Wait... is this game actually good?

#1 Posted by NTM (7486 posts) -

I have been having the feeling ever since its release that this game wasn't very good; have I been wrong? I was just reading and watching reviews, but I also watched some of the earlier parts of the game including the intro, and the game looks really great. So, should I be getting this? By the way, what's up with the crappy G4 review? I remember that and I can't help but think the reviewer had a personal problem with the character and that's what made her hate the game. I for one think Samus looks even more interesting than she's ever been shown.

#2 Edited by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

I liked it.

They could have fixed the controls somewhat, but it wasn't anywhere near unplayable. They could have fixed the story and characterization a little bit, but it definitely wasn't terrible.

#3 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

People hate the game because of what they made to Samus. But it is a pretty good game.

#4 Posted by Heltom92 (714 posts) -

It's not amazing or anything but it's good. The main problem is that can'y use the nunchuk analogue stick so you have to use the D-pad to navigate a 3D enviroment.

#5 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Opening wounds again, huh. The game is alright but it's not to my preferences. I prefer Prime. Also, story wasn't interesting for me. You might like it, you might not.

#6 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -

Too much whining over characterisastion and 'canon', too little focus on the actual mechanics is the impression I had of the game's reception. Not saying that the story or feminist issues are misplaced, mind you, but the controversy over it has overshadowed any relatively objective discussion of the game's merits.

#7 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Its not a bad game at all.

Loved it, 100%'d it, would definitely play a sequel like it.

#8 Posted by Constable_Wiggum (103 posts) -

I had no problem with the game. Couldn't take some of the voice acting in the cut scenes, particularly Samus, but the the game itself was quite good.

#9 Posted by Daiphyer (1341 posts) -

I saw this game for 10$ the other day. It was crazy seeing a Metroid game for that price. Especially a recent one.

#10 Posted by chrissedoff (2153 posts) -

it's worse than bad. it's garbage.

#11 Posted by punpun (232 posts) -

It's a really fun game as long as you don't let yourself get all bent out of shape about the story, dialogue, voice acting, characterization, whatever.

#12 Posted by AjayRaz (12441 posts) -

where's hailinel when you need him? 

#13 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11918 posts) -
@AjayRaz said:
He'll be here soon enough. Like flies to honey or Video_Game_King to a topic about Devil Survivor, he will come. And tell us that Other M is a great game. And I'm sure it is or whatever, but it's not something I'm actively going to go out of my way to play.
#14 Posted by NTM (7486 posts) -

Is Samus really presented as an uninteresting and somewhat whiny character? Or is she pretty cool?

#15 Posted by Heltom92 (714 posts) -
@NTM: Well the voice actor kind of sucks and Samus comes across as a damsel in distress at times. For example she is frozen with fear when she sees Ridley, even though she has beaten him several times at this point in the timeline.
#16 Posted by Zippedbinders (1017 posts) -

If you like Metroid for reasons other than story, yes, it is an objectively good game.

#17 Posted by NTM (7486 posts) -
@Daiphyer: It must have been on sale somewhere? 
#18 Posted by fox01313 (5083 posts) -

From what I recall of the G4 review, they liked many of the previous Metroid games & this one (especially on how they made it where she has all her powers but can't use them until someone says so, concentrating for ammo to recharge, ect.), was just disappointing to them. Granted you're welcome to try it if you want but it's not like many other Metroid games in many ways.

#19 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -
@NTM
On its own, Metroid Other M is a good game. But as a the successor to Prime 1, 2 and 3, it's pretty much  lacking.
#20 Posted by NTM (7486 posts) -
@fox01313: I do like the other Metroid games a lot, but not enough to say I would mind a change. If it's good, it's good.
#21 Posted by JackSukeru (5922 posts) -

@owl_of_minerva said:

Too much whining over characterisastion and 'canon', too little focus on the actual mechanics is the impression I had of the game's reception. Not saying that the story or feminist issues are misplaced, mind you, but the controversy over it has overshadowed any relatively objective discussion of the game's merits.

This is how I would have phrased my response, had I been able to.

#22 Posted by august (3854 posts) -

@NTM said:

Is Samus really presented as an uninteresting and somewhat whiny character? Or is she pretty cool?
#23 Posted by Revan_NL (345 posts) -

It's a good game. It's just not a good Metroid game. I'm not a huge Metroid fanatic myself so I enjoyed it, but I can see how a hardcore Metroid fan would go bananas on some of the things that Team Ninja did with Samus.

#24 Posted by Zor (657 posts) -

I liked the game. I would recommend that you at least rent it. 

As for G4, and some of hate the game gets... well, in my opinion it is a case of people building up the character for Samus in their minds, over the years, and when their image of Samus differ from the game's image, they became very upset. G4 wanted a psychopathic robotic kill machine and instead got a messed up, melodramatic orphan.

#25 Posted by Daiphyer (1341 posts) -
@NTM: It was in the bargain bin area. The place where games like My Horse and Me 2 are in. Needless to say, I was quite shocked.
#26 Posted by CaptainCody (1508 posts) -
@Zor said:
I liked the game. I would recommend that you at least rent it.  As for G4, and some of hate the game gets... well, in my opinion it is a case of people building up the character for Samus in their minds, over the years, and when their image of Samus differ from the game's image, they became very upset. G4 wanted a psychopathic robotic kill machine and instead got a messed up, melodramatic orphan.

Not even, she's a bounty hunter, and fusion displayed her having some ties to people like Adam, (Fusion also being the best in the entire series for me.) Secondly, taking anyone to heart on G4 besides the Sess is already stupid, reviews are recommendations not laws. Thirdly, What is Metroid without characterization but another action game? She could've easily been characterized as a hardass just getting them paychecks to get smashed at a spacebar, but nope.
#27 Posted by 02sfraser (847 posts) -

I really enjoyed playing it but the story is awful and I don't like the way Samus is portrayed. In fact, I don't like any of the characters. Or the way you upgrade a lot of your equipment. Didn't seem very well thought out.

#28 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

Right here.

Actually, I just got a quest for having five people agree and five people disagree with my review of this game. The quest's icon is a cartoon representation of Roger Ebert. Ugh.

Anyway, yes, it's an excellent game, and I loved every minute of it. A lot of the hate that was spewed at the game was spewed mostly by people with a bone to pick over Samus's character direction. So much so that any discussion of the gameplay took a backseat. And it's a fun game to play. It has it's unusual quirks, but the game is fun, and it manages to capture the feel of an old, side-scrolling Metroid game without confining itself to two dimensions.

#29 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Yes. It is. Go get it.

#30 Edited by xyzygy (10032 posts) -

It's really good. I 100%-ed the game on Normal and then beat it on Hard. I really loved the game, the only thing I didn't like was the first person view but that's something I got over fast. 

I really love how they present Samus as such a dependent, broken and almost completely self-conscious protagonist. The relationship she has with Adam is beyond fucked up when you really analyze her character. I love how she's not some strong, smart, sassy female hero.

#31 Posted by just_nonplussed (127 posts) -
@Klei said:
@NTM: On its own, Metroid Other M is a good game. But as a the successor to Prime 1, 2 and 3, it's pretty much  lacking.
Well, it's not really a successor to the Prime series. It's a direct sequel to Super Metroid. It's old-school Metroid design.
#32 Edited by just_nonplussed (127 posts) -
@NTM said:

Well, that depends on your own personal outlook. I like her character. I think the way she was written was fitting for what she/the player had experienced in previous games. She was always positioned as this rogue-like character that was quite radical, and in Other: M she has to follow orders from her superior. If you enjoy stories about authority, freedom and control you'll like it.
#33 Posted by demonbear (1860 posts) -

Screw the haters, I think its great, they tried something different with that franchise while keeping this cool "metroid" feel to it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.