Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Sep 30, 2014

An open-world action-adventure game by Monolith, set between the events of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

Shadow of Mordor: Are you in it for the long haul?

• 69 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As long as they're fun, I'd continue to play. I don't have a set time frame for when I get bored of anything. It's fun until it isn't fun anymore.

Avatar image for darknessmyoldfriend
    DarknessMyOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darknessmyoldfriend said:

How many games in the Shadow of Mordor series do you think you will play?

Personally, my natural inclination is to assume four, but it is totally possible that with AC and Batman fatigue upping my early jaded level that it'll only be three games.

If I had to put money on it I'd say I'll enjoy the first two games, enjoy the third but not as much as I want to, and then play the fourth and fifth with less and less enthusiasm, then give up on a spin off between the full fifth and sixth game. It'll probably have an interesting game play hook, let's say playing as a Corsair of Umbar who is becomes a double agent of Gondor. So you'll pillage up and down the coast while secretly nudging things in the direction that Minas Tirth favors, and it'd be a different side of the world than you'd seen before and it would have unique ship based combat, but I think my interest would just peter out before I end up beating the game. After that I probably won't play anymore until it is rebooted in the next console generation.

So what about you, how long will you stick with this series?

Dude. Dude??? Dude!? The first game isn't even out yet.

How the hell does anyone know how many of the next few games, if any, they will play. That's like asking a ten year old how many people they will have intercourse with over the next 10 years - damned if they know!

If they are a poster on these boards the answer is pretty obvious - zero.

Existence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Existence

I'm the sort of person who doesn't give a shit about a company "exploiting" or "milking" a franchise, as long as they consistently put out fun and entertaining games- it's when the games start feeling tired that I start thumbing my nose at it (and I realise everyone has different limits on that)

In that context, provided I like this game, I'll have no problems buying sequels as long as they continue being good.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoa I'm not really expecting this series to even get past the first one, not because I think it's bad but because it's LotR and the games are constantly changing. Fingers crossed it sells well to get a sequel but I'll be playing it by ear which I've learn to do since the AC series.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Ezekiel

It would be nice if more devs made games to the very best of their abilities and then improved them with updates. There would be no need for sequels for many games. Instead of making a sequel, they could then carry some of the things they liked about the game over to a new awesome idea for a game or world. I mean, what's the point of making a sequel when they've put everything they wanted into the game? They'd probably just make the sequel worse by trying to make it different (and missing the point) or adding things that don't matter. Or they'd have to come up with a bad excuse to extend the concluded story. I see those things in lots of sequels. I should be glad sequelitis isn't this bad in other mediums.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

This seems to be what some people were complaining about concerning Jeff during the Gamescom video. Sorry, I don't mean the prospect of multiple sequels, I mean the cynicism. But while I would say Jeff has a professional and guarded outlook on video games, this is just silly. I've been playing games for nearly two decades now, and even though I've lost the initial wide-eyed fascination I once had with them, I like to think I don't view them under such a sterile scope. Yuck.

Unless this is just AC parody, in which case yes, "ha-ha, that game had a lot of sequels. Good one."

DarknessMyOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, I'm getting pretty excited for this. I might actually play the sixth game as well. I really am looking forward to them expanding the crafting system and adding a robust home base area you can upgrade and fortify! Hopefully we can ignore the tower defense elements.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ripelivejam

2 Shadow 2 Mordor

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59  Edited By Lanechanger

Just take it one game at a time... if the next one comes out in like a year with barely any new mechanics/changes, I'm probably gonna skip it. If it comes out years from now with a slew of exciting new mechanics/changes that I feel is worthy of another $50 or whatever it'll be... then sure!

repeat this process 4 more times

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I would probably enjoy two, but play a third and be dissapointed by it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Wait what? They already announced multiple sequels? Yeah, okay we saw how well that turned out for Too Human.

DarknessMyOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait what? They already announced multiple sequels? Yeah, okay we saw how well that turned out for Too Human.

The problem with Too Human wasn't sequels, it was Too Human.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos said:

The problem with Too Human wasn't sequels, it was Too Human.

Take that back. Too Human was awesome.

But whatever. So long as the sequels are good I'll play them.

DarknessMyOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Take that back. Too Human was awesome.

But whatever. So long as the sequels are good I'll play them.

Trust me, I played a TON of too human.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think i am, ive already put 18 hrs in and i just got to the second area.
    Might have to go and get the season pass soon.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I think i am, ive already put 18 hrs in and i just got to the second area.

Might have to go and get the season pass soon.

Yeah I'm at 13 just entering the second area. Plus I still have a lot of hash to settle back in the first.

I'll be back Luga. I'll be back.

I don't remember the last time I even considered buying DLC let alone a season's pass but yeah... the hooks are in real deep.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By bargainben

@pr1mus said:

Maybe it's just me but this sounds like a really boring and really cynical way to look at games...

The pitch for the game was cynical. They threw popular things in a stew and it sold. This is the kind of thing jaded execs get to pat themselves on the back over because it validates their cynical mindset of what the dull masses want. So of course it will get a bunch of sequels. I say this having enjoyed it, but then I read people mad about the game not following the lore close enough and Im like "dude, do you not understand what this game actually is?" This isnt a love letter to fans of the book. I've always wanted an AC style game in a fantasy setting so I might stick with this for a while. I feel like there's maybe some interesting multiplayer potential here, where you play an orc with Ai underling companions who can be killed or turned by other player characters. From a gameplay standpoint, there are lots of places to go from here and not being hampered by historical (or lore) constraints gives them a bit of freedom to do interesting things than AC, and AC had like a dozen sequels.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#68  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

So, having just seen the credits roll, I'll say that I really want to see at least one sequel to this game. There are a lot of really cool systems and ideas in play here, but it takes roughly 1/2 or 2/3 of the game before they fully develop. I'd love to see a sequel that rolls everything out a bit quicker and throws you in to another orc filled sandbox.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@chaser324: They need more attributes and more event types. It takes no time at all before you've seen 5 different captains named Lumlog and invaded 20 feasts.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Definitely not in it for the long haul. I'm only 5 hours in and the drab Mordor environment is already starting to wear thin for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.