Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft: Story Mode

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 13, 2015

A Telltale adventure game inspired by the sandbox game of the same name (and its numerous fan-created video series), as newbie builder Jesse and their friends search the lands of Minecraft for a group of legendary adventurers to save the world.

Telltale, Mojang Partnering for Minecraft: Story Mode

• 131 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    No Caption Provided

Telltale Games was teasing an unexpected announcement yesterday, and while I'd hoped for an X-Files revival, the company, instead, announced a partnership with Mojang to produce Minecraft: Story Mode.

Coming to unspecified consoles and other devices in 2015, Minecraft: Story Mode is "set in the world of Minecraft, the series will feature an original story, driven by player choice."

Of course, Minecraft doesn't have any real characters or plot to speak of, but none of that's stopping Mojang from investigating a Minecraft movie, too. Minecraft's community should prove good inspiration.

Minecraft: Story Mode joins Tales From the Borderlands and Game of Thrones as part of Telltale's lineup in 2015. We already know Telltale intends to continue The Walking Dead, but it's unclear when season three will begin, and there's no word yet on a second season of The Wolf Among Us.

Until we learn more, I leave you with this:

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

That's probably a good business move. Minecraft kids will buy anything associated with the series.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

So Minecraft is finally becoming a game?

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Telltale found a game template that was a hit and is cramming every property they can in the shortest time span in order to make a quick buck, thusly running what was once a fresh and interesting idea into the ground and scorching the earth around it.

Sounds like a few other game companies out there!

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this is game is episodic like other Telltale games, I wonder how the Minecraft crowd will respond to the long delays between episodes being released.

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

waiting for the "Small Business Man: A Telltale game series"

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By hassun

Jebus Telltale, slow down.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

'Giant Bomb Comments Thread - A Telltale Game Series - Ep. 1 People Coming Up With Funny A Telltale Game Series jokes'

ateatree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ateatree

Microjangtales Presents: Minecraft - More Money, Please Edition.

Honestly, I'm just curious as to what this is going to be. Are they going to turn all of the fanfictions made by twelve-year-olds into a game? Is it going to be in the Minecraft engine, or some facsimile thereof in Telltale's standard graphics engine/style? Real weird.

MetaB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

seriously?

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By bacongames

I don't see this as anything but the biz-dev opportunity knocking and them taking it. This likely won't step on the toes of their other storytelling efforts and for all we know this might come out of nowhere and be amazing.

Despite all the posturing over Telltale lately, they can still make a hell of an adventure game and have kept that up for a long time. So I for one won't be a snarky internetsman and say we can safely dismiss it as a smart business move for a company that isn't exactly the biggest or something that could be really cool, or both.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I'm interested to see what this'll be. They said it won't be about 'Steve', and it "won't go into too much detail about the world of Minecraft" (roughly approximated quote). So I guess they're just going to tell an original story using the Minecraft art style? Will it be more of a Telltale kids story? That could be potentially interesting.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

zorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zorak

Telltale has apparently realized that deep down, all they really want is LOADSAMONEY

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rafaelfc said:

Telltale found a game template that was a hit and is cramming every property they can in the shortest time span in order to make a quick buck, thusly running what was once a fresh and interesting idea into the ground and scorching the earth around it.

Sounds like a few other game companies out there!

To be fair, we owe the formula to David Cage more-so the Telltale.

Pabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

In Telltale Minecraft, can I recreate a better version of Telltale's Jurassic Park? If so, I'm in.

carlfoster91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

omg wut?

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zorak said:

Telltale has apparently realized that deep down, all they really want is LOADSAMONEY

I can tell you that no one in this industry would pass up the opportunity to be solvent, especially if the money comes down to make a project that leaves them with a lot of leeway to do their own thing.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GaspoweR

Minecraft is an anagram for "THIS SHIT PRINTS MONEY"

Loading Video...

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I for one will be extremely interested in seeing this from the point of view what will they create? Minecraft is pretty much a blank canvas whereas all their other franchises have had a pre-existing base to build on. Even with Borderlands sure they built their own characters but the lore and conflict of Pandora and Hyperion to start from. I think they did brilliantly in fleshing out the world so be interesting if they can go one step further with Minecraft and weave an underlying narrative as well as things that interest at a character level.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im not a minecraft expert but I would think adding a linear progression to the most sandbox game out there would be counter to the product statement. Who looks at a wildly successful thing and goes "let's add something completely unrelated, cus that's what the people are asking for a story

like what

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I await the announcement of the release date which will be announced with the first trailer, which comes one day after the leaked screenshots and one day before the game comes out.

amethon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I thought the point of Minecraft was to make your own story.

kubqo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If someone told me about this, i would consider it as one of those really bad aprils fool jokes.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

And now for something positive:

That's cool, it's nice to see a niche company do something with one of the biggest properties of today and one of the most relevant. It's great to see a creative dev making money and getting attention.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Combine good the good story telling of Telltale with the huge hit of Minecraft and you'll make at least some money. Kids are already creating their own stories and plots with Minecraft so why not take advantage of that void and put out your own?

ph00p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well TTG "games"(barely interactive comicbooks) are horrible, this is a perfect IP pairing for them finally, I just wish they weren't touching Game of Thrones.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bargainben

@finaldasa: If you see people making their own stories in this game as a "void" I think maybe you don't get this game. Making your own story is the game. That's not a void to be filled. The new people running Minecraft don't understand why it makes money so they're adding conventional tangible things they do understand (that miss the point of the game). I have to imagine the people who own Minecraft now might have seen the main thing that made the game popular as a "void" to be filled, like you did, and that's distressing for the future of the IP.

Its never good when suits who don't get why something is popular take over and let market research and outdated methods of measuring popularity change the trajectory of a franchise. Next I'll hear about a Minecraft movie or something. Imagine if the Scribblenaughts people understood the sandbox was the appeal of their IP instead of wasting time with this story mission structure nobody wanted. They coulda been big like Minecraft. But now people are looking at the Minecraft sandbox and seeing a "void", let's take out that sandbox and get like a lego pirate set. See you can make anything you want, based around this pirate ship. But wait there's still a void where people can be creative, let's replace that lego pirate ship set with a full premade toy. Surely the children would like that more than the sandbox, out of touch corporates agree.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally some canon Minecraft lore!

gravytrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only played one TTG game (Wolf Among Us), and honestly I can't wait till they drive this genre into the ground and one of these games totally flops. I'm already tired of them milking it for every property they possibly can. They're turning something that was a unique spin on visual novels into Guitar Hero.

Jonnyflash80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is going to make a metric shit ton of money. Good for Telltale and Mojang!

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still it's better than Minecraft with microtransaction blocks...

Mysterysheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zorak said:

I can tell you that no one in this industry would pass up the opportunity to be solvent, especially if the money comes down to make a project that leaves them with a lot of leeway to do their own thing.

Problem is Telltale hasn't really done their own thing before and probably won't in the future. They work with nothing but existing properties. It was cool when those properties were old LucasArts games that hadn't seen the light of day in a long time, but now... I dunno, man. Seems like they're already struggling with quality control on a lot of recent stuff and I doubt announcing new series after new series is gonna help too much.

Fuwano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, this should take care of TellTale executives' retirement funds.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#38  Edited By FinalDasa

@bargainben: By void I meant the game is a blank slate to a lot of players. It isn't a linear story and the player can build and do what they want within the world. The player creates their own goal and story. And Telltale taking advantage of that and selling their own story, in my opinion, is a good idea.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neat. I'm excited about this for entirely different reasons than I was for anything else they got their hands on. I really want to see where they can go with this, and how will affect the real Minecraft's 'canon.'

I like Telltale simply because they are doing something I wish companies were doing before: taking different properties and applying a specific genre to it. Even if it doesn't make sense at first.

AroNoah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You see a sheep. What do you do?

1. Pet the sheep
    2. Taunt the sheep
    3. Shear the sheep
    4. Kill the sheep with your bare hands

Okay... I'll go with 3.

The sheep will remember that.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Budwyzer

I didn't think the time when everyone quit playing Tell Tale games would show up again so soon. But fuck me, the proved me wrong! Yeah you did, didn't you Tell Tale... you proved me wrong. D:

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While this will make a whole load of cash and the idea of a Telltale game for kids is very appealing, I still have zero idea why Minecraft is such a valuable IP. My niece is bonkers for it, but I just don't get it. I love Lego, but Minecraft just doesn't have the same lovely tactile feeling that those little Danish bricks do.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bacongames said:

@zorak said:

Problem is Telltale hasn't really done their own thing before and probably won't in the future. They work with nothing but existing properties. It was cool when those properties were old LucasArts games that hadn't seen the light of day in a long time, but now... I dunno, man. Seems like they're already struggling with quality control on a lot of recent stuff and I doubt announcing new series after new series is gonna help too much.

I don't necessarily mean in terms of licensing and IP but how much publisher oversight is built into the project. And my original point is that devs often make the sacrifice to work within a publisher's constraints if it means they can continue to operate, pay people, and not have to live from project to project.

I don't see where this quality control stuff is coming from because I don't know if you've played older Telltale games but it's not like they've been churning out games that get 9s and 10s since 2006. A lot of their games are some of my favorites and I continue to be a huge fan but reviews for their games going back to the start of the company average somewhere in the upper 7s and 8s and the stuff that's coming out now is pretty much in that range. To me, Jurassic Park is veering off course and their response showed they're plenty capable of course correction.

Linkachu95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Linkachu95

I don't unserstand this at all. Why would anyone buy a game that is completely unrelated to the original game they fell in love with just because it has the same name attached? On an unrelated note, I just bought Pokemon Art Academy while I wait for that Pokemon fighting game to come out.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

This is like a parody of video games, right?

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Nardak

Okay this is one telltale game series which I probably wont buy. Is there even a such a thing as lore in Minecraft?

Though probably a good business move on Telltales part. Minecraft players will be interested in this.

Though I am starting to get worried that Telltale is taking on too many projects and the quality of its episodes will start to suffer as a result.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By Brendan

I don't mind this at all. People seem to think there's one correct way to be a game studio, and that's to only release original intellectual property. I don't see why there isn't room for a studio that is great at what it does to use existing properties to tell great stories that they want to tell. I understand some are concerned with how prolific they are and whether that will affect quality but honestly I haven't seen them shitting the bed yet. They've always been a little hit or miss even before they grew and between the first season of the Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us and Borderlands they've had a strong track record.

Zeeman155

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is just silly. Why Mine craft? Telltale seems like the company that's just jumping at any opportunity to prove that they can use there style on any game/franchise/whatever. So far they've proven themselves right, but it just makes me feel like their next misstep will inevitably be around the corner. I don't know why they're trying to prove anything, I'd rather see them place their resources in one stack in a project that contains elements in what they know best and just do that really really well. I no longer know what Telltale is anymore. What's next Telltale's EVE Online?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.