Is 2D really a compulsory element of Metroidvania games?

#1 Posted by AuthenticM (3731 posts) -

The whole article of the Metroidvania concept keeps saying that those type of games are inherently 2D. Why? I never thought that. The concept has the player dropped in a big world in which he has to find items/powerups in order to advance further. Metroid Prime is definitely a Metroidvania game, so is Batman: Arkham Asylum. I'd even be inclined to add the early Resident Evil games. Who ever said Metroidvania games had to be 2D?

#2 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I think its more that it hasn't really been successfully done in 3d, and really what would be the difference between a 3d "metroidvania" game and just an open world game? Just because a game isn't completely linear doesn't mean it suddenly becomes a Metroidvania. Its a semantic debate basically. Open world is "an open space to explore and gather quests and items", and metroidvania is "an open world to explore and gather items". As far as I can tell the only difference is a Metroidvania is an open world where everything is hostile and an open world game has spots full of questgivers and safe zones and shit.

#3 Edited by AuthenticM (3731 posts) -

Well I wouldn't put The Elder Scrolls, Fallout or GTA as Metroidvania games. When I think of said concept, the first thing that pops into my head are locked doors that need to be open with something. Open world games, such as GTA, Fallout and Assassin's Creed, have you doing missions to advance the story. Taking into account a few exceptions, you can go pretty much everywhere from the start and explore. Whereas in Metroidvania games, the player is given only one goal or mission and he has to find items and equipment to progress towards said goal, as certain areas are locked out at first. That's how I see it at least, and is why I always thought of Prime, Batman and even early Resident Evil games as being Metroidvania.

#4 Edited by Icemael (6320 posts) -

The article is wrong and should be edited. What differentiates a metroidvania from other types of open-world games is not that it is 2D, but that its world is not actually "open" in the same sense as Fallout's wasteland or Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood's Rome -- rather, it consists a bunch of linear levels that are interconnected (and that, because of "locks" in shape of obstacles that can't be overcome without certain abilities, more or less need to be tackled in a special order).

#5 Posted by Wipeout (261 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" I think its more that it hasn't really been successfully done in 3d... "
Uhh, Metroid Prime.  And if you really think about it, Arkham Asylum was a metroidvania game.  It had an interconnected world map that you needed power-ups to fully explore.   
#6 Edited by agentboolen (1785 posts) -
@AuthenticM: I have always thought of the vertical gameplay of Metroidvania games.  In 3d these games just don't have the same vertical gameplay.  If it was going to be done in 3d correctly it would have to be more about platforms that go vertical and lead to other rooms that are also very vertical in layout.  Sure it isn't all about vertical gameplay but it sure was a huge part of those games.  

When these games (Metroid and Castlevania) do 3d there usually more about exploration an environment that seems to be more real world based.  When companies want to bring Metroidvania to 3d they just don't think enough of what Metroidvania is IMO.  The 3 Metroid games on the GC - Wii were good but they definitely didn't have the same feel as the old 2d games had IMO.
#7 Posted by august (3845 posts) -
@Wipeout said:
" @ryanwho said:
" I think its more that it hasn't really been successfully done in 3d... "
Uhh, Metroid Prime.  And if you really think about it, Arkham Asylum was a metroidvania game.  It had an interconnected world map that you needed power-ups to fully explore.    "
What this guy says.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.