First Impressions

#1 Posted by notha (239 posts) -

holy cow, I wasn't expecting much from a f2p microsoft flight sim game but man have I been blown away so far. the graphics are very slick, and the aircraft interiors look fantastic. it's very user friendly, especially for a flight sim. native controller support with simultaneous keyboard and mouse support for advanced commands. and the multiplayer oh man. lots of stuff to do, lots of people to chat with and i kind of got blown away when someone warned in chat that they saw a storm was coming in, and a few minutes later everybody was complaining about all the rain and windy conditions. oh and also, you can land the plane and run around on foot. i am thoroughly impressed.

what do the rest of you think?

#2 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Sounds great! Is it hard to play with your broken Shift key?

#3 Edited by notha (239 posts) -

it's very easy to play without a shift key, as you mostly use the controller. nice way to up the grammar nazi ante though, i didnt know this was a college essay. could you not read what i said without capital letters?

#4 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

This game can get expensive fast, at $20 for an island and $15 for a plane, I think I would have rather payed $60 for this game.

#5 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian: Or you could get this one for $30. :) http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-X-Gold-Pc/dp/B001DPZE84

I still haven't decided if this is a good thing or a bad thing, or if I ever will, but Flight seems aimed at those people who would never ever consider buying something like FSX. I don't know if this will even split that community in two, since the offerings are so different. What I do know is that I can point friends who have no interest in flight sims at Flight, and I guess that's really the best thing that could be said about that game.

#6 Posted by Mikemcn (6982 posts) -

Dude.... 8 bucks for a P-51 Mustang that doesn't even have a cockpit view is really dumb.

#7 Posted by selbie (1885 posts) -

This is a great game...for free. I'm not sure about spending that much on just two aircraft and some extra islands.

#8 Posted by buft (3316 posts) -

@Mikemcn said:

Dude.... 8 bucks for a P-51 Mustang that doesn't even have a cockpit view is really dumb.

are you serious? i was actually considering spending cash on that but with no cockpit, no thanks

#9 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

@buft said:

@Mikemcn said:

are you serious? i was actually considering spending cash on that but with no cockpit, no thanks

how much would you pay

#10 Posted by Mikemcn (6982 posts) -

@doobie said:

@buft said:

@Mikemcn said:

how much would you pay

I think 8 bucks.

#11 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

I totally forgot about the game but I'll be sure to start the download tonight. I think it would be a fun relaxing thing to do. At least this time I won't have to buy a stick.

#12 Posted by Edin899 (627 posts) -

Where do i download this game? Link pls

#13 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

@Edin899 said:

Where do i download this game? Link pls

just type MS flight in to google. thats all i did

#14 Posted by chilibean_3 (1635 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

Sounds great! Is it hard to play with your broken Shift key?

Well done!

#15 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -

I like it. It's very relaxing just flying around. I'm considering buying the Hawaii DLC, though I won't pay for any planes.

#16 Posted by Butano (1731 posts) -

Played it last night for about 2 hours. Really enjoyed it. First flight sim game I've tried that didn't have the tutorial(or lack thereof) scare me away. Definitely considering getting all the islands. Have they announced any plans for helicopters?

#17 Posted by sirdesmond (1237 posts) -

@Butano said:

Played it last night for about 2 hours. Really enjoyed it. First flight sim game I've tried that didn't have the tutorial(or lack thereof) scare me away. Definitely considering getting all the islands. Have they announced any plans for helicopters?

I don't think they have, but you can see several on the ground at a few of the airports across the Big Island so I wouldn't be surprised if they added some.

#18 Edited by Ethan_Raiden (342 posts) -

I JUST FOUND OUT THIS GAME IS NOW AVAILABLE AND THREW AWAY MY COPY OF ME3, LETS GET SOME MF'ING FLYING DONE

I've now calmed down a bit. How in depth is this game, all switches usable, can I have a monstrous amount of key bindings for things, how is the realism aspects of it all?

#19 Posted by yoshisaur (2708 posts) -

Huh, didn't know it was F2P. The posts here have sold me and I'm downloading it right now :) Hopefully the Micro-transactions aren't insane and are limited to just planes and other things, but that I can get the core fun from the game itself.

"The player should get the core experience from the game and when they feel that they have thoroughly enjoyed the game enough, they should feel that it is time to pay a little to the developers for their hard work. Not the other way around."

-Totalbiscuit (Paraphrased)

#20 Posted by CzarTim (32 posts) -

I'm an old school flight sim fan, and this game is... interesting to say the least. The fact that you can't radio towers for permission to land/take-off, the lack luster plane selection (5 if you buy everything when X had 20+??? Not to mention most of the planes aren't very interesting), no AI planes, and the inability to make waypoints on your GPS (save for missions) is a big turn-off to me.

On the other hand, I'm glad they are making the game more user friendly and approachable. A FTP model seems like it will suit this type of niche product well. Kind of like Rise of Flight. I just wish there was more depth for those who want it.

#21 Edited by subyman (606 posts) -

I want to like it, but it is far too limited right now. The two planes you start with are kind of lame and I don't want to spend 15 dollars a one plane. I also don't want to get stuck in the trap of paying 20 dollars for each new location. I wish they would have made a proper addition to the FS series and sold it for 60. Once you get 4-5 locations and some decent planes you are looking at 100+ dollars. No thanks.

I'll wait a year or so for a bundle to come out.

#22 Edited by NickL (2246 posts) -

I think this game has started me down a deep dark flight simmy path.

I bought the island pack, am now considering getting this, and am looking into what other flight sims I can try.

Next comes the track IR....

#23 Posted by selbie (1885 posts) -

@NickL said:

I think this game has started me down a deep dark flight simmy path.

I bought the island pack, am now considering getting this, and am looking into what other flight sims I can try.

Next comes the track IR....

Buying hotas sticks and track IR is officially cool now that Vinny, Drew and Dave have taken the plunge :P

#24 Posted by eccentrix (1547 posts) -

I like this game because it has Games For Windows Live support. Because I'm the only one in the world who likes GFWL.

#25 Posted by CzarTim (32 posts) -

@eccentrix: At least that part is free :P

#26 Posted by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (432 posts) -

@eccentrix said:

I like this game because it has Games For Windows Live support. Because I'm the only one in the world who likes GFWL.

O_O

Well, whatever floats your plane/boat. :P

Microsoft Flight definitely sounds interesting... I might make time to download it at some point. :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.