Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid: Other M

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Aug 31, 2010

Set between the events of Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, Other M follows Samus Aran on a rescue mission to a derelict ship in deep space where she encounters her former commanding officer and a whole host of old and new trouble.

Team Ninja: Right men for the job?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By AgentJ

The history of the Metroid series has been nothing but positive, including some of the best and most influential games the industry has had the privilege of setting its eyes on. At the same time, Nintendo has had a great relationship with other studios making its games for it. It worked with Square Enix making Super Mario RPG, Sega with F-Zero GX, Capcom on the game boy Zelda games, and even one of their own smaller studios creating the masterpiece that is Metroid Prime. 
    Still, there seems to be some hesitation on the part of gamers accepting Metroid Other M, and that probably shouldn't be much of a surprise. After all, Team Ninja is more well known for the busts of the characters in their games than for any particular achievement of their own. 
    That said, it would be wrong to say that Ninja makes bad games. On  the contrary, their work on the Ninja Gaiden series laid some of the groundwork for other games to follow in its shoes, with the followup Ninja Gaiden Black being perhaps the best game on the XBOX. 
    While it is reasonable to wonder if it is the right direction, I am excited for the possibilities. If nothing else, Team Ninja certainly knows how to do action, and the absence of one Mr. Itagaki quells any fears I may have had that Samus would be taken in an unfavorable direction (not that Nintendo would allow something like that). Had I just heard that Nintendo and Ninja were teaming up without having seen the trailer or knowing any specifics, I would be pretty skeptical, but even with the little information we have I feel confident that we will get another superior product in the Metroid series.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

They have made great action games and great fighters.  I think they can do a good job on this.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ryanwho

Nothing they're good at fits with what I want out of a Metroid game. And sure I had doubts about Prime at first too but that game fully embraced its sense of exploration. When have Team Ninja ever made anything resembling a game with exploration elements. A whole game based on how Samus is in a bikini at the end of the game with ninja brawling in monster rooms is about as appealing as a punch in the junk. The only reason I would have hope is Nintendo has strick oversight, and I would hope they won't let TN release something that just mediocre and embarrasing. 
    I feel like this could be the "Star Fox Adventures" of Metroid games.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AgentJ
    @ryanwho said:
    " Nothing they're good at fits with what I want out of a Metroid game. And sure I had doubts about Prime at first too but that game fully embraced its sense of exploration. When have Team Ninja ever made anything resembling a game with exploration elements. A whole game based on how Samus is in a bikini at the end of the game with ninja brawling in monster rooms is about as appealing as a bunch in the junk. The only reason I would have hope is Nintendo has strick oversight, and I would hope they won't let TN release something that just mediocre and embarrasing. I feel like this could be the "Star Fox Adventures" of Metroid games. "
    Judging by what we saw in the trailer, and based on the absence of Itagaki, I don't think we have to worry about those specific problems. besides, this is Nintendo. They will undoubtably have strict limits on what Ninja can do with the character. 
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By cstrang
    @ryanwho said:
    " Nothing they're good at fits with what I want out of a Metroid game. "
    This.  Team Ninja makes great hack-n-slash/action-adventure games, but not of the form I expect of the Metroid series.  But, then again, "different" does not automatically mean bad.  I just don't want Metroid to turn into a reskinned Ninja Gaiden.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AgentJ
    @cstrang said:
    "  I just don't want Metroid to turn into a reskinned Ninja Gaiden. "
    I don't think anyone wants that.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryanwho

I should clarify, Im not disparaging TN. They know how to make a certain kind of game and they choose to put embarrasing shit in there that keeps me from playing them, but I hear they're fun to play. Its just, you know, square block, round hole. Like Ensemble and the Halo franchise. What you got wasn't terrible, it was just kind of perplexing.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Soul Calibur, DOAXVB 1 and 2, Ninja Gaiden

Oh and don't blame Ensemble for not being able to make a proper, functioning RTS on a console.  What's more perplexing is that MS wasted their efforts by not giving Halo Wars the PC release it so richly deserved.  It would've only worked in their favour as a marketing tool at the very least.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By vidiot

I feel that Team Ninja has proven itself as a most competent and quality developer.

That being said.

Trying to look back at Team Ninja's back-catalog, they don't at all seem to be a right fit at all. Team Ninja has gained themselves as house hold name for twitch action and...boobs (Itagaki)....But not for the more quite, subtle experiences that the Metroid series is home too. 

It's not surprising that the trailer had a bunch of 3rd person action: It's a Team Ninja game. What has to be asked is: if what was shown was a natural fit of what Metroid is, and sadly we won't know that until we get more information.

We should give them the benefit of the doubt for now. 
    I remember the clamoring and speculation up to the release of Metroid Prime, everyone was totally skeptical of a western developer setting the same design to a first person perspective. Those detractors immediately calmed down after release. I can already see one thing from the trailer that the previous Prime games only touched on: Getting to know the world better, specifically the character of Samus, the potential there is quite large. 

I understand the healthy skepticism, and as fans we should hold them to making a quality product. 
    We need to see more of the game before any adamant conclusion can be agreed on.

FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FartyMcNarly

I just read the first line and figured it wasn't even worth coming up with something witty/sarcastic/funny/pointless but some how topical to say. 

Well maybe boobs.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel

It's worth noting that the game is not being developed by Team Ninja from the ground up.  The story and some of the gameplay concepts originated with Yoshio Sakamoto, the Nintendo producer that is the defacto lead of the Metroid franchise.  This isn't Nintendo giving Team Ninja giving them free reign to do what they want.  Team Ninja is working with Nintendo to produce a game that Nintendo wants and that both Nintendo and Team Ninja can be proud of.

And as for Team Ninja's history of putting more...embarrassing material into their games, I seriously doubt that will happen with Other M.  There are some out there wondering if Samus is suddenly going to see a rather dramatic increase in bust size, but we should all know that, jokes aside, it's obviously not going to happen.

And if you want to talk about track records, Retro Studios had no track record before Metroid Prime, aside from the individual career paths that each of their employees had taken prior to Retro's formation.  There was honestly far more reason to be skeptical of Metroid Prime's quality than of Other M's.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By VanderSEXXX

Well the only thing Im skeptical about is the new Team Ninja line-up, since Mr.Itagaki left along with the original members of Team Ninja, Im not quite sure as to how they will do things compared to how Mr.Itagaki will do it cause I kinda saw the major difference between the Ninja Gaiden 2 for Xbox and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 for PS3 (which I own) and to me those 2 are nearly different games based on the changes done. 

I may not own an X360 but I think I played enough Ninja Gaiden 2 there to be able to compare the changes done with NG:Sigma 2 when I bought for PS3. Hopefully they may deliver a decent or if not revolutionary change to the Metroid franchise as I was actually excited for it after seeing its trailer.:D

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By C2C

To be quite frank, I honestly do not know how Team Ninja is going to treat this game. 

Since Itagaki left and took a lot of Team Ninja with him (he formed Tokyo Vikings I believe) I really do not know how the current Team Ninja will perform with this game.  This is, for all intents and purposes, a new developer handling this Metroid.  It makes me wonder if Itagaki was still around when Nintendo contracted Team Ninja for this specific job.

It will be interesting to see how Other M turns out.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By torus

It comes down to one thing: breast physics.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#15  Edited By Hailinel
    @ryanwho said:
    " Nothing they're good at fits with what I want out of a Metroid game. And sure I had doubts about Prime at first too but that game fully embraced its sense of exploration. When have Team Ninja ever made anything resembling a game with exploration elements. A whole game based on how Samus is in a bikini at the end of the game with ninja brawling in monster rooms is about as appealing as a punch in the junk. The only reason I would have hope is Nintendo has strick oversight, and I would hope they won't let TN release something that just mediocre and embarrasing. I feel like this could be the "Star Fox Adventures" of Metroid games. "
    Judging by the press impressions yesterday, it's likely not going to turn out this way.  This game is far more a traditional Metroid in terms of its controls and gameplay than I think any of us were really expecting.  There's new stuff, sure, but this isn't Metroid Gaiden.
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Supermarius

I  do have some concerns myself. I dont want to see Samus' universe turn out to be all anime style. Now maybe it was allways concieved to be that way, but the lack of character interaction the series left alot up to the player's imagination. Dont get me wrong i think good anime is neat, but metroid really has a unique aesthetic that i dont want to see muddied with standard anime visual and writing tropes. 

Also there has been a bad or ill-concieved metroid games. Specifically metroid prime pinball. Nintendo will do bad things with Samus sometimes.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By trylks

This is going to make a difference, that's for sure, I don't know if for the good or for the bad. Actually the last metroid game I played is super metroid, so I don't know how is the franchise going, but back then it was really good. 

@ryanwho
    said:

A whole game based on how Samus is in a bikini at the end of the game with ninja brawling in monster rooms is about as appealing as a punch in the junk. 

Samus had a bikini under the armor in super medroid, and it was visible each time your amor broke (and you died). So that specific point wouldn't be a big difference when compared with other changes that may happen in the gameplay, which seems to be more close combat now.
    Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Damian

I like seeing franchises being given a new treatment by a new team. It certainly doesn't always work. But it's interesting enough to have a go at it. If it fails, they'll still make other Metroids.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I think it's good that Nintendo are giving another company a chance to develop for one of their major franchises. Nintendo have done a great job on Metroid but it will be interesting to see it tackled from the point of view of another high-quality game developer.

ShadowZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By ShadowZ
    @Gamer_152 said:
    " I think it's good that Nintendo are giving another company a chance to develop for one of their major franchises. Nintendo have done a great job on Metroid but it will be interesting to see it tackled from the point of view of another high-quality game developer. "
    I agree with this 100%. 

Nintendo tried something new and fresh.  Team ninja does a good job on their games for the most part.
    OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By OneManX

Having played, beaten, and reviewed it on here...

The GAME is fun, the story is balls.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By Willy105
    @OneManX said:
    " Having played, beaten, and reviewed it on here...  The GAME is fun, the story is balls. "
    So it's Team Ninja then.
    SilvarusLupus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By SilvarusLupus

I was never a fan of Team Ninja myself.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By CharleyTony

Im not a huge fan of Team Ninja but they did good work here. It must have been Nintendo itself that didn't want to keep Metroid games in the FPS genre. when you look at the hardware they had to work with, this game is really nice. 

One thing that keeps bothering me is that when you get an item, instead of hearing that classic metroid tune, you get some kind of Ninja Gaiden sound effect. Pretty lame IMO. Isn't that the exact sound of Ryu Hayabusa kicking a chest ?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.