Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid

Franchise »

The Metroid series follows the missions of Samus Aran--a bounty hunter for the Galactic Federation--as she explores the galaxy fighting off Space Pirates and a variety of other enemies.

Favourite main-line (numbered) Metroid game?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Poll Favourite main-line (numbered) Metroid game? (48 votes)

Metroid 2%
    Metroid II: Return of Samus 0%
    Super Metroid (Metroid 3) 58%
    Metroid Fusion (Metroid 4) 25%
    *no opinion* 15%

Personally, I think they've gotten progressively better. I found the original Metroid more frustrating than fun. Metroid II was a lot more enjoyable to me - the exploration felt a lot less tedious and I appreciated the more goal-directed approach (i.e. the progress counter in the bottom corner).

I'd say Super Metroid is a huge step up from the previous two games. But Metroid Fusion feels like a perfection the formula: great enemy encounters (particularly SA-X and Nightmare), palpable atmosphere with some really tense moments (again, primarily SA-X and Nightmare), and chaining together long sequences of moves feels fantastic.

• 
    BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I feel like the games have gotten progressively more broad as they move on through the years. What the gain mass market appeal, they also progressively lose the je ne sai quoi that made them original and unique to begin with.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

I'm just gonna vote for Super Metroid and move on

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

Metroid Fusion is super linear in comparison, though. The world in that game doesn't really feel like it's opened up until really late in the game. Super Metroid easily has the most interesting, best laid out level design I've ever seen. It's so easy to get lost, explore, find a bunch of things, and then find your way back to some familiar area.

My favorite Metroid game for atmosphere is Prime, I think that game's pretty damn amazing, too.

I do enjoy Fusion quite a bit, I can beat it in an afternoon and there is no shortage of afternoons where I've just picked it up and run straight through. But I don't think it's great. I don't like the story - it's fine, but I think there's too much of it and it's too plainly laid out for what I want from the series. Fusion kind of occupies the same place that Prime 2 and 3 do for me - it's good, really good, but it's far from being as good as Super or Prime.

EDIT: Metroid II is not a game that holds up. Have any of you tried to play that game recently? How did you like jumping up and down a bunch of those vertical corridors? How did you like jumping up and down a bunch of them that looked exactly the same because you need to grab the Ice Beam again, because for some reason you can't carry all the beams with you at once?

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It may seem petty, but I would like the first two way more if they had a map. I playef Metroid so much as a kid I've more or lessmemorized the lauout, but I pity anyone going in there fresh.

kmfrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By kmfrob

They may not be mainline titles, but the two on the GBA are both awesome. I haven't played Prime so I don't know too much about them, but the GBA titles are up there in my top 20 games.

Edit: Sorry I realise now that Fusion is one of the GBA games... Duh!

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I voted 'no opinion' mostly because I like all three Metroid Prime games more than every other.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I have a lot of trouble deciding between Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, but I think Fusion might *just* eke it out.

VideoGameMobes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's between Super and Fusion for me on this list. Don't care for the two first games.

Possible surprising to you folks, but I like Other M quite a bit. It plays about as good as Fusion. Though it's not as good as the aforementioned two because of large story vision chunks I don't agree with and lack of memorable music.

The actual answer is 'Prime 1'.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.