Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid Prime Trilogy

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Aug 24, 2009

All three Metroid Prime titles in one package. Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes are reworked to include 480p widescreen, motion controls, and achievements.

Anyone playing this?

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By doctordonkey

I haven't touched Prime 2&3, and haven't played Prime 1 since when it was released (I think I was 12). I beat the first one back then, but I wasn't old or experienced enough to truly appreciate the insane work that went into the level design of these games. I haven't seen level design this impressive, this meticulously crafted since Symphony of the Night, and I'm only half-way through the first game. From what I've heard, Prime 2 has possibly the greatest level design of any game ever made, so I'm really excited to see it.

Anybody have any experience with the series? Thoughts? This very well might end up being my favorite video game trilogy.

Edit: I'd recommend anyone starting fresh to do two things: first, play on Veteran. In addition to the new motion controls being easier than the old GC controls, the trilogy's "Veteran" mode is the original games' "Normal". Second, make sure when you are playing Prime 1&2 that you switch "free-aim lock" off. There are mechanics and bosses in those first 2 games that assume you can just auto-lock onto a target and not have to worry about aiming. Prime 3 introduced this, so obviously you should turn it back on when playing 3.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I have all three games for the Gamecube. Haven't played them in a few years but I remember enjoying my time with them. You definitely cannot go wrong with them for a measly $10.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I was hoping to be able to play them with the gamepad or a pro controller but for just ten bucks I might still grab them anyways while theyre on sale.

Syce300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Syce300

I absolutely loved the whole trilogy and always kicked myself for never getting the Wii collection before prices got insane. I've actually been wanting to replay the series since last Summer but unfortunately no longer own a Wii or Gamecube and was so excited to play this last weekend only to discover I don't have a Wii nunchuck with me and it'll be a week or two before I get the chance to stop at my Mom's place and grab one of my old ones. As soon as I acquire one though I'm gonna immediately jump in and/or make my roommate jump in and play through all three again and have a blast! Except for fighting the Boost Guardian. FUCK the Boost Guardian.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought it even though I don't own a wiimote. My friend owned the first game and I had a save file that I'd play when I'd visit, but I never got a chance to really dig deep, so I'm really excited to check it out. Now I just have to buy a damn wiimote.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By colourful_hippie

I was hoping to be able to play them with the gamepad or a pro controller but for just ten bucks I might still grab them anyways while theyre on sale.

Same, the motion controls made those games a little too easy

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I have all three games for the Gamecube. Haven't played them in a few years but I remember enjoying my time with them. You definitely cannot go wrong with them for a measly $10.

Pretty sure 3 wasn't on the GameCube.

DJMoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was not a fan of the motion controls in Prime 3. It wasn't terrible, I just hate having to fish out batteries. Plus, there were definitely a handful of annoying moments. I prefer playing the first 2 primes on a gamecube with no motion control gimmicks.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I never actually got around to playing them when they first came out, so I jumped at the chance to get em now. Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat as a couple other people here where I (for some reason) assumed I'd be able to use my gamepad/pro controller and now have to go out and buy another wiimote and nunchuck in order to actually play it. Ah well.

triplestan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By triplestan

I have the required Wiimote and Nunchuck, but playing this game reminds me of how much I hate using the Wiimote and Nunchuck! It's just a series of hurdles with these games!

For real, I'm digging them, but I cant seem to push myself to keep playing for some reason, though the love I see for those games on this site has motivated me to continue. Earthbound is holding all of my attention currently, so when I finish up with that I'm going to dive back into the game in a big way. If I don't enjoy it I'm holding all of you accountable!

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'd recommend anyone starting fresh to do two things: first, play on Veteran. In addition to the new motion controls being easier than the old GC controls, the trilogy's "Veteran" mode is the original games' "Normal". Second, make sure when you are playing Prime 1&2 that you switch "free-aim lock" off. There are mechanics and bosses in those first 2 games that assume you can just auto-lock onto a target and not have to worry about aiming. Prime 3 introduced this, so obviously you should turn it back on when playing 3. I'll add this to the OP.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By nickhead

Metroid Prime led me down the path of playing almost every single Metroid game. Only ones I didn't complete were the original NES version, and Other M. This is such a great deal and I hope more people jump on it. The Prime series had amazing atmosphere, and the story actually got more interesting to me as the series went on, instead of getting worse like most trilogies.

It's a crime that Nintendo isn't doing anything with Metroid. I would kill for a 3DS sidescroller.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Corevi
    @nickhead said:

It's a crime that Nintendo isn't doing anything with Metroid. I would kill for a 3DS sidescroller.

The studio that made the Punch Out remake was going to do a Metroid 3DS game but it never happened. The concept art for Samus looked awesome though.

No Caption Provided

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All three Prime games for $10 sounds like an excellent deal to me. 1 and 2 are some of the best games ever created. I still intend to go back and actually play 3 sometime and see if it holds up.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

From what I've heard, Prime 2 has possibly the greatest level design of any game ever made, so I'm really excited to see it.

Eh... OK, I could see someone making that argument, but I think the first one is better. Not by miles, though, we're talking about games of a ridiculously high caliber. Play them both.

All three Prime games for $10 sounds like an excellent deal to me. 1 and 2 are some of the best games ever created. I still intend to go back and actually play 3 sometime and see if it holds up.

I have never finished Prime 3. Kind of a shame on my part, but, I don't know, something about that game didn't do much for me. Too many other people in it and you can fly away to other planets. I didn't like either of those aspects in my Metroid, although the design in Metroid Prime 3 is still top notch and you should still play it.

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
    SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Prime series got better as time went on, when 2 came out it was regarded as a difficult game that was worse than the first one, but going back to it now, I feel as if those people were wrong. Prime is still a great game and it holds up surprisingly well for an old 3D game. And I spent countless hours on 3 when that came out 100% on all of the difficulties [goddamn hyper]. This bundle is a must buy especially since it is so cheap.

I don't get why people hate other characters showing up in Metroid games, in Prime 3, you actually got to see other bounty hunters and fought alongside the silly GFeds. BUT that was only a small part of the game itself, because most of it is still a classic Metroid game at heart. This is the game along with Super Metroid that Nintendo needs to look at when making the next one wether it is 3D or 2D, more open design, light story, other inhabitants, and ship traversal.

pkmnfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did not pick this up on WiiU. That is because I purchased the disk ages ago, when it was new!

I love all three games, though I think Metroid Prime 2 is my favourite. Metroid Prime 1 is basically a remake of Super Metroid in 3D, while 2 shows what the team could do when given a bit of wiggle room to come up with their own shit. Metroid Prime 3 is great too, but it has some seriously annoying backtracking in parts (Elysia, I'm looking at you!).

I wonder... since they basically took a big steaming dump on the series with Metroid: Other M, have they looked at its reception and said "Nope, no one likes Metroid any more, pack it up!" I hope not.

RIP Ridley, you're not coming back for this one :(

Avatar image for deactivated-60534c109535a
    deactivated-60534c109535a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Yeah i did play metroid prime trilogy this weekend and also started on MP2 Echoes holy shit is it still amazing when the music hits, despite some aging graphics i love the series. Hope for comeback in 2016 if you wonder why it's the Metroid Series 30th anniversary next year, since the original released 1986.

Metroid other M was kinda lacking, but if you have played metroid fusion then you will understand who adam really is. "Any objection Lady?" hehe. PS! i cleared metroid prime on veteran difficulty. the time was about 11:20 and 87% items, so a new personal record for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.