Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Midway Games

Company »

A now-defunct publisher and developer that was based in Chicago. Best known later in its life for the Mortal Kombat series, Midway's legacy traces back to early pinball and arcade releases, when the company was known as Williams.

Warner Wants To Buy Midway... Well, Some Of It

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    See, the top half of Shang Tsung represents Chicago and Seattle. His left leg is San Diego, and the right? Yeah, that's Newcastle.
    See, the top half of Shang Tsung represents Chicago and Seattle. His left leg is San Diego, and the right? Yeah, that's Newcastle.
    Midway issued a release this morning informing the world that Warner Bros. Entertainment has placed a bid of $33,000,000 for many of the troubled company's assets. This bid is filed with the bankruptcy court handling Midway's situation, which then goes through a big process, eventually giving other interested parties time to bid, as well.

That $33m would purchase Midway's Chicago studio (Mortal Kombat), Seattle studio (This is Vegas, The Suffering), and control of the company's US assets, which sounds like it includes the company's vast back catalog of arcade games and other intellectual property. It does not, however, include rights to make games based on the TNA franchise, or the San Diego studio that's been working on TNA iMPACT! 2. It also doesn't include Midway's Newcastle branch, which most recently shipped The Wheelman.

If this ends with Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero getting made into a blockbuster motion picture under Warner Bros., then I suppose I'm all for it. But the thought of the TNA license getting jettisoned is a little troubling, as that genre would certainly benefit from some more regular competition... though it's hard to say what would happen to that studio if Midway were to get split in half like this. Would the parts that don't get purchased get shut down? Or would Midway still exist in some kind of weird "we make wrestling and mission-based driving games and that's it" form? I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    Midway issued a release this morning informing the world that Warner Bros. Entertainment has placed a bid of $33,000,000 for many of the troubled company's assets. This bid is filed with the bankruptcy court handling Midway's situation, which then goes through a big process, eventually giving other interested parties time to bid, as well.

That $33m would purchase Midway's Chicago studio (Mortal Kombat), Seattle studio (This is Vegas, The Suffering), and control of the company's US assets, which sounds like it includes the company's vast back catalog of arcade games and other intellectual property. It does not, however, include rights to make games based on the TNA franchise, or the San Diego studio that's been working on TNA iMPACT! 2. It also doesn't include Midway's Newcastle branch, which most recently shipped The Wheelman.

If this ends with Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero getting made into a blockbuster motion picture under Warner Bros., then I suppose I'm all for it. But the thought of the TNA license getting jettisoned is a little troubling, as that genre would certainly benefit from some more regular competition... though it's hard to say what would happen to that studio if Midway were to get split in half like this. Would the parts that don't get purchased get shut down? Or would Midway still exist in some kind of weird "we make wrestling and mission-based driving games and that's it" form? I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

Whoa, did not see that coming. Is Midway worth 33 million?

Aounslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Aounslaught
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By End_Boss
    @LiquidPrince: no, and neither is Mortal Kombat, but Warner has money to burn.
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By maxszy
    LiquidPrince said:
    Whoa, did not see that coming. Is Midway worth 33 million?
    "This is Vegas" is worth double that. At least. No doubt. Hands down.

*cough*
    JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JokerClown88

Ive always rooted for Midway.  Hopefully they can figure out something so that they can come out on top here.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I just hope that if it happens, it works out well for the MK team.

Nyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Nyro

When I red "(This is Vegas, The Suffering)," I red it as "This is Vegas this is Suffering" and then I thought that might not be such a bad game.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By KingBroly

Well...Mortal Kombat's worth $30 million by itself, and I think the soda and candy machines in the other studios make up the rest of the $3 million.

dQuarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By dQuarters

Pfft. Ed Boon's eyebrows are insured for more money than that!

Seriously though, put up a damn bid Ubi! Capcom? ... SOMEONE!! Please, for the love of the elder gods! ... Not WB.
    This will only ensure less deadly alliances and more unholy ones.
    ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By ZombiePie

Hopefully Warner knows how to properly manage Midway better than Midway managed itself so best of luck to them. Midway has potential with their massive back catalog of arcade games and Mortal Kombat, but they just haven't been able to reach the same glory they had during the arcade days.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Xeiphyer

Hmmm Mortal Kombat is their only good IP as far as I(and most people) are concerned.

I think capcom would be a good fit for taking over Mortal Kombat, MK hasn't had any good games come out in the last half a decade.
    I'm not much of a fan for fighting games, but if street fighter 4 is anything to take as an example, I think MK would be safe in capcoms hands.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TehBuLL

The whole Midway situation is way too confusing.  So does Warner acquire Midway's debt now, or because of bankruptcy does that go somewhere else?  What happened to that guy who bought most of the company for dirt cheap?  It's easy to say that 'Mortal Kombat is worth that much' but really with the cost of developing games nowadays and the fact that Mortal Kombat is not the sure thing it once was...I don't know.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By phrosnite

I want MK vs. SF Period

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kohe321

Woah hope they figure something out.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Evilmetal

the video game market will get polluted with conglomerate owned developers... we will have the big and rich media back devs and the small and indy devs...  big film company and indy film company? schism time...

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheKidNixon

Hmmm, I wonder if this is related to the DC game making some capital. I thought it didn't do as well as they were hoping, and I doubt that Warner Brothers Interactive had much if anything to do with the game. But it still seems kinda too tight of a coincidence to really have popped up otherwise.

Bummer about Wheelman not being part of the deal, I kinda liked that game despite itself. Was kinda hoping to see more from that development group.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jayzilla

i think its time for Jeff to come to grips with what he already knows; wrestling games aren't that fun any more, and the sport(not game versions of it)of boxing is dead. He has realized the latter, and is clinging to nostalgia of the former. It's cool man, give it up.

Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Matt_

They will probably try to roll them up into Warner Interactive. At least, that's what I think they would do.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheKidNixon
    Jayzilla said:
    i think its time for Jeff to come to grips with what he already knows; wrestling games aren't that fun ... [more]
    I'm not sure how saying that wrestling game genre needs competition is "clinging to nostalgia," unless you're saying that people should just stop making wrestling games for the rest of whatever. Which isn't going to happen.
    MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#21  Edited By MeatSim

Looks like their only taking the good parts of midway, which seems like a good move.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ryanwho

Regaurdless of how the games sell at the mo, just about everyone is aware of Mortal Kombat in some way (just like many people who never read a comic know about Superman and Batman, Scorpion and a few others have a similiar rep) so its worth buying up and reinvigorating. 

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DukeTogo

Vin Diesel in MK, now!

Lepuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lepuke

You know, Frank Zappa said it best after getting screwed by them in the 70's and if he were still around he would still be saying it. "Warner Bros. sucks."

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By RHCPfan24

Ah, Midway. Please don't die on me. It is comforting to see it still living, but I feel bad if this falls through.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Media_Master

MK vs. marvel vs. sf

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.