Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Game Studios

Company »

Also known as "Microsoft Games", "Microsoft Game Studios", and "Microsoft Studios", Xbox Game Studios is a primary subsidiary of the Microsoft Gaming division and handles publishing of their studios' games (including the Halo, Forza, and Gears of War series).

Microsoft is Destroying Xbox as a Platform

• 53 results
    Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Wolverine

When Xbox 360 was about to be released I couldn't be more excited. J Allard could literrally sell me on anything and I played a lot of original Xbox considering I got it at launch and never had a PS2. 360 turned out to be a great platform with a variety of games. Even though Allard left the platform still continued to grow, but then it took a turn.

Microsoft noticed how interested casual gamers were in Wii and they wanted to go after that market. They destroyed the once beautiful dashboard with the NXE that feels awkward to navigate and has tons of ads. They replaced gamer cards with these rediculous avatars that they can easily sell items for. They've forced all of their stupid fucking services into the experience like Bing and Zune. If I want to search something on the Dashboard when the new update comes out with my Kinect I actually have to say "Bing" before I say the word I'm searching for, why can't I just say search Microsoft?

I was watching their E3 press conference live and literally fell asleep. I woke up right before they announced Halo 4 and I wasn't even excited. MS sells Halo the same way they sell Office, with small iterations every three years. The Kinect stuff was pretty ridiculous, those demos was absolutely dreadful to watch.

Never trust Microsoft with a product you like, Steve Jobs was right, "they have no taste". Take at a look at what they did to the Rare site.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Wolverine

When Xbox 360 was about to be released I couldn't be more excited. J Allard could literrally sell me on anything and I played a lot of original Xbox considering I got it at launch and never had a PS2. 360 turned out to be a great platform with a variety of games. Even though Allard left the platform still continued to grow, but then it took a turn.

Microsoft noticed how interested casual gamers were in Wii and they wanted to go after that market. They destroyed the once beautiful dashboard with the NXE that feels awkward to navigate and has tons of ads. They replaced gamer cards with these rediculous avatars that they can easily sell items for. They've forced all of their stupid fucking services into the experience like Bing and Zune. If I want to search something on the Dashboard when the new update comes out with my Kinect I actually have to say "Bing" before I say the word I'm searching for, why can't I just say search Microsoft?

I was watching their E3 press conference live and literally fell asleep. I woke up right before they announced Halo 4 and I wasn't even excited. MS sells Halo the same way they sell Office, with small iterations every three years. The Kinect stuff was pretty ridiculous, those demos was absolutely dreadful to watch.

Never trust Microsoft with a product you like, Steve Jobs was right, "they have no taste". Take at a look at what they did to the Rare site.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Heh, yep. The soulless and opportunistic looking Avatars from that Rare site really envelops MS's business model to a T.

Have an awesome utoob spam to get the real nitty gritty:

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By vidiot

Regardless of the volatile conclusion of "Microsoft destroying Xbox as a platform", (although a lot of your points have been things that have been bothering me lately) I think it's pretty safe to say that Rare's website looks pretty freaking horrible.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Get a PC, come on, join the side that can actually use mods, we have cookies.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By mnzy
    @TheDudeOfGaming said:
    Modded cookies?
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @mnzy said:
    @TheDudeOfGaming said:
    Modded cookies?
    Yeah man, they're known as adult brownies, when you're old enough you'll have a blast with them, or you can just get a plane ticket for Amsterdam right now.
    MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By MEATBALL

I love crazy internet people.

faunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By faunt
    @Wolverine said:

They destroyed the once beautiful dashboard with the NXE that feels awkward to navigate and has tons of adds.

Wut. I know nxe could be better but calling the old dash "beautiful" is kinda weird.

Avatar image for harbinger_of_hippos
    Harbinger_Of_Hippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Shall I begin Operation: Purple Nuts? For those who don't know, Operation: Purple Nuts is a where we pay as many midgets as we can find to go to Bill Gates' house and headbutt him as hard as possible... in the junk.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lunar_Aura

@faunt: Blades were always superior to the disgusting NXE. There were a few people who knew what kind of ad-laden abomination NXE was going to be even before launch.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Bollard
    @faunt said:
    @Wolverine said:

They destroyed the once beautiful dashboard with the NXE that feels awkward to navigate and has tons of adds.

Wut. I know nxe could be better but calling the old dash "beautiful" is kinda weird.

I think I just chundered. New dash is a lot crisper - (and less orange) - but the adverts are a fucking joke. It's a Premium service, you Microsoft bastards.
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12  Edited By buft

Interestingly for the first time in 4 years i have let my xbox gold expire, not because i dont like the service but because the Value added services they offer me with gold arent a good value proposition. I rarely play multiplayer as of late and i never use any of the new dashboard stuff like twitter. i use sky player but recently i have just watched it on the laptop

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Kyle

@faunt said:

@Wolverine said:

No Caption Provided

Yeah, seriously. I liked the blades too, but they had a ton of problems that NXE fixed. I think you really have rose-colored glasses about a lot of this stuff. Seems like you're sitting their gnashing your teeth about a bunch of things that don't actually lower the quality of experience on xbox at all. I agree with you about the E3 conferences, but ultimately wasting 90 minutes of my time once a year doesn't mean they're "ruining xbox." Have a little perspective.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mcfart
    @Wolverine said:
    They destroyed the once beautiful dashboard
    Stopped reading there.
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By JoeyRavn

I've been really interested in getting one of those "The End is Nigh" signs. Does anyone know where they're giving them away for free*?

*Only explanation I can get to for all the negativity in the gaming community lately.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Wolverine

@faunt said:

@Wolverine said:

No Caption Provided

@Mcfart said:

@Wolverine said:
    Stopped reading there.

Okay, maybe beautiful was an over statement, but the old dashboard was very organized. The blades just made so much more sense.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sooty

I do hate the avatars so much and the fact you automatically get put on the advertisement pane as soon as your 360 boots up. Ridiculous.

Avatars, day/week one DLC and pre-order bonuses (well, in-game pre-order bonuses) are what I hate the most of this generation.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By willin

Fuck Microsoft! How dare they make money!

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By niamahai

@Lights_Up_The_Shaft said:

Fuck Microsoft! How dare they make money!

FIGHT DA POWAH! UH!

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Personally, I think people who like Apple products have no taste and are generally hipsters who just want to latch onto the latest gizmo every 6 months.

I don't agree with Microsoft's decision to push towards the casual market, but that's where the money is. As long as they don't completely stop making 'core' games, I don't care what else they do. The new dashboard is a huge improvement, the ads aren't particularly intrusive and it's not like they didn't exist with the blades. It's just generally much easier to navigate, I'm really looking forward to the new one coming this year as well, which seems to be improving things further and brings it much more in line with the Windows 8 UI (plus it gets rid of that darned "what's new" page). The avatars are an obvious extension of the gamer pics we started with too, my only complaint with those is that we still don't really have a use for them.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By tebbit

@WinterSnowblind: Before I got an iPhone I would have agreed with you, but man... Apple just puts so much thought into their user interfaces. They are a super-smart company, despite the crowd that popularises them.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BraveToaster

I think it's awesome that Microsoft wants the Xbox to be more than just a game console. It's actually a smart move to add all the other services (Bing, Zune etc.). The whole point of a business is to expand and make more money.

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TorMasturba

@WinterSnowblind said:

Personally, I think people who like Apple products have no taste and are generally hipsters who just want to latch onto the latest gizmo every 6 months.

I don't agree with Microsoft's decision to push towards the casual market, but that's where the money is. As long as they don't completely stop making 'core' games, I don't care what else they do. The new dashboard is a huge improvement, the ads aren't particularly intrusive and it's not like they didn't exist with the blades. It's just generally much easier to navigate, I'm really looking forward to the new one coming this year as well, which seems to be improving things further and brings it much more in line with the Windows 8 UI (plus it gets rid of that darned "what's new" page). The avatars are an obvious extension of the gamer pics we started with too, my only complaint with those is that we still don't really have a use for them.

All good points. A question that I always wondered about was; With all these Avatar items that the Avatar interacts with, like for example the Halo remote control warthog, why can't anybody else see your remote control warthog?

Which then leads to the question, why should we pay for something that was designed to show everyone our gaming interests if when we've bought it they can't physically see it.

This is why I only ever dressed my character in the items I won from actual games. Otherwise the cost, even if it isn't anyway, simply wasn't worth the outcome.

Monte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Monte
    @JoeyRavn said:

I've been really interested in getting one of those "The End is Nigh" signs. Does anyone know where they're giving them away for free*?

*Only explanation I can get to for all the negativity in the gaming community lately.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Ramone

Oh, I'm sorry, I think I took a turn into crazy town.

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By 02sfraser

I'm going to stay away from the point of destroying it as a platform but they certainly seemed to have shifted their focus. And in terms of Rare you need to remember that it's essentially a new company so they have also shifted their focus. After the shift from Nintendo many of the original staff left which let Microsoft essentially rebuild it in their own image.

faunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By faunt
    @Wolverine said: 

Okay, maybe beautiful was an over statement, but the old dashboard was very organized. The blades just made so much more sense.

If you press the guide button, something very similiar to blades shows up. I'm satisfied with that.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I miss the Blades so much... 

I'm also still pissed that they didn't drop the price of 360s at E3 like it was rumored they were going to. Mine broke a couple months ago (my second to break actually), but it was out of warranty, and I need a new one. Argh. 

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By OldGuy

Huh. They have ads on the dashboard? Weird. I must keep missing them when I hit up once and then A to start my games (or wack the guide button to dig into HARDCORE menus. Hurrr. Hurrr.)...

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By haggis
    @WinterSnowblind said:

I pretty much agree with all of this. I can't stand Apple's design aesthetic, which puts marketing above functionality. I don't much like Microsoft's going after the casual market either, but I don't see it having much effect on core gaming, so, whatever. The blade dashboard was a mess. On top of being slow and clunky, the service outgrew the blade configuration. It was getting clogged with new features. I'm not as negative toward the avatars, though I was a little irritated that Microsoft tried to obviously to ape Nintendo in that respect. Basically, I ignore them. The ads don't particularly bother me since the navigation is so fast on NXE that I hardly even notice them.

Just the other week I played on a friend's xbox that he's never updated, and the blades ... man, it was horrible. No rose-colored glasses here.

And what is it with all the doom and gloom with gamers these days? We have better games, more often, with almost too many releases to keep up with. A new generation of consoles is just around the corner, but games continue to look better on our consoles five years from release. I can't even keep up with the AAA titles coming out, let alone the second-tier games that look decent and XBLA games coming out. We're having a golden age of indie game development. I really just don't get it. It's a great time to be a gamer, and there's no reason to think that things aren't going to keep getting better.
    OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By OldGuy
    @haggis said:

And what is it with all the doom and gloom with gamers these days? We have better games, more often, with almost too many releases to keep up with. A new generation of consoles is just around the corner, but games continue to look better on our consoles five years from release. I can't even keep up with the AAA titles coming out, let alone the second-tier games that look decent and XBLA games coming out. We're having a golden age of indie game development. I really just don't get it. It's a great time to be a gamer, and there's no reason to think that things aren't going to keep getting better.

Hey, hey, hey! You can't let THOSE people in here. They're... unclean... They'll ruin the party for everyone! This is our (club, band, tv show... or what have you) and we need to keep it a walled garden so we're the only cool ones!

Sheesh.

Don't you know that it's NEVER good now, it was only good back in the past?
    Avatar image for deathmachine117
    Deathmachine117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Deathmachine117

As long as they still have video games that I can play on my xbox I couldnt really care what they do to the dashboard.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By ajamafalous

I think Blades is infinitely better than any iteration of NXE.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JoeyRavn

@monte: Awesome episode. I love it when they change the status quo. And so true for some people...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree.

blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By blueaniman93

Anytime someone says Steve Jobs was right, I know they're wrong. Xbox is not what the fans want it to be, it is what Microsoft wants it to be. Microsoft can't be destroying the Xbox. They're expanding the audience and expanding the feautures.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By ProfessorEss

Maybe you're just too much of a hard-core, old-school, real gamer?

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RichardLOlson

I don't really have a problem with a majority of what Microsoft is doing with the Xbox.  Other then the Kinect and some of the features on the dashboard.  I think they have a lot potential to do something really great with it all, but now since they gonna show the new Xbox at E3 2012, I'm hoping they'll start with something fresh and step away from the body controller bullshit.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Seamus is right, but I'm part of the problem. I really like Halo. However, they don't have to make a new one every three years, they could just sell those that want to continue playing DLC.

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By halberdierv2

honestly, everyone has known for a long time that Microsoft is greedy, and would kill the soul of its system if it meant some more bucks.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RE_Player1

@WinterSnowblind Now see I hate that blanket statement about Apple. Fan boys for any company are terrible but I happen to enjoy the occasional Apple products I purchase. I bought a shuffle for listening to music while running and I love it, bought my iMac 4 years ago and it's still kicking, won my iPad last year and I have increased my web browsing especially on Whiskey Media sites ten fold. I understand you might not like the people who camp out or jerk off to every word Steve Jobs says but Apple does put out some good products.

I think MS has done amazing things this generation and some terrible things. The dashboard and avatar stuff looks and feels very cool, much more personal than PSN with exception to the ads. Now the bombardment of Kinect features like in the next Ghost Recon or the milking of the Halo franchise, I can see them releasing multiple Halo games every year now that Bungie is out, has me worried. And Rare... It just makes me depressed see a great developer, or at least once great because there has been so much change in staff there, be reduced to motion sports franchises. At least do something good with the Perfect Dark IP.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#42  Edited By zidd

@Wolverine said:

They destroyed the once beautiful dashboard with the NXE that feels awkward to navigate and has tons of adds. They replaced gamer cards with these rediculous avatars that they can easily sell items for. They've forced all of there stupid fucking services into the experience like Bing and Zune.

You are remembering the Blades UX too fondly. It was a nightmare to navigate the marketplace on it and it too also had ads even in the xbox guide. Gamercards never went away either. While Zune and Bing are on the 360 its not like you have to use it.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @Mcfart said:
    @Wolverine said:
    Stopped reading there.
    Same here.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By Skald

They still sell vidja games.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By OldGuy
    @RichardLOlson said:
    I don't really have a problem with a majority of what Microsoft is doing with the Xbox.  Other then the Kinect and some of the features on the dashboard.  I think they have a lot potential to do something really great with it all, but now since they gonna show the new Xbox at E3 2012, I'm hoping they'll start with something fresh and step away from the body controller bullshit.
    Not gonna happen. You are just going to have to deal with it or move over to PC gaming. I have Kinect, I like it (for the few <very few> things that have worked well)... but when it's not plugged in do you know what difference it makes in my navigation of the New, New XBE? None. (well, there's that one extra box on one of the channels, but I never get that far right so I don't ever encounter it)...

I still don't understand the problems people have with the dash... the ONLY time I work right on any of the channels is if I haven't checked Nelsons' blog for the deal of the week otherwise I don't see any of the stuff people complain about. (maybe I'm the weird one?)
    coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By coakroach

It still fucking plays video games doesn't it?

bulletstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By bulletstorm

I've never liked Xbox's UI options. Although I did really like NXE when it first killed the blades, I do kinda miss it a little bit. Remember when you'd press the big'ol'Xbox button, and that blade would come over? And you could launch music from there?

But, I mean. Honestly.

Microsoft is NOT KILLING THE XBOX... as a gaming platform. Maybe as a platform for other things, but I don't give a fuck about how accessible buying or streaming music, movies and shit like that is.

Xbox is still my preferred Netflix box. Xbox is still a great gaming platform. So there.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Hunkulese

I put in discs in and then play games. Seems exactly the same to me.

Helushune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Helushune

@Wolverine said:

Microsoft noticed how interested casual gamers were in Wii and they wanted to go after that market. They destroyed the once beautiful dashboard with the NXE that feels awkward to navigate and has tons of adds. They replaced gamer cards with these rediculous avatars that they can easily sell items for. They've forced all of there stupid fucking services into the experience like Bing and Zune. If I want to search something on the Dashboard when the new update comes out with my Kinect I actually have to say "Bing" before I say the word I'm searching for, why can't I just say search Microsoft?

I was watching there E3 press conference live and literally fell asleep. I woke up right before they announced Halo 4 and I wasn't even excited. MS sells Halo the same way they sell Office, with small iterations every three years. The Kinect stuff was pretty ridiculous, those demos was absolutely dreadful to watch.

I agree with you on the casual thing but that seemed to stem more when they decided to push hard with Kinect. Minecraft for the 360? Meh; I could care less. Child of Eden is the only Kinect game I even care about since I'm a huge Rez fan and you can play it without Kinect. I'd say they're more like an ADD child that gives all its attention to something for a while then drops it in interest for something else. Right now, their focus seems to be WP7 and they've put the 360 on the back burner.

The initial iteration of the NXE was pretty good, much better than those horrid blades. But it's become clunky and obnoxious to use.

We release more than one Halo game every three years. I would know since I've been working on the MS side of the franchise for over 5 years now. The current rate is about one every year and half.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.