A surreal first-person puzzle game.

MIND: Path to Thalamus Impressions

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Gosh, been playing this right now and the views are breathtaking. First person surreal dreamscape puzzler. So far the puzzles are fine, just got past the reflections one which was actually quite tricky. It's got a bit of a psychological thriller vibe like Alan Wake/Max Payne. I heard it's around 4-5 hours, which seems about good for the price.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/296070

Surprised it hasn't had a Quick Look yet.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

I'm definitely interested - first-person puzzle games are my thing.

The achievements put me off a bit, so I think I'll pick it up later. I know it sounds silly, but it's something that made me think twice about the game.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I'm definitely interested - first-person puzzle games are my thing.

The achievements put me off a bit, so I think I'll pick it up later. I know it sounds silly, but it's something that made me think twice about the game.

Mate, FP puzzle games are my jam!

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Cirdain

@beachthunder: This is actually quite good. The Art Direction of the game is amazing. The caves aren't that great and the light and dark bit made me want to throw up.

HisDudeness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Does anyone else wish the narrator would stop talking? I think the emotional power of the game (at least for me) would be much, much stronger if there was no voice over at all. They could've explained the backtstory with playable scenes, which would also make use of the fact that it is a video game, not a Terrence Malick film.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Watching the Quick Look now, and boy... the environments are striking.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I think it looks absolutely lovely, but the story/monologue is godawful. A game like this revels in soaking in all that weirdness from the environment and with a story delivered much more subtly than a dude constantly jabbering on about what he thinks about light and dark.

I'd like to play it, but if I do I'll probably turn off subtitles and lower the voice volume. The intro is enough to establish a premise without dialogue, and the rest I'd rather interpret for myself.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cirdain

@csl316: @hisdudeness: Ok I'm almost at the end and 10 mins ago I played one of the most memorable yet quite moments in a game I've played.

Here's vaguely what happened:

You're dodging getting stepped on by something huge that represents your Father. I mean huge. It sorta makes me wonder what a SCE Santa Monica Studio first person shooter would look like. I wish this had rift support because that moment was actually sorta scary. There's another part where you're walking under frozen ice that made me really jump with the sound design which I'm starting to love too.

All the puzzles are fairly straight forward when you play for a while. You start expect a few twists and tricks. Now I'm just adjusting the order which I do stuff and that solves a puzzle but I guess difficulty really depends on the person playing. The story is of a dude with some issues that he tackles in a unrealistically blasé manner which contrasts with his moments of "Oh god I think I might have left my daughter to die!" parts. It's that contrast that I don't like. As if mental problems induced my someone's past are solved in problem/solution segmented chunks. Right, ok, I've narrowed down my problem with the story. My problem with the story structure is that the writer has incorrectly assumed what the psychologically self-destructive breakdown would be like for someone in that situation.

note: I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK I'M TALKING ABOUT I NEED SOME SLEEP I'M JUST AN ARCHITECTURE STUDENT AAAHHHHHHH!!!!

Also I sorta like fog. So the environments are great for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.