Double Fine's latest game is out now! How is it?

#1 Posted by mosespippy (4165 posts) -

Well, it's out in Canada only, but it's still out. Is it any good?

#2 Edited by llamaegg (227 posts) -

Whaaaaaa~ I live in Canada and love Double Fine and I don't know about this? BLASPHEMY!

iOS? Booooo

#3 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

I have no idea what it is but man oh man is that an excellent name.

#4 Posted by TooWalrus (13195 posts) -

@Tylea002 said:

I have no idea what it is but man oh man is that an excellent name.

I was going to say that exact thing.

#5 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5250 posts) -

It looks like a simulation game mixed with rpg combat where you train superheros.

#6 Posted by megabite10164 (39 posts) -

I have spent some time with the game and can say that the art style and concept work out very well but at the end of the day it falls down to the manage then wait free to play model that a lot of games follow. Other games have handled it better, i.e. NimbleBit with their Tiny Tower and Pocket Planes, but the fact that it is Published by the established and loved Double Fine goes along way for the enjoyment of the game.

It does have a coin copier (2 for 1 in game currency) in game purchase for $1.99 which I would advise purchasing early in game to show support if you like it.

#7 Posted by ReCkLeSs_X (460 posts) -

I'm defintiely enjoying it's charm. Threw in 2 bucks for the coin copier just for some DoubleFine support.

#8 Posted by project343 (2823 posts) -

It's adorable and fun. But it's still a F2P management mobile game. I adore Double Fine, but I have a real hard time enjoying this genre... it just feels like busywork.

#9 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

I'll be sure to tell you when it hits Android.

#10 Posted by megabite10164 (39 posts) -

One thing worth pointing out is that the System stops when the game is not running. It is not like tiny planes where things will take hours or even days to complete tasks. The timer only runs when you are playing so realistically you are waiting for a couple of minutes max. The longest I have waited is 8 minutes to learn a new skill for my character (you also control the middle manager as another character in game.) The game will give you it's premium currency for defeating major chapters which you purchase new champs with but you also receive a smaller amount for completing smaller tasks like delegating matches or building the office. It seems to be balanced so that you can use that currency to speed up the longer waits.

I have only been playing for about half an hour so I'm not sure if it picks up later in the game but overall it feels like it has been balanced so that you need to delegate certain missions out (CPU controlled) so you can manage your base. It does this in a way so you actually feel a crunch of time for playing efficiently unlike the NimbleBit games.

#11 Posted by raynate2022 (301 posts) -

I'm fairly addicted to it. It's a time management/RPG/Humor game. Pretty typical for Double Fine and their sense of humor. If you can..GET IT!

#12 Posted by DriveupLife (915 posts) -

I played it for four hours today, really addicting, in app purchases are completely optional and not required to finish the game. I just bought the coin doubler machine that gives you an additional coin for every one coin you collect to support Doublefine.

#13 Posted by Flappybat (73 posts) -

Too lightweight, it's not an offensive grind but it also doesn't bring anything to the table.

Kinda sad that so many phone games aren't any better than flash games you can play for free in a browser.

#14 Posted by Drebin_893 (2914 posts) -

It just sounds like I wish they'd charged £5 for it.

#15 Edited by BisonHero (6493 posts) -

I actually find it kind of stressful how short all of the timers are, and how unclear I am about whether the timer keeps ticking down in menus or not. I guess it's a more engaging version of the Tiny Tower/Pocket Planes model, but I find myself not even thinking of using real money to buy the resource that lets you hire more heroes because it's hard enough efficiently assigning the small number you have in the first ~5 hours of the game.

To their credit, it's funny, and there's some decent dialogue, but it doesn't fix the timer-management subgenre in any real way, and the combat is only hard if you're wildly underleveled or only send like 1 hero. Also Jesus what a battery hog.

Also, there's a bunch of rooms that I can't fathom why you'd expand to all 4 stations. Other than getting 4 beds in the dormroom (because sometimes everybody needs to heal), you don't really need 4 of anything. I don't think you can afford to have all 4 of your active heroes on long-ass tasks like training or researching, unless later in the game when you have like 10+ heroes, maybe you can delegate enough heroes to cover all the fights and assign 4 dudes to stuff like research. Also I'm not clear on whether upgrading your manager actually changes anything other than unlocking upgrades for the various rooms. It seems like it doesn't speed up any of the actions related to the manager.

#16 Posted by JohnstonThistle (42 posts) -

It's crap because it's on iOS.

#17 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2687 posts) -

Android version plz.

#18 Posted by PurpleSpandex (282 posts) -

@BisonHero: Don't sweat the timers all it does is make the people more sad. All you have to do is level up some and then fight and they'll go right back to happy.

#19 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I'm liking it so far.

#20 Posted by BisonHero (6493 posts) -
@PurpleSpandex

@BisonHero: Don't sweat the timers all it does is make the people more sad. All you have to do is level up some and then fight and they'll go right back to happy.

Yeah, I know the penalty doesn't matter, but it still feels like I'm playing sloppily and I don't like it. And it just feels weird that your active heroes are the ones training and researching, while inactive ones can still be dispatched to fight crime. That seems backwards.
#21 Posted by Brad (2997 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

Also Jesus what a battery hog.

I'm new to iOS (well, been away for two years), but I was surprised how hot my 5 got when I played this game for about 30 minutes. Are the heat and power draw typical of iOS games or is this one egregious about it?

Staff
#22 Posted by EVO (3901 posts) -

@Brad said:

@BisonHero said:

Also Jesus what a battery hog.

I'm new to iOS (well, been away for two years), but I was surprised how hot my 5 got when I played this game for about 30 minutes. Are the heat and power draw typical of iOS games or is this one egregious about it?

The heat is typical, but this game seems more power hungry than most.

#23 Posted by BisonHero (6493 posts) -

@EVO said:

@Brad said:

@BisonHero said:

Also Jesus what a battery hog.

I'm new to iOS (well, been away for two years), but I was surprised how hot my 5 got when I played this game for about 30 minutes. Are the heat and power draw typical of iOS games or is this one egregious about it?

The heat is typical, but this game seems more power hungry than most.

I remember Infinity Blade causing a similar amount of heat and power draw, but actually most of the other games I play regularly don't seem nearly as bad.

#24 Posted by PurpleSpandex (282 posts) -

@BisonHero: I think I'm almost done with it. It'd be nice to have a screen with all the heroes where you can queue up the next thing after sleep. It'd also be nice if they were a tad smarter and would sleep when they have no health. Its not perfect but its addictive as hell for some reason.

#25 Posted by huser (1079 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

Well, it's out in Canada only, but it's still out. Is it any good?

It's pretty awesome. If only because the game isn't hidden behind a paywall. Money would make it more streamlined in spots, but in no way is necessary to play. Classic Double Fine charm on display as well.

#26 Posted by huser (1079 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

I actually find it kind of stressful how short all of the timers are, and how unclear I am about whether the timer keeps ticking down in menus or not. I guess it's a more engaging version of the Tiny Tower/Pocket Planes model, but I find myself not even thinking of using real money to buy the resource that lets you hire more heroes because it's hard enough efficiently assigning the small number you have in the first ~5 hours of the game.

To their credit, it's funny, and there's some decent dialogue, but it doesn't fix the timer-management subgenre in any real way, and the combat is only hard if you're wildly underleveled or only send like 1 hero. Also Jesus what a battery hog.

Also, there's a bunch of rooms that I can't fathom why you'd expand to all 4 stations. Other than getting 4 beds in the dormroom (because sometimes everybody needs to heal), you don't really need 4 of anything. I don't think you can afford to have all 4 of your active heroes on long-ass tasks like training or researching, unless later in the game when you have like 10+ heroes, maybe you can delegate enough heroes to cover all the fights and assign 4 dudes to stuff like research. Also I'm not clear on whether upgrading your manager actually changes anything other than unlocking upgrades for the various rooms. It seems like it doesn't speed up any of the actions related to the manager.

I believe it unlocks better middle manager powers you use in fights. You might have gotten to this point already, but I found from the midgame on keeping a rotating crew of "inactives" go on missions while keeping four in the base practicing/training/researching kept everyone leveled/healed, while also keeping all the districts happy and keeping the money flowing.

#27 Posted by EVO (3901 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

@EVO said:

@Brad said:

@BisonHero said:

Also Jesus what a battery hog.

I'm new to iOS (well, been away for two years), but I was surprised how hot my 5 got when I played this game for about 30 minutes. Are the heat and power draw typical of iOS games or is this one egregious about it?

The heat is typical, but this game seems more power hungry than most.

I remember Infinity Blade causing a similar amount of heat and power draw, but actually most of the other games I play regularly don't seem nearly as bad.

Shufflepack Cantina makes my iPhone almost painfully hot.

#28 Posted by AlisterCat (5559 posts) -

I've been playing this game for a couple of hours and really enjoying it. Like a lot of mobile games, it's basically managerial busywork. I think that is totally legitimate for a style of gameplay. The game stands out through it's sense of style and having turn based combat in there too. Really enjoying it and plan to play some more.

#29 Posted by ILikePopCans (752 posts) -

When you give a hero an assignment (research, training) the timer for it will continue while you are not playing, but the countdown for the missions will not.

I have now beaten all the "story" missions and I'm only playing to complete the to-do list and see what happens. The game is enjoyable enough but it gets old fast. The combat gets too easy too fast and their is not enough to upgrade in the base. It does has some nice writing but it was never laugh out loud funny and it can not carry the middling gameplay.

#30 Posted by Etnos (245 posts) -

Saddens me to say.. Its just kind of boring.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.