Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Aug 06, 1986

Don the Power Suit of intergalactic bounty hunter Samus Aran as she recaptures the dangerous Metroid species from the evil Space Pirates. Released by Nintendo in 1986, this game introduced the "Metroidvania" style of open-world gameplay on consoles.

Still a ton of fun

astrophyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 20

This was on sale for $3.49 in the eShop, so I bought it. I played it start to finish over the last couple days on the Wii U, getting every upgrade, and I really enjoyed it. I hadn't played it this way since I was about 10 years old back in the 80's. There is so much here that paved the way for other games, with its upgrades, open world, and atmosphere. I still have a blast running through rooms blowing things away with the wave beam and screw attack, Samus seemed invincible even then when she's fully upgraded. There are some annoyances, like the frame rate with lots of sprites on the screen, and the boss fights are not my favorite, especially Mother Brain. Super Metroid is a far better game, but I would hope an 8-years-later remake on much better hardware would be.

Metroid still holds up for the most part.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Yeah it really does.

Metroid ends up being my vacation game (I've got the GBA version). I'm still terrible at it and the "save system" makes dieing a punishing experience, but the core mechanics hold up just as well today as the Metroidvanias that exist today.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

I gotta say, after Zero Mission I can't go back to the original.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#4  Edited By ArbitraryWater

OG Metroid's lack of map is a little too intimidating for me, but it also doesn't surprise me that it still sort of holds up.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

@csl316 said:

I gotta say, after Zero Mission I can't go back to the original.

Same here. Zero Mission is one of my favorite Metroids. I hold it in higher regard than Super Metroid, for all the craziness that paints me with. It just elevates the original game's concept in so many ways.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6 FinalDasa  Moderator

I've never played this game. I know, I'm a monster.

I've been meaning to go back and pick up some classic NES games to play through and this is one of them.

astrophyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I played for a couple hours without a map and was getting lost, as usual. Then I looked up a map online as I was trying to do a 100% run and didn't remember where everything was. Many of the rooms look the same, so I didn't feel bad about it. It's plenty challenging anyway.

OG Metroid's lack of map is a little too intimidating for me, but it also doesn't surprise me that it still sort of holds up.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I have no nostalgia for the NES Metroid but I love Zero Mission.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I never played the original, and going back after Super is a little hard. This might be on my list of things to do at some point, but I'm not sure I can get into it in the same way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.