Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Sep 30, 2014

An open-world action-adventure game by Monolith, set between the events of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

Reviews are coming today

• 176 results
    Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hold on to your butts cos reviews are coming today, will it be a masterpiece or a piece of shit? There can be no in between in the world of video games.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/09/25/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-review

(I'm assuming this is the time everyone can put up their reviews and not just IGN)

I do genuinely hope this is really good, its certainly got potential - the Nemesis system looks especially awesome. Plus Monolith have made some decent games before so I have hope.

How's everyone else's excitement for this game?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I bet it'll get around a 7 from every publication unless there's some real jankyness we haven't seen yet. Looks really good and well polished but lacking in soul or anything to truly distinguish itself from the games it draws upon.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I think the nemesis system is a hoax and is going to be severely disappointing. (hope I'm wrong)

I don't have high expectations. Polygon will have the highest score.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right now it's up in the air, I hope that it's one of those game that only had middling attention during development then comes out of nowhere and blows everyone away.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I guessing mostly 6s and 7s, with one or two 4s and three 8s.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im guessing that the exact aggregate score for this game will be 7.89345 + .00000002^3

EXACTLY

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spraynardtatum: Yea I'm not expecting it to be as amazing/revolutionary as they are making it out to be, but hopefully it will be a cool hook.

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet this game would do better if it was priced at $40, both commercially and critically.

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Oh man, you missed an opportunity to say "masterpiece of shit".

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's Monolith so I'm going for high 7s and low 8s and then I'll fall in love with it regardless.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@unclebenny: Holy shit, that would of been incredible, can't believe I missed that gem!

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think its going to be the next "Arkham Asylum" in the sense of how surprised people were with the immense quality of that game, but i think it will be a decent game.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azrailx said:

im guessing that the exact aggregate score for this game will be 7.89345 + .00000002^3

EXACTLY

what about the parabole influx factored by [fun]^2? that would at least bump the exhaust field to +5.7%.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

All I've seen of the game thus far has been that nemesis system so I'm curious to see what more it has to offer.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

@azrailx said:

EXACTLY

what about the parabole influx factored by [fun]^2? that would at least bump the exhaust field to +5.7%.

You forgot to take the gradient of the Gameplay tensor then transpose it before cross multiplying.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By azrailx

@theht: those are very good points, though I understood none of them.

This must be because i never want to journalism school.

@rollingzeppelin: Shit more factors i did not know to include into my calculations!

ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could go for a good hack'n slash. I really liked the Lord of the Rings books and I thought the movies were good. Unless the reviews are horrible, I'll probably pick this one up.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Sounds like Brad has been playing it when he hasn't been abusively grinding through Destiny. 3 stars? Any takers on 3 stars?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Yeah, this seems like a 3/5 to me from what I've seen so far. Can't wait for this to drop down to $5 on Steam.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Rowr

I expect another real split opinion on this one (It obviously can't be any other way this gen). Surely 50 percent of people will decry the nemesis system as being repetitive whilst the other half don't give a fuck.

In a sad twist, the 50 percent complaining about the repetition will stick to playing destiny.

Edit - I hope this game is rewarded for trying to do something different in regards to the nemesis system.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rowr said:

Edit - I hope this game is rewarded for trying to do something different in regards to the nemesis system.

It doesn't seem that different though. It's the same as the million other bullshit "your choices drastically effect the world" claims we've been given since the beginning of the last generation just given a new name.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rowr said:

It doesn't seem that different though. It's the same as the million other bullshit "your choices drastically effect the world" claims we've been given since the beginning of the last generation just given a new name.

Jaded much?

I don't think they ever sold it as anything it's not. No one in the triple A industry tackles ANYTHING regarding AI in this age and they have built a full system here and then built the game around it.

If this game can does well maybe other developers can quit playing it as safe and innovate in regards to AI, something that has been completely stagnant for the last 10 years..

Maybe not every game can deliver the mind bending peter molyneux fever dream we all want, but at least they are trying to do SOMETHING.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rowr said:

@corruptedevil said:
    @rowr said:

Jaded much?

I don't think they ever sold it as anything it's not. No one in the triple A industry tackles ANYTHING regarding AI in this age and they have built a full system here and then built the game around it.

If this game can does well maybe other developers can quit playing it as safe and innovate in regards to AI, something that has been completely stagnant for the last 10 years..

Maybe not every game can deliver the mind bending peter molyneux fever dream we all want, but at least they are trying to do SOMETHING.

HOW THE FUDGE DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS/ISN'T?

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

So if its mediocre 6-7, will it get the continuous day to day coverage Destiny continues to receive?Seriously, has ever such a mundane, in all honesty FTP horde mode shooter, received so much praise? If Destiny is the new measuring stick for coverage of games where are the daily Elder Scrolls online triumphs, and dont forget about Firefalls patch just to name a few.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rowr said:

@corruptedevil said:
    @rowr said:

Jaded much?

?

Sorry i don't speak vague caps lock?

If you mean the nemesis system, well they have shown it off for hours at this point over E3 and recently at gamespot. Also there have been multiple writeups on it since they started the game.

The basic ideas of it aren't exactly a secret, in fact it's all they have showed off of the game forever.

SirFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man some of you are pretty bitter, its Monolith so i'm expecting something at least decent. The game hasn't been hyped up to stupidly overly exaggerated levels so that's good. Nemesis system sounds like they are trying something different and the combat looks fun, and at the end of the day fun is the only thing that matters really. The story can be shit and the nemesis system might not be as great as they say, but as long as hacking up dudes is fun then i'm good. Seem's like too many people are expecting revolutions with every game that comes out nowadays, just enjoy them for what they are. I mean fuck me I had a good time with resident evil 6 solo so maybe I just like shitty games.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rowr said:

@spraynardtatum said:

@rowr said:

@corruptedevil said:
    @rowr said:

Jaded much?

?

Sorry i don't speak vague caps lock?

If you mean the nemesis system, well they have shown it off for hours at this point over E3 and recently at gamespot. Also there have been multiple writeups on it since they started the game.

The basic ideas of it aren't exactly a secret, in fact it's all they have showed off of the game forever.

The game has not shipped. Any and all coverage should be taken with a grain of salt. At this point, the Nemesis System has proven that its interesting but not at all that it works or actually makes the game better.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By spraynardtatum

@rowr: Alright. There's some cool shit they're doing. It just needs to work and be good. If they built the whole game around the AI system and it sucks then that isn't as commendable.

I see where you're coming from but we don't know if it works. Try it out for yourself though. I hope you like it and I hope people like it in general.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Sounds like Brad has been playing it when he hasn't been abusively grinding through Destiny. 3 stars? Any takers on 3 stars?

I'll call your 3 stars and raise you to 4 stars!

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Existence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Existence

@nasar7 said:

@arbitrarywater said:

I'll call your 3 stars and raise you to 4 stars!

I think I'll match that.

I wonder if GB will post it's review today- if they review it at all. I don't see a QL in the upcoming tab.

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Manachild

I believe that Brad might be reviewing it. I think he alluded to playing it for a review or something like that on the bombcast + his destiny live stream the other day. I might have my facts mixed up though.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I have no expectations for the game, so it could surprise me. I just hope the plot isn't fanfiction tripe on the level of The Third Age.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

@sirfork said:

Man some of you are pretty bitter, its Monolith so i'm expecting something at least decent. The game hasn't been hyped up to stupidly overly exaggerated levels so that's good. Nemesis system sounds like they are trying something different and the combat looks fun, and at the end of the day fun is the only thing that matters really. The story can be shit and the nemesis system might not be as great as they say, but as long as hacking up dudes is fun then i'm good. Seem's like too many people are expecting revolutions with every game that comes out nowadays, just enjoy them for what they are. I mean fuck me I had a good time with resident evil 6 solo so maybe I just like shitty games.

News flash. You like shitty games. I'm on the side of people who really are jaded with the number of samey AAA games developed under the same assumption that taking risks equals financial ruin.

That said, Mordor looks cool. I'm interested to see the critical reception. Monolith have been very bold about putting gameplay footage out there and that speaks to their confidence in the game. Hopefully it lives up to that.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By impartialgecko
    @hailinel said:

I have no expectations for the game, so it could surprise me. I just hope the plot isn't fanfiction tripe on the level of The Third Age.

Speaking of which, Alexa Ray Corriea's feature on the history of LOTR games has a great segment on how the licensing issues with the Tolkien estate turned The Third Age into the narrative mess that it was.

Whatever, that game was okay and also basically FFX.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Solh0und

Well from all the trailers I watched, it definitely seems like a LOTR games I see myself enjoying so i'll definitely be picking it up.

SirFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impartialgecko: Guess my fears have been realized, oh well guess i'd rather be on that side of the fence, more to enjoy. But yes the fact that they seem pretty upfront about it does speak about their confidence, I hardly ever see review embargo's that lift a good few days before the game is released. I also got the game for 30 dollars so its not like I was going to say no.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@hailinel said:

Speaking of which, Alexa Ray Corriea's feature on the history of LOTR games has a great segment on how the licensing issues with the Tolkien estate turned The Third Age into the narrative mess that it was.

Whatever, that game was okay and also basically FFX.

Here's the article in question, if anyone wants to read it. It's a good reminder that Polygon can still put out interesting stuff when they're not churning out clickbait. The stuff about how every single LotR game has essentially had to tap dance around certain aspects of the lore or movies is fascinating

Man, The Third Age. I totally played that game back in the day and I couldn't tell you a thing about it other than vaguely remembering that it was a totally okay JRPG-style thing with a cast that consisted of ersatz versions of actual Lord of the Rings characters. That sounds like a future blog to me!

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#40  Edited By Kidavenger

I'm really looking forward to this game, kind of hoping it's something they were able to take a chance on and do some interesting things with now that the license isn't as big as it was.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater: I may have played The Third Age as recently as July this year with a friend who is a total Lord of the Rings nut who's convinced it's one of the greatest games ever made.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Reviews have dropped and turns out we got another hit on our hands, gents.

Fuck, I wish I had more money.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

9.3 on IGN? Didn't expect that.

Yokelbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, 8's and 9's everywhere I look.

Now I am extremely pumped!

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45  Edited By Junkerman

@arbitrarywater: I think it was the first game I ever got for my Xbox way back when. The protagonist is a minor Gondorian Character who befriends Pipin in his character arc. You also get an elven magic user, a ranger, and basically an exact duplicate of the Rohan King's Daughter who becomes our protagonist's love interest in the last 5 seconds of the game even though he was after the elf at first. Even more excitingly, in the last 5 seconds of the game (Its a real jam-packed 5 seconds) You magically get teleported to the top of Sauron's tower for the most epic show down of last generation... yeah you fight the Eye of Sauron, the fight we all dreamed about.

...You fight the eye of Sauron with JRPG attacks... look it up if you don't believe me!

Although I do remember going into Moria as being really cool. But even as a kid I was cringing at the rest of the rubbish. Totally worth playing! ...Or you-tubing the ending and having a good laugh/cry.

Oh.... uh... spoilers...

Existence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty pleased with the scores! I was bracing myself for a let down similar to the likes of Watch Dogs.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, those are way more positive than I expected. And I was pretty hopeful about this game in the first place. That's great; can't wait to play it, then.

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

9.3 on IGN? Didn't expect that.

Is that sarcasm?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Hunkulese

@csl316: I don't get why it's a shock. All the preview stuff looked great. Listening to forum posters is always a bad idea. No matter how cool something looks they'll always focus on every reason why the game will suck.

SirFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.