Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mewgenics

Game » consists of 0 releases. Coming Q1 2025

Breed and biologically engineer cats, then send them out on epic quests to engage in turn-based tactical combat.

Mew-genics finally explained... sort of...

Mysterysheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Mysterysheep

So Edmund McMillen has finally come out about this new game him and Tommy Refenes of Team Meat have been working on for the past while since Super Meat Boy. It's apparently a "Cat Lady Sim" with elements of "The Sims and Pokemon with a sprinkling of Animal Crossing and a dash of Tamagotchi" as ridiculous as that sounds. Not sure what that means? Neither was I! Luckily, Mr. McMillen's included an example from one of his play sessions:

Last week I was playing a game with Puddle, a fat female cat I had been working on earlier that day, I thawed her out of her Cryo-cube and placed her in my current single story house along with her newly generated companion Champ. I had been focusing my time on Puddle due to the fact that she seemed to have a very unique tail that I believe had helped her place 2nd in a cat pageant in a previous and I needed to breed her so I could continue her bloodline before she got too old. Sadly Champ wasn’t up to snuff and Puddle made this obvious by repeatedly kicking him in the face, I separated them quickly by putting champ in the attic but when I tried to feed him.. something odd happened. See, Champ was a dullard and when Puddle kicked him he just happened to also be eating and now associated the trauma with food instead of Puddle herself, he was scared of all food.. and sadly died in the attic shortly after.

It wasn’t long after though that I caught sight of a solid black stray cat named Goon, before he had a chance to run I grabbed him and pulled him inside. Goon was a much better fit for Puddle and before I knew it the humping started and puddle was pregnant! I put her in the attic with plenty of food and a bed, but quickly noticed that something was up with Goon, he seemed to be constantly falling asleep. As it turned out Goon was a narcoleptic and as you might have guessed Puddle gave birth to 2 sleeping kittens, one of them fat like his mother and black like his dad and the other small but with his mom’s markings and that amazing forked tail that helped in the last pageant, but sadly both kittens were narcoleptic like their father…

Goon acted aggressively towards the kittens so I let him back out into the yard and he eventually ran away. As the kittens grew up I did enter the small one (his name was Dot) into a pageant but sadly he just fell asleep on the stage and didn’t win anything. To add insult to injury Puddle also acquired feline aids from Goon and I couldn’t afford any of the expensive treatments Dr. Beanies was offering so I put her back in the Cryo-cube in hopes that in the future I might have a cure for her disease once I finish a few more of the Doctor’s missions.

I wasn’t able to save Dot because I was arrested by the local animal control shortly after I put Puddle in the cube, probably because of letting Goon run away.. and the whole giving my other cat aids thing… or maybe it was the dead cat in the attic.

Pretty nuts, then. Also there are 25418658283290000000000000 different randomized forms of cats in the game at this current moment. What do you guys think? Does a "Cat Lady Sim" sound like fun or is the concept just worrying and uncomfortable? DISCUSS!

You can find his blog post with early screenshots here.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Sooo, this game is the best/most insane thing ever conceived pretty much? It started out like any other sims-like game, but as soon as he said that psychological concepts like associating trauma with food are in the game I realized something was wrong, in the very best way possible.

After that it just kept going down the rabbit-hole of so much crazy stuff that no game should ever really include but I'm so glad this does, that I really doubt the game can ever live up to the expectations this simple write-up has given me.

What I'm trying to say here is that I love games that simulate all types of crazy variables and psychological psychology and that this game is too perfect to actually exist...

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I'm really excited for this game. After Super Meat Boy, I'll play anything these crazy motherfuckers will put out. Plus, after seeing how cool they are in Indie Game: The Movie, I'm happy to support them.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

"The Sims and Pokemon with a sprinkling of Animal Crossing and a dash of Tamagotchi"

This is a game from TeamMeat, and is about cats. I was already sold. Now I'm sold foreverandeverandeverandever.

Mysterysheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mafolu: All the different concepts and mechanics are bonkers enough for me to buy it regardless of it's actual quality. That being said, this is Team Meat we're talking about. I really doubt that they could do much wrong after Super Meat boy.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Oh man this is insane.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By HerbieBug

Oh goody! I have been waiting for the reveal on their latest project. It sounds totally batshit! Love it! Team Meat can do no wrong in my eyes. :D!

:3

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Winternet
    Mysterysheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mysterysheep

@winternet: Bear in my mind Isaac wasn't technically a Team Meat affair. Seems like Edmund took everything he learned about randomisation from that game and has taken it to the illogical extreme.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already have Binding of Isaac you insane motherfucker! I just used SMB because it's one of my favorite games this generation. I really liked BoI but it didn't hold my attention the way SMB did.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Binding Of Isaac is sooooo much better than Super Meat Boy ;)

ISAAC TEAM GO!!!!

Mysterysheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mysterysheep

They're two very different games. Difficult to compare the two.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Rather have a Super Meat Boy 2, this sounds......doesn't sound like my type of game

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I need this. Now.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want dog man not cat lady

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are indeed two very different games. That said, I feel like Isaac is something much more enduring and enjoyable in the long run.

Mysterysheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New interview's been posted where Tommy Refenes spends some time talking about the gameplay:

Loading Video...

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I took a risk with Super Meat Boy. I had no idea if I would like it enough to justify spending $10 on it. I'm happy to say that when I buy Mew-genics day one, it won't feel like a risk. I trust these guys entirely and their game seems fantastic!

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Quid_Pro_Bono

Oh man the theme song says a lot about the tone of this game

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.