Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Sep 30, 2014

An open-world action-adventure game by Monolith, set between the events of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

Why do "Next-Gen" games on PC use so much video memory!?

gypopotamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gypopotamus

So many games have released recently that use massive amounts of video memory for no apparent reason!

For a 1440p monitor user with a pair of GTX 780s, it's really frustrating having to lower texture resolutions etc just so I don't get stutters!

Here's a rant I recorded about the issue:

Can anyone on here provide a reasonable explanation as to why these games perform so badly?

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Zelyre

SLI'ing your video cards doesn't double your vram, just a heads up in case you didn't know.

Also, I bet those ultra textures are for people with 4k displays. However, I doubt the ultra textures are anything special.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@zelyre said:

SLI'ing your video cards doesn't double your vram, just a heads up in case you didn't know.

Also, I bet those ultra textures are for people with 4k displays. However, I doubt the ultra textures are anything special.

The difference between High and Ultra is almost unnoticable at 1080p.

gypopotamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre said:

@corevi said:
    @zelyre said:

The difference between High and Ultra is almost unnoticable at 1080p.

Yeah I did know that, and the difference is still barely noticeable at 1440p!

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How are you forcing the SLI?

If you fiddle around with that a bit you could probably fix your problem. Or just wait until it's officially supported. The 6gb seems to be just a random big number they threw out there.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WesternWizard

I thought I read somewhere that the ultra textures only make a noticeable difference when you get up to 4k resolution. Which, if so, means they future proofed the hell out of this game.

gypopotamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunkulese I'm just using the Nvidia control panel "force alternate frame rendering" option to force the SLI, and yeah I'm sure they just put it out because it sounds impressive :L

And Yeah @westernwizard maybe it is noticeable at 4k, but i've not seen any reports about it and I don't have a 4k monitor... yet... :P

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WesternWizard

Supposedly ultra textures are just less compressed/totally uncompressed compared to the next best set, so it would take a LOT to make much difference period simply because you are removing those little hints of artifacting caused by the minor compression done to high textures.

gypopotamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@westernwizard: Yeah maybe, although that seems like it would be a total waste no matter what res you're playing at! Except for screenshots maybe.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Corevi
    @westernwizard said:

Supposedly ultra textures are just less compressed/totally uncompressed compared to the next best set, so it would take a LOT to make much difference period simply because you are removing those little hints of artifacting caused by the minor compression done to high textures.

They are completely uncompressed.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By rethla

Texture resolution is not monitor resolution. The ultra textures should make just as much (or rather insignificant) difference no matter if you play at 1080p or 4k.

gypopotamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gypopotamus

@rethla: Yeah but it will be more noticeable at a higher resolution.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla said:

Texture resolution is not monitor resolution. The ultra textures should make just as much (or rather insignificant) difference no matter if you play at 1080p or 4k.

You can't see the compression artifacts unless you have that many pixels though.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:
    @rethla said:

You can't see the compression artifacts unless you have that many pixels though.

I seriously doubt that. The textures probably will look even more low res in 4k resolution just like every upressed "HD edition" game does. The textures aint made for 4k.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's common for the highest (ultra) settings to be a notch above what current consoles are putting out so it's not surprising that playing "next-gen" games all maxed out will have serious demands

gypopotamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie: My PC is probably around 8x as powerful as a PS4, so it should be able to handle higher resolution textures (and it does - the "high" preset ones are much higher res than the consoles have), but this games uses more than it seems as though it really needs considering how it looks. It looks nice, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't look THAT nice!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@gypopotamus: Yeah...even High textures on PC with everything else set to a mix of high and ultra looks significantly better than the console versions. Keep in mind the consoles are running 30 fps as well.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gypopotamus: its made for the consoles. By bruteforcing it with a pc you can up the sharpness a little bit att high costs but all the assets and gamedesign is still made for the consoles. Its the same with all pc ports.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By cornbredx

I haven't seen anyone answer your question, but it's simple. The textures in the game are uncompressed and high definition.

The ultra requirements are so high because the textures are basically rendering what the developers created the textures at which has always been well above standard computers.

So the highest recommended setting is basically what the textures were originally created to render at. At least thats what Monolith is saying in comparison to Shadow of Mordor.

gypopotamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla: "Bruteforcing it" works with every other game on the market!

@cornbredx It just seems like it runs way worse than they could have made it! There are plenty of games with ridiculously high res textures that run far better than this!

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By cornbredx

@gypopotamus: Ya, my prediction guess is it's slightly less optimized as an excuse to pump up the requirements. It's not poor or anything, but I think it's unnecessarily needy.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Corevi
    @gypopotamus said:

@rethla: "Bruteforcing it" works with every other game on the market!

@cornbredx It just seems like it runs way worse than they could have made it! There are plenty of games with ridiculously high res textures that run far better than this!

It's well optimized except that it doesn't work with SLI well, even if you force it. A single 780 can max it and have it run at a constant 60 except for Ultra textures.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.