Milo (And Kate) Appears at TEDGlobal

• 76 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Milo isn't dead, but the snail the little digital boy splattered this afternoon at the TEDGlobal 2010 conference sure as hell is.

After a mini-PR campaign launched by Microsoft revealed that Lionhead Studios is still developing the Milo project, the Kinect-controlled simulation has now had its first public demonstration since E3 2009

At TED, Peter Molyneux took the stage and allowed a demonstrator to show off the curious title for those in attendance. According to Wired UK's coverage, a few different scenes were shown, one being the inside of a house, where the demonstrator had Milo clean up his bedroom. Another was outside by a pond, where the player was asked to teach the boy how to skip stones. The best one, of course, was outside in an area with snails, where the aforementioned murder of mollusks occurred.

Kill the bucket, Milo. Kill it.

== TEASER ==Molyneux said no one's Milo will be the same. Mine will certainly be different. I can't wait to teach my Milo how to dispose of bodies, operate by a strict code, and lead a double life in a posh Miami flat. (It all starts with this kind of innocent snail-smashing stuff, you know.)

As Joystiq points out, a more traditional narrative structure for Milo--which is now being called properly Milo and Kate--was also revealed during the demonstration. The game will revolve around a Milo who has just moved and wants to explore his new surroundings. You'll be in charge of assisting him and, if you want, turning his digital boy brain to mush.

Oh, and speaking of Milo's brain? Apparently, it'll be stored in a cloud of some sort. I'm pretty sure this is how Judgment Day starts. Or Mad Max. I forgot which.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Milo isn't dead, but the snail the little digital boy splattered this afternoon at the TEDGlobal 2010 conference sure as hell is.

After a mini-PR campaign launched by Microsoft revealed that Lionhead Studios is still developing the Milo project, the Kinect-controlled simulation has now had its first public demonstration since E3 2009

At TED, Peter Molyneux took the stage and allowed a demonstrator to show off the curious title for those in attendance. According to Wired UK's coverage, a few different scenes were shown, one being the inside of a house, where the demonstrator had Milo clean up his bedroom. Another was outside by a pond, where the player was asked to teach the boy how to skip stones. The best one, of course, was outside in an area with snails, where the aforementioned murder of mollusks occurred.

Kill the bucket, Milo. Kill it.

== TEASER ==Molyneux said no one's Milo will be the same. Mine will certainly be different. I can't wait to teach my Milo how to dispose of bodies, operate by a strict code, and lead a double life in a posh Miami flat. (It all starts with this kind of innocent snail-smashing stuff, you know.)

As Joystiq points out, a more traditional narrative structure for Milo--which is now being called properly Milo and Kate--was also revealed during the demonstration. The game will revolve around a Milo who has just moved and wants to explore his new surroundings. You'll be in charge of assisting him and, if you want, turning his digital boy brain to mush.

Oh, and speaking of Milo's brain? Apparently, it'll be stored in a cloud of some sort. I'm pretty sure this is how Judgment Day starts. Or Mad Max. I forgot which.
#2 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Still think the whole Milo and Kate tech demo video was faked.  

The game will revolve around a Milo who has just moved and wants to explore his new surroundings. You'll be in charge of assisting him and, if you want, turning his digital boy brain to mush.    

Exact same plot as 'Hey you Pikachu! 
#3 Posted by fjor (294 posts) -

lol

#4 Posted by Sil3n7 (1176 posts) -

Oh god yes.

#5 Posted by RedHatDrew (329 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" Still think the whole Milo and Kate tech demo video was faked.  

The game will revolve around a Milo who has just moved and wants to explore his new surroundings. You'll be in charge of assisting him and, if you want, turning his digital boy brain to mush.    

Exact same plot as 'Hey you Pikachu!  "

I thought that Hey You, Pickachu! was supposed to turn the user's brain to mush?
#6 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@RedHatDrew said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" Still think the whole Milo and Kate tech demo video was faked.  

I thought that Hey You, Pickachu! was supposed to turn the user's brain to mush? "
Milo is the same. Just with Pedofiles. 
#7 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

I love TED conferences.

Every time someone links to one I lose hours watching intelligent people talk about fascinating things.

This time, though? I don't think I'll watch Peter Molyneux run his mouth.

#8 Posted by AzNRicky (7 posts) -

i wonder what kind of game this would evolve to..

#9 Posted by dudeglove (7684 posts) -

I can't wait to tell Milo to fuck off.

#10 Edited by crusnchill (856 posts) -

I still worry about what sort of people this game'll attract.

ie: "Take your clothes OFF Milo! And show me your wee-wee!"

I still laugh at that old ass joke to this date, but it's really creepy either way...

#11 Posted by Grilledcheez (3942 posts) -

Cloud brains are the future

#12 Posted by AngelicRampage (110 posts) -

i want to see the footage of the game

#13 Posted by Delta_Ass (3246 posts) -

The picture looks like Milo and MILF.

#14 Posted by SuperJoe (865 posts) -

Milo = Skynet

#15 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

Milo -  go play with traffic 

Now Kate - where were we? Those clothes of yours look awfully uncomfortable.....

#16 Posted by Dudacles (1442 posts) -

Heh, new technology being explored is worthwhile, I guess. Though it remains to be seen just how gamey and scripted this whole Milo thing is going to be. Above all, though, the concept as I understand it does not appeal to me. Why would I want to guide this boy around? Yeah, it sounds novel, and I'm sure it would be cool in a funny "Haha, this boy does my bidding and answers in eerily accurate ways" but the best thing I can see coming from it is having one in an amusement park or something and paying a dollar to see what it's all about. 

It's the type of stuff you see on the Discovery Channel: robots being able to fold up towels by themselves, an ineffective and expensive jetpack that allows you to fly for a couple of minutes and is extremely dangerous... a program that acts like a real person fits right in. Like the aforementioned subjects, Milo is intriguing, but only as something that you watch from afar as you observe the scientists messing around with their new toys. Would you ever buy such a robot, given the fact that folding towels doesn't take much effort and you're better at it than any robot? Would you buy a jetpack, given the fact that it's A) ridiculously expensive and B) you'll have to refuel after a couple of miles which is also ridiculously expensive. No? Why then would you buy Milo?

#17 Posted by RecSpec (3753 posts) -

This still seems like it could go really, really wrong.

#18 Posted by Zachariahus (129 posts) -

What the hell is on top of that xbox?

#19 Posted by SnakeEyes327 (334 posts) -
@Zachariahus said:
" What the hell is on top of that xbox? "
It's a Debug unit, they have different hard drives.
#20 Posted by FizzleNizzleBear (335 posts) -
@OmegaPirate said:
" Milo -  go play with traffic  Now Kate - where were we? Those clothes of yours look awfully uncomfortable..... "
Kate is a dog in the game. You sick, sick man
#21 Posted by Phished0ne (2476 posts) -
@FizzleNizzleBear said:
" @OmegaPirate said:
" Milo -  go play with traffic  Now Kate - where were we? Those clothes of yours look awfully uncomfortable..... "
Kate is a dog in the game. You sick, sick man "
lololol 

i hate using this phrase..but 

pwnd
#22 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -
@Phished0ne said:
" @FizzleNizzleBear said:
" @OmegaPirate said:
Kate is a dog in the game. You sick, sick man "
lololol   i hate using this phrase..but  pwnd "
Hey what's wrong with putting overcoats on dogs? furless dogs get cold in winter too - and i aint paying a vets bill....
#23 Posted by Jedted (2317 posts) -

I can't wait till this game is released just to see all the weird things people make Milo do.   

"Milo, sniff Kate's ass!" 
#24 Posted by Osaladin (2514 posts) -

Not to be overly critical, but this article sounds almost exactly like the one on Kotaku, even down to the snail killing.

#25 Posted by Korne (625 posts) -

I love the Dexter reference. 

#26 Posted by natetodamax (19167 posts) -

What happens if you stand there naked?

#27 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

So, I'm pretty tired. In fact, I'm fucking exhausted. 
When I read that Milo's brain was being stored in a goddamn cloud... I freaked the fuck out. 

Still that sounds to have a lot of potential for unfamiliars in the tech market.

#28 Edited by Jedted (2317 posts) -
@natetodamax said:

"What happens if you stand there naked? "

Maybe he gouges his eyes out at the first sight of you.
#29 Posted by KillerBears (248 posts) -

Oh boy, I cant wait to take advantage of a rich friend with a Kinect to play this. 

/Can't wait for the horrific youtube videos.

#30 Posted by ikabubu (201 posts) -

And just think of what this would imply for a new Seaman.

#31 Posted by baconbits33 (1156 posts) -

dude..... Now I'm really convinced Peter Molyneux is a child pedofile..... quick! To photoshop!!!

#32 Posted by MajorToms (366 posts) -
@natetodamax: 
I don't want to know what Molyneux concocted for that particular incident. But what if the kinect doesn't recognize that part of the anatomy? Good by glorious adult games :(
#33 Posted by Spiritof (2017 posts) -
@natetodamax:  Kinect takes a high def picture that is immediately forwarded to Bill Gates (and the FBI).
#34 Posted by Nik_NYG (558 posts) -

Brad Nicholson. Never beyond a Dexter reference

#35 Posted by MeatSim (10737 posts) -

Can i throw fist at Milo unit he learns how to clean his room on his own?

#36 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@SuperJoe said:
" Milo = Skynet "
Yup..................................
#37 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

This....this just isnt right.
#38 Posted by Milpool (506 posts) -

lolololololololololololololololololol. 

Additionally, 
 lololololololololololololololol 

That is all

#39 Posted by Brackynews (4037 posts) -

I refuse to make this digital boy perform horrific acts of depravity if I can't sit on the couch while doing it.  Standing is for chumps.

#40 Posted by FinalDasa (1452 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:     
And thats a bad thing?! lol
#41 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" What happens if you stand there naked? "
Molyneux tested it and Milo said, "Oh boy I love liver spotted balls!".
#42 Posted by kollay (1926 posts) -

Cleavage

#43 Posted by Legend (2646 posts) -
@kollay said:
" Cleavage "
Yep, that's all that matters in this whole page. :P
#44 Posted by snoopytimes (30 posts) -

Milo and Kate Plus 8

#45 Posted by Kenshiro28 (73 posts) -
@snoopytimes:  >:I
#46 Posted by selbie (1835 posts) -

Coming to DVD: Milo Does Dallas

#47 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@FinalDasa said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:     
And thats a bad thing?! lol "
HEY YOU PEDOFILE! 
#48 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3694 posts) -

Do I get to bring home Kate too?

#49 Posted by armaan8014 (5316 posts) -

Oh man, this could be so great. Watch out, Milo!

#50 Posted by dvorak (1496 posts) -

If Milo's learned knowledge is stored in the cloud, I will seriously be afraid.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.