Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid

Franchise »

The Metroid series follows the missions of Samus Aran--a bounty hunter for the Galactic Federation--as she explores the galaxy fighting off Space Pirates and a variety of other enemies.

Happy 25th Birthday Metroid!

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
    just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

Edited By just_nonplussed

Some people love you. Well, maybe not Nintendo because they haven't bothered to do anything.

Anyway, some musicians have created a free tribute album celebrating the series through the eras. It's fitting as music has always been a strong part of the Metroid experience. 

No Caption Provided

Game Informer has the story, and the link to the music. 
    Also the Metroid Database has some celebrations of its own, thanks to the passionate fans.

Long live Metroid. :-)
    just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By just_nonplussed

Some people love you. Well, maybe not Nintendo because they haven't bothered to do anything.

Anyway, some musicians have created a free tribute album celebrating the series through the eras. It's fitting as music has always been a strong part of the Metroid experience. 

No Caption Provided

Game Informer has the story, and the link to the music. 
    Also the Metroid Database has some celebrations of its own, thanks to the passionate fans.

Long live Metroid. :-)
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Happy Fucking Birthday, Metroid!

My favourite game series with good reason.

Viva, indeed.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MrKlorox

I kinda wished Nintendo would have focused more on the Metroid aspect than the Zelda aspect for their 25th anniversaries this year. Then again, the Ocarina of Time game style is clearly what metroidvania is supposed to be like in 3D... so whatever.

STUVNING

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By STUVNING

Some great tracks on that album. 
    Played trough the entirety of Super Metroid for the first time last sunday. 
    The only 2D Metroid I hadn't beaten up until then

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By turboman

never have played a full metroid game...

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @MrKlorox said:

I kinda wished Nintendo would have focused more on the Metroid aspect than the Zelda aspect for their 25th anniversaries this year. Then again, the Ocarina of Time game style is clearly what metroidvania is supposed to be like in 3D... so whatever.

Huh? How? I can see parallels, but they're not analogous.
    just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By just_nonplussed
    @STUVNING said:
    Some great tracks on that album. Played trough the entirety of Super Metroid for the first time last sunday. The only 2D Metroid I hadn't beaten up until then

I love Super Metroid. I generally think it sums up everything that is great about the series because it perfects the formula. Though these days I don't regularly play it. I keep coming back to Zero Mission though; It's just so much faster!
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#8  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I don't think I have ever played a Metroid game the entire way through. I keep on meaning to get Super Metroid off the virtual console (based on the assumption that the original is unplayable, which doubtlessly it is), but my backlog is horrendously big enough as it is. Ah well, Happy Birthday Samus, may your characterization continue to be a point of contention among people with too much time on their hands.

WileyS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By WileyS

Metroid is one of my favorite series ever with the Prime Trilogy being some of my favorate games. I realy hope we havn't seen the last of Samus and she goes back to her non-verbal, minimalistic storytelling ways after Other M which I did not like very much.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By LiquidSwords

Justin Bailey

just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By just_nonplussed
    @Video_Game_King said:
    @MrKlorox said:

Structurally they are very different games. Even though Zelda has a similar emphasis on dungeon exploration, and it was the first great 3D action-adventure, Metroid has always been about a seamless and inter-connected map that is largely sub-terrainian (And I think because of this, it's more about coridoor design...More mechanical and robotic). Zelda is more about its characters, the puzzle design and the overworld. The pacing of a Metroid is also completely different to a Zelda.

Personally I love how flexible Metroid is as a series. It can turn its hand to both action and exploration very adeptly and seamlessly. It can also work in both 2D and 3D, from a variety of perspectives. Zelda has generally stayed the same over the years, maybe with the exception of Majora's Mask and Adventure of Link.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By JJOR64

Happy Birfday!

Sadly, I have never finished a Metroid game.

just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By just_nonplussed
    @ArbitraryWater said:

I don't think I have ever played a Metroid game the entire way through. I keep on meaning to get Super Metroid off the virtual console (based on the assumption that the original is unplayable, which doubtlessly it is), but my backlog is horrendously big enough as it is. Ah well, Happy Birthday Samus, may your characterization continue to be a point of contention among people with too much time on their hands.

Yeah, but I think players should be reminded that she is gaming's first lady; the first playable female character in a video game. That's more important to me. I guess Pauline from Donkey Kong is technically the first woman in games, but she's quite minor and unplayable.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrKlorox

@Video_Game_King said:

@MrKlorox said:

Both the Metroidvania style (Shadow Complex) and the 3D Zelda style (Darksiders) are built upon the idea of exploration, and gaining new abilities that act as keys to enter new areas that were previously unaccessible. That to me defines Metroidvania. However, Metroidvania doesn't really have as much of a focus on puzzles.

Metroid Prime even feels like Retro Studios said, "Let's make a game like the 3D Zeldas in first person using the Metroid universe."

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#15  Edited By MightyDuck

I feel like a bit of an outsider here.  I have never played a single Metroid game.

I had a NES when I was a kid, but never owned any of the games.  From there, I had a genesis and ps1 so I never got into the Metroid games.  Although, looking back, they look like a lot of fun.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @MrKlorox

But Metroidvania games aren't nearly as leading and linear as Zelda games.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrKlorox

@Video_Game_King: True, they aren't as leading. But they're still pretty linear. Upon gaining a new ability, there's almost always one path you couldn't access before that advances the story, and the rest lead to treasure.

just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By just_nonplussed
    @MrKlorox said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@MrKlorox said:

Both the Metroidvania style (Shadow Complex) and the 3D Zelda style (Darksiders) are built upon the idea of exploration, and gaining new abilities that act as keys to enter new areas that were previously unaccessible. That to me defines Metroidvania. However, Metroidvania doesn't really have as much of a focus on puzzles.

Metroid Prime even feels like Retro Studios said, "Let's make a game like the 3D Zeldas in first person using the Metroid universe."

Metroid Prime didn't really feel like Zelda to me. However, with Metroid Prime 2 and 3, Retro Studios actually did make structural changes to the Metroid design and made the world feel more like a Zelda. For instance, in MP2 they placed a lot of emphasis on keys and locks and special glowing orbs in a very RPG way. And in MP3 they straight up had the player travelling to temples on an overworld map. But otherwise, I think Metroid has its own special identity and flavour - both in 2D and 3D.
    Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Vexxan

Happy b-day, but I've basically only played the Gamecube games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.