F*** you Microsoft

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Ramone (2972 posts) -

Well I have just experienced my third red ring of death on my Xbox and so I called M$ customer support. This is how the conversation went:

(Giving personal details blah blah blah...)
Me: So I just got 3 red rings on my Xbox.
Indian guy: O.K I can help you with this, what colour is the power supply when you turn it on?
Me: Green
Indian Guy: O.K well since you bought the Xbox in 2006 your warranty has ran out, this means you will have to pay for the repair.
Me: Well the thing is I actually got a refurbished Xbox in 2008 after my first one broke so surely I should recieve a longer warranty.
Indian Guy: I'm sorry but it is only from the date pf purchase, that means you will have to pa...
(Me hanging up)

I have to say that M$ is a total load of bull. I mean they completley shit on the people that buy their products. The people that bought the Xbox in 2005-2006 when it first came out get the worst deal in history. An overpriced shoddily built pile of crap with a hard drive the size of a 10 year old laptop, it's ridiculous. The people that made it possible for the Xbox to become one of the best selling consoles get nothing. Anyway off to buy an Xbox slim

#2 Edited by Mrskidders (1330 posts) -

Cool story bro..

Edit : Actually, forget that.  Your post is needlessly racist.  Flagged.

#3 Posted by Newjack (232 posts) -

Is it? He just said the guy was from India. 

#4 Edited by mylifeforAiur (3485 posts) -

Wait, what's the problem exactly. It's common knowledge that previous versions of the XBOX360 console are likely to red ring. Or at least half of them.  

#5 Posted by Ramone (2972 posts) -

Racist how? The guy was Indian therefore Indian Guy. If he was English he would be called English Guy or if he was Irish he would be Irish guy.

#6 Posted by Mrskidders (1330 posts) -
@Newjack: Why didn't he just write Microsoft guy then.  Why does race have to be brought into it.
#7 Posted by PenguinDust (12533 posts) -

I have to say that M$ is a total load of bull. I mean they completely shit on the people that buy their products... Anyway off to buy an Xbox slim 

Yeah, they are laughing all the way to the bank.  I suggest you buy a PS3 or upgrade your PC if you're angered so much by Microsoft's business practices.
#8 Posted by Mrskidders (1330 posts) -
@Jonny7892: I don't believe you.
#9 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

1) If you care about your xbox you will get it repaired. If an item breaks outside of warranty the manufacturer has no responsibility to repair it. 

2) Your post wasn't racist.

#10 Posted by xyzygy (10008 posts) -

It looks like you're going to go get the Slim, so problem solved.

#11 Posted by Drebin_893 (2918 posts) -

Wow, shows how pathetic people are if they called your post racist. 
And that sucks, but in fairness the warranty is clearly stated. 

#12 Posted by Newjack (232 posts) -
@zudthespud said:

2) Your post wasn't racist. "

No it really wasn't, just needless shit stirring over something that clearly wasn't malicious.    
#13 Posted by ectoplasma (980 posts) -
@Mrskidders: LOL. From this logic no adjectives at all are necessary. So don't dare use them.  
How is it logical u say Microsoft is an asshole and then buy a new console. Maybe u should choose (a) being angry and not buying or (b) buying and not being so angry.
#14 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

1. refurbed systems get either 90 day, or whatever the balance is of your warranty from the original product, if its serviced outside of warranty period you get a year.
2.refurbed systems that fail to the RROD still get the 3 year warranty from the time it was refurbed. call back at a later time when you can get a hold of US call center and explain this to them.

repair cost setup via phone is 119.99, via the website its 99.99 if you hassle an american tech about refurb breaking down and certain gurantee's and rrod being their fault then you can likely get it discounted to 50 dollars, BUT as I said call later get ahold of an american call center, or ask for one if you don't, explain its a refurb your still under 3 years for the refurb.
P.S: if the system is red lighting, yet your power supply is not then its likely not RROD or e74.

#15 Posted by AlisterCat (5593 posts) -

I've had 4 Xbox360's and never had to pay. I just make a massive fuss and keep asking to speak to someone else until they get tired. Haven't had to do it for 1 year so it might not work any more but that's usually my tactic.

#16 Posted by Sin4profit (2938 posts) -
@Mrskidders:  ...if you've ever called Microsoft's support you'd understand.
#17 Posted by Dipstick (546 posts) -

You bought a refurbished 360,you really expected an extended warranty?

#18 Posted by Jaytow (695 posts) -
@Mrskidders: 

Last time I checked "indian" was not a race dumbarse.

He is pointing out that it is annoying to have someone who doesn't have english as their first language on the other end of the phone at a call center.

I HATE LIBERALS!
#19 Posted by Dipstick (546 posts) -
@Jaytow said:
" @Mrskidders:   Last time I checked "indian" was not a race dumbarse.  He is pointing out that it is annoying to have someone who doesn't have english as their first language on the other end of the phone at a call center.  I HATE LIBERALS! "
Really? That's not what the OP was saying.
#20 Posted by ScottishGamer (215 posts) -

This is the reason why I am getting the new Xbox 360 Slim. It will be covered by a warranty unlike my current console (which has broken down nearly every year!) and furthermore I simply can't be hassled to talk to the customer support people, who often have no idea what you are talking about. To be honest the worst thing about your 360 breaking is having to talk to Microsoft's customer service people, not the 1 to 2 weeks you have to spend without your 360.   

Oh, and your post was not racist at all. I totally understand your anger towards the customer service people, whom are mostly Indian in my experience. It is so annoying both ways, for you to understand them and for them to understand you. Once when I rang up I am almost sure the person I was speaking to had no idea what an Xbox 360 was. I think that Microsoft really have to do something to improve the quality of their customer support service, because in my, and it seems most other peoples experience, it is very poor. 

Hope your situation is resolved soon!  :)

#21 Posted by Mrskidders (1330 posts) -

Just get back on topic, all this is very irrelevant and i'm not important.

#22 Posted by pweidman (2340 posts) -
@Jaytow said:
" @Mrskidders:   Last time I checked "indian" was not a race dumbarse.  He is pointing out that it is annoying to have someone who doesn't have english as their first language on the other end of the phone at a call center.  I HATE LIBERALS! "

Oh god the irony of this post.......lollylol;)
#23 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1057 posts) -
@Jonny7892 said:
"  I mean they completley shit on the people that buy their products..... Anyway off to buy an Xbox slim "

huh?

i get if you have all your games for the 360 it may be cheaper, but why not do as PenguinDust said and look into other options?
#24 Edited by Jaytow (695 posts) -
@Dipstick:   That clearly seemed to be the implication.

Do you want to elaborate on that comment Pweidman?
#25 Posted by Dipstick (546 posts) -
@Jaytow said:

" @Dipstick:   That clearly seemed to be the implication.    Do you want to elaborate on that comment Pweidman? "

"I have to say that M$ is a total load of bull. I mean they completley shit on the people that buy their products. The people that bought the Xbox in 2005-2006 when it first came out get the worst deal in history. An overpriced shoddily built pile of crap with a hard drive the size of a 10 year old laptop, it's ridiculous. The people that made it possible for the Xbox to become one of the best selling consoles get nothing. Anyway off to buy an Xbox slim"  

Where does it state that he was complaining about customer service?   
#26 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5145 posts) -
@Jonny7892:  Im pretty sure after a system is repaired it gets another year for the warranty so in any case you'd still have to pay.
#27 Posted by TheKing (835 posts) -

Buy a PC with windows on it! That will show them!

#28 Posted by SolemnOaf (535 posts) -

Well, at least you're able to display your dissaproval by immediately rushing out to buy another one of their consoles. 

Way to stick it to the man.
#29 Posted by Muttinus_Rump (814 posts) -
@SolemnOaf said:
" Well, at least you're able to display your dissaproval by immediately rushing out to buy another one of their consoles.  Way to stick it to the man. "
#30 Posted by Lawrens (688 posts) -

Sounds like battered wife syndrome

#31 Posted by confideration (414 posts) -

3 flashing red lights does not a ring make 

also I'm pretty sure that is a call center in the Philippines...  

finally... points deducted for using "$" in MS 

this is a terrible post 

#32 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4798 posts) -

I was pretty lucky when my Xbox red-ringed. Just took it back to the store and got it swapped, along with a new warranty.

#33 Posted by Teaspoon83 (624 posts) -

So you can't get it repaired or replaced at no cost to you. I can understand being upset but doing some math, you would have been out of a warranty from your original system purchase date and your replacement would have had only a year warranty, so you still would have been out of one.  

If you seriously upset at Microsoft, why are you running out and purchasing another system? 

#34 Edited by MAN_FLANNEL (2462 posts) -
@Mrskidders said:

" @Newjack: Why didn't he just write Microsoft guy then.  Why does race have to be brought into it. "

Give me a fucking break.  He said Indian guy because he was probably from India and sounded like "thank you come again" Apu.  GOOF!  

As for the OP, tough shit.  The warranty is from the original date of purchase.  If you buy a used car you get the continuation of the old warranty, not a brand new one.  What were you thinking?
#35 Posted by Damien (1384 posts) -

Nice use of M$.  I wouldn't have known who you were talking about without it.

#36 Posted by cspiffo (869 posts) -

I feel for you dude, but the warranty is what it is.  You could try suing.  You'ld probably win too, but you would also probably spend more in time/money fighting it than accepting life as it is and moving on.  I'm with you on this point.  F* Microsoft and there shitty hardware.  If I were in your shoes though I would miss my XBL experience and by a S model.  It's still shitty that it's come to this though.

#37 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

I suggest you calm down a little before making threads.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.