Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Aug 28, 2007

The finale to the Metroid Prime trilogy sees its debut on the Wii.

Metroid Prime: The Formula has lost its steam.

zhinse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By zhinse

Or so it seems that way. This game was my favorite Wii game ever (Super Mario Galaxy stole the title). The pacing was good and the action was fast. It isn't exactly my favorite metroid prime ( i like 1 better for some reason) but it was a well made one. 

Retro didn't mess with the formula at all in the game. And it could  be felt as i was playing. Thinking about it though, i don't know what they really can change. It's Metroid and you play as Samus. Could you guys happily play another Metroid Prime game with no complaints at all or would you rather have something else happen to Samus? At this point, does sticking with tradition that was created with the prime games and especially the old 2-D games still matter?
    Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Bass

The formula was messed with though! The ability to change which weapon you could use was really off-putting to me. In Corruption, you just got a new beam and it overwrote the one before it... Boo.
    Not that it wasn't a good game. It was, but it have been a little bit more Metroidy

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Not a Nintendo gamer, and DEFINITELY  not a Metroid or Metroid Prime gamer, didn't really like the presentation and pacing.

MEBs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MEBs

Prime definitely threw alot of people off. Took a while before people realized it wasn't just an FPS. I really enjoyed it though.

Too bad its sequels were nothing more than expansions.

-Evan

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lashe

I'm probably putting my ass on the line and going to be hounded here but I felt that Corruption lost the Metroid feel -- the opening scene, frankly, was straight out of Halo. A far cry from the lonely, atmospheric openings to all the 2D Metroids, and even Prime 1.

I'm not saying at all that it was a bad game, but it just didn't feel like Metroid. I stand by the opinion that Fusion has been the best contemporary Metroid game.

What I would love to see though is a 2D Metroid game on a home console, higher resolution, fluid motions, great use of colour, etc. I really don't think the 2D scene is dead. I mean look at what Braid did. That game was absolutely beautiful -- a contemporary Metroid 2D game would be a must-buy!

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    Lashe said:
    "I'm probably putting my ass on the line and going to be hounded here but I felt that Corruption lost the Metroid feel -- the opening scene, frankly, was straight out of Halo. A far cry from the lonely, atmospheric openings to all the 2D Metroids, and even Prime 1.

I'm not saying at all that it was a bad game, but it just didn't feel like Metroid. I stand by the opinion that Fusion has been the best contemporary Metroid game.

What I would love to see though is a 2D Metroid game on a home console, higher resolution, fluid motions, great use of colour, etc. I really don't think the 2D scene is dead. I mean look at what Braid did. That game was absolutely beautiful -- a contemporary Metroid 2D game would be a must-buy!"
    Braid, now looking at it for hours, is starting to look tired and washy. The art is a little too soft for me.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By wefwefasdf

I would love another 2D Metroid game. Fusion was amazing.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lashe

BestUsernameEver said:

"Lashe said:
    "I'm probably putting my ass on the line and going to be hounded here but I felt that Corruption lost the Metroid feel -- the opening scene, frankly, was straight out of Halo. A far cry from the lonely, atmospheric openings to all the 2D Metroids, and even Prime 1.

What I would love to see though is a 2D Metroid game on a home console, higher resolution, fluid motions, great use of colour, etc. I really don't think the 2D scene is dead. I mean look at what Braid did. That game was absolutely beautiful -- a contemporary Metroid 2D game would be a must-buy!"
    Braid, now looking at it for hours, is starting to look tired and washy. The art is a little too soft for me."
    I can see what you mean, yeah. But that's more of a taste thing to be fair, but its hard not to at least appreciate the time and effort it must have taken
    zhinse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zhinse

What do you think they can do with a 3-D game though? I think it's almost next to impossible to come up with some new mechanics while still remaining very Metroid. 

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lashe

Yeah, I know.. Hmm. I don't know. Prime 1 was pretty much spot on I thought. But I guess it's only natural for the game to change, but I just felt with Corruption that they borrowed a lot of the things from other games.. Which I wouldn't mind but given the platform and potential that the Wii has, I just felt pretty let down.

I dunno. It's probably a lot harder to innovate these days, I should really give devs a break =P

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By hazelnutman

MOAR 2-D METROID!!!

Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion are two of my favorite Metroid Games. I've played pretty much every metroid game I can think of, and the 2-D ones were always the funnest for me.

However, I think that the 3D ones were perfectly translated from 2D to 3D.

zhinse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zhinse

What were missing from the prime games do you guys think? It had personality. Had the jumping. the first one had the feeling of solitude.  

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I think Metroid Prime 3 was really great. I still believe it is the best game on the Wii, however not quite as good as Metroid Prime 1 (though I think MP1 is one of the finest games ever made). I liked how Corruption tried doing new things. I liked how humans had a more prominent role in the game, and how at times you were working together with other bounty hunters at times and travelling back and forth between multiple planets. I thought the level design was fantastic and generally very smart. Incorporating new mechanics for Samus' ship opened up some interesting puzzles, and being able to unlock multiple ship ports was convenient for cutting back on backtracking. I don't really have much to complain about with Corruption. I think it's a solid entry in the Metroid franchise.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By Arkthemaniac

They know it's becoming repetitious. That's why they're taking a break from Metroid.

Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Knives
    zhinse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zhinse

You know what Metroid needs?! Co-op Campaign! that should shake up the formula enough. might take away the feeling of solitude though, but you can be alone together :D 

you guys think an idea like that would work?
    Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Patchinko

Interesting topic, and one I was thinking about on my own a few days ago, so I'm glad you brought it up.

I love MP3. Just getting that out of the way right now.

And I'll admit that I only played the original Metroid Prime a little bit, and never played MP2.  So MP3 was pretty much "new" to me.

But yeah, if a MP4 were released on Wii and it was basically the same gameplay generally, I'd be a little bored. It's the same reason I don't find new Halo games particularly interesting, or most FPSes in general.

One advantage MP has is that it's both a platformer and a FPS. To keep these types of games fresh, usually they give you novel items and abilities. Things like a power sword, or a grappling hook. They give you new environments and newer, crazier, even more ridiculous enemies.

So yeah, there's always that way to go.

As for those types of ideas, one I was thinking about would be a fully-maneuverable space suit kind of add-on, where they could have fully three dimensional stages and include momentum physics that have to be accounted for. Might be an interesting gameplay addition/change. And it doesn't have to be in the Metroid universe, but then again it's just kind of sitting there waiting for another game, so why not?

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zitosilva
    zhinse said:
    "Or so it seems that way. This game was my favorite Wii game ever (Super Mario Galaxy stole the title). The pacing was good and the action was fast. It isn't exactly my favorite metroid prime ( i like 1 better for some reason) but it was a well made one. 
    Retro didn't mess with the formula at all in the game. And it could  be felt as i was playing. Thinking about it though, i don't know what they really can change. It's Metroid and you play as Samus. Could you guys happily play another Metroid Prime game with no complaints at all or would you rather have something else happen to Samus? At this point, does sticking with tradition that was created with the prime games and especially the old 2-D games still matter?
    "
    I agree with you, while I think that Prime 1 was better I think thet Prime 3 is still the best game for the Wii.
    I also agree that it, while not in a revolutionary way, broke the formula just a little bit by not making you completly lonely. But I thought it was done in a very good way. While it made you be more focused on your missions, once you were on a planet the lonely feeling was again present.

Now, where could they go now I really don't know. I do agree that they have to change. At least in the power-ups concept, because we've been getting the same things for three games now, maybe four if you count that most of it came from Super Metroid (which is still the best in the series for me).
    The Exploration still works well, but change will definitely be welcomed.
    Pezjulo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Pezjulo

I actually enjoyed the Prime games a lot, I think it gave the series a new life and the storyline is quite interesting. I would like to see a new one, but obviously following a different story (since the Prime sequel ends in Corruption). However, I have also wondered what a 2-D console Metroid would be like

zhinse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zhinse

The thing that i found about Metroid though is that when you got new items they really really make you use it, unlike what i felt like in Twilight Princess where items you get was only fun in the dungeon you got them in. I also agree that we've been getting the same power ups that we have always been getting. In Metroid Prime 1 it was fresh to see the old abilities fleshed out in a 3-D world. 

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zitosilva
    zhinse said:
    "The thing that i found about Metroid though is that when you got new items they really really make you use it, unlike what i felt like in Twilight Princess where items you get was only fun in the dungeon you got them in. I also agree that we've been getting the same power ups that we have always been getting. In Metroid Prime 1 it was fresh to see the old abilities fleshed out in a 3-D world. "
    But I don't think that Metroid and Zelda are a really good comparison. Okay, I understand the "getting itens that let you go to new places" part, but still they are different.

A game that followed the Metroid trend is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and the subsequent games for advance and DS.
    zhinse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zhinse

what is Retro Studios doing now?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By Dalai

Yeah, I don't really want to see another Metroid FPS for a long time... I loved Corruption, but it started to lose that Metroid feel in a number of ways.  I'm hoping the next Metroid goes back to 2D temporarily or if they're sticking with 3D, perhaps going 3rd person.

zhinse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By zhinse

Wasn't Metroid Prime originally supposed to be a third person game but then Shigeru Miyamoto actually told them to make it first person? 

zhinse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zhinse

Damn the discussion has died

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

2.5D all the way. Hopefully for the DS. A Dual Screen Metroid game would actually make me want to play my DS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.