Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid: Zero Mission

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 09, 2004

A GBA Metroid game and remake of the original Metroid for the NES. It also depicts what happens immediately after the self destruct sequence by Mother Brain.

Metroid: Zero Mission: Vinyl Verdict

RAmpersaND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 29

Edited By RAmpersaND

Ever since I first completed Zero Mission, I've thought of the game as "that sort-of-sequel to Fusion that wasn't quite as good". But now that I've just completed the game for a second time, I've come to the conclusion that I've actually been giving Zero Mission too much credit; there are few respects in which the game outshines its predecessor, and that's especially bizarre considering that Zero Mission and Fusion were developed by the same team.

The Good: Zero Mission's pacing is great... up until the point at which the original Metroid ended. (After that, the game awkwardly continues with a lengthy epilogue that doesn't really jive with the rest of the game.) Whereas Fusion had terrific graphics and fantastic level design, Zero Mission has merely decent graphics and respectable level design. Zero Mission may, however, have the better music of the two. (The game's best tunes should be instantly familiar to any Melee fan.) 

The Bad: Zero Mission's story is non-existent beyond a handful of still images that I hesitate to call "cut scenes". And the game's bosses are virtually all letdowns, since most of them can be quickly defeated by simply firing a stream of missiles at them until they explode. (Later bosses are actually easier than earlier bosses, since the strategy for bringing them down remains the same, all while Samus's newly-acquired Super Missiles make her 5x more powerful!)

The Stand-out Moment: The startling appearance (and re-appearance) of the game's first boss.

The Verdict: 7.5 (out of 10)

I can't help but note here that it took me less than three hours to beat this game. While I value quality over quantity, Zero Mission doesn't do itself any favors by ending almost as soon as it's begun.

RAmpersaND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By RAmpersaND

Ever since I first completed Zero Mission, I've thought of the game as "that sort-of-sequel to Fusion that wasn't quite as good". But now that I've just completed the game for a second time, I've come to the conclusion that I've actually been giving Zero Mission too much credit; there are few respects in which the game outshines its predecessor, and that's especially bizarre considering that Zero Mission and Fusion were developed by the same team.

The Good: Zero Mission's pacing is great... up until the point at which the original Metroid ended. (After that, the game awkwardly continues with a lengthy epilogue that doesn't really jive with the rest of the game.) Whereas Fusion had terrific graphics and fantastic level design, Zero Mission has merely decent graphics and respectable level design. Zero Mission may, however, have the better music of the two. (The game's best tunes should be instantly familiar to any Melee fan.) 

The Bad: Zero Mission's story is non-existent beyond a handful of still images that I hesitate to call "cut scenes". And the game's bosses are virtually all letdowns, since most of them can be quickly defeated by simply firing a stream of missiles at them until they explode. (Later bosses are actually easier than earlier bosses, since the strategy for bringing them down remains the same, all while Samus's newly-acquired Super Missiles make her 5x more powerful!)

The Stand-out Moment: The startling appearance (and re-appearance) of the game's first boss.

The Verdict: 7.5 (out of 10)

I can't help but note here that it took me less than three hours to beat this game. While I value quality over quantity, Zero Mission doesn't do itself any favors by ending almost as soon as it's begun.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By luce

I disagree but whatevs 

What do you mean by "Vinyl Verdict"?  I went into this thread thinking i was going to see a Metroid: ZM vinyl sountrack

RAmpersaND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RAmpersaND
    @luce: What exactly do you disagree with?

"Vinyl Verdict" is just the term that I use when I'm reviewing old games that I've already beaten at least once before. (It's a pun on "Final Verdict", which is the term that I use when I'm reviewing new games that I've just beaten for the first time.)
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By luce

Basically all listed in the "bad" and some things listed in the "good".

The pacing is junk and kind of gets weird (but interesting) towards the end. The story in most Metroid games tends to hide in the background of atmosphere which is the case in this game. Its definitely there but it isn't hitting you in the face. 

And i thought the boss fights were terrific but to each his/her own (btw i'm not reviewing your review i'm just spitting out my own opinion because i effin love this game)

I'm going to steal "Vinyl Verdict"

RAmpersaND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RAmpersaND
    @luce: If you thought the boss battles in Zero Mission were terrific, I hope you've played Fusion, too; its bosses really put Zero Mission's to shame.

And if you do start using the term "Vinyl Verdict", be sure to credit me with a link!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.