefly. I found gamefly to be too expensive. Even the staff of giantbomb said that they paid the game twice over by the time they returned it. Next time before you start assuming make sure you get all the facts.
#34 Posted by iamtirrrred (115 posts) -
@ComradeKritstov said:
" Controls are a deal-breaker for me. "
This is why I am still on the fence.
#35 Posted by Colt (110 posts) -
@iamtirrrred: okay.. the point is you still have the option. i dont rent games, but i can. and so can you and everyone else. its okay man, im not mad. 

i forgive you.
#36 Posted by PK_Koopa (583 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
" I'm not even considering just because Samus's voice makes me want to gouge my eyes out. 

I mean honestly the game itself looks decent BUT GOD DAMN THAT MUST BE THE WORST FUCKING VA IN A GAME THIS YEAR. "
Agreed. The bad dialogue doesn't really help either.
I'll still get it though, maybe she gets better and I'm being to judgemental.
#37 Posted by spankingaddict (2727 posts) -

Go with your gut feeling...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.