UpdateDue to significant demand, we're setting up an automated system to handle turns. We need a little extra time to get it up and running, so Chain World has been delayed to Sunday, April 3.
IntroductionRecently, I read about a concept by Jason Rohrer. He created an interesting Minecraft meta-game called Chain World. You can read about it in detail here, but here's the paraphrased gist of it:
- You receive a USB stick with a Minecraft world on it.
- You play this world until you die exactly once. You may not place signs with text on them.
- As soon as you die, you must save the world back to the USB stick, and never play again.
- Pass the USB stick to someone else
- Never discuss what you saw or did in Chain World
Sadly, as you can imagine, it's pretty hard to get into this Chain World. So, I've decided to create my own, and invite you all to take part in it.
How it worksOf course, this version of Chain World will work a little differently. Here are the rules:
- Enter here. And post here saying you'd like to participate. We'll be using private messages to send the world to each other. If there are too many entries, I will randomly select a manageable number. Entries close Saturday, March 26 at noon central daylight time.
- When it is your turn, you'll receive a PM containing a link to the most recent Chain World save file.
- Respond acknowledging your turn within 24 hours or your turn may be skipped.
- Install and play the world. When you die exactly once, exit the game
- Do not place any text signs in the world.
- If you haven't died before your turn is over, kill yourself.
- You have 48 hours from the start of your turn to send your save file to the next person, or they will take your turn.
- Do not discuss or record what you saw or did in Chain World.
- At the end, I will release the final save for someone to write about or otherwise document.
So, if you're interested, please feel free to enter. If this goes well, I might organize more of these or make a web site to automate them. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or comments. Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy Chain World!