A Giant Bomb Community Minecraft Project: Chain World

• 53 results
#1 Edited by harris (848 posts) -

Update

Due to significant demand, we're setting up an automated system to handle turns. We need a little extra time to get it up and running, so Chain World has been delayed to Sunday, April 3.

Introduction

Recently, I read about a concept by Jason Rohrer. He created an interesting Minecraft meta-game called Chain World. You can read about it in detail here, but here's the paraphrased gist of it: 
  • You receive a USB stick with a Minecraft world on it.
  • You play this world until you die exactly once. You may not place signs with text on them.
  • As soon as you die, you must save the world back to the USB stick, and never play again.
  • Pass the USB stick to someone else
  • Never discuss what you saw or did in Chain World
I'm fascinated by this concept. It gives the player a purpose, almost like a religion. You have the opportunity to explore the relics of previous players, and the knowledge that what you do will have an effect on others after you die. 

Sadly, as you can imagine, it's pretty hard to get into this Chain World. So, I've decided to create my own, and invite you all to take part in it.

How it works

Of course, this version of Chain World will work a little differently. Here are the rules: 
  1. Enter here. And post here saying you'd like to participate. We'll be using private messages to send the world to each other. If there are too many entries, I will randomly select a manageable number. Entries close Saturday, March 26 at noon central daylight time.
  2. When it is your turn, you'll receive a PM containing a link to the most recent Chain World save file.
  3. Respond acknowledging your turn within 24 hours or your turn may be skipped.
  4. Install and play the world. When you die exactly once, exit the game
  5. Do not place any text signs in the world.
  6. If you haven't died before your turn is over, kill yourself. 
  7. You have 48 hours from the start of your turn to send your save file to the next person, or they will take your turn.
  8. Do not discuss or record what you saw or did in Chain World.
  9. At the end, I will release the final save for someone to write about or otherwise document.

So, if you're interested, please feel free to enter. If this goes well, I might organize more of these or make a web site to automate them. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or comments. Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy Chain World!
#2 Posted by ThatFrood (3375 posts) -

Sounds really interesting, I'd participate for sure.

#3 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Sounds interesting.

#4 Posted by random_guy23 (256 posts) -

Signed up! This will be really interesting.

#5 Posted by Brenderous (1101 posts) -

This sounds fun.

#6 Posted by FinalDasa (1761 posts) -

Sounds awesome, signed up! :D

Moderator Online
#7 Posted by cximran (52 posts) -

I'm in!

#8 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

If I had a PC right now I'd join in, good idea.

#9 Posted by MisterMouse (3554 posts) -

cant wait to see what comes from this.

#10 Posted by Nytrik (153 posts) -

That sounds fantastic.

#11 Posted by TheAdmin (713 posts) -

For rule number 6, do we only get a certain number of hours to play the game and then must die?

#12 Posted by Weltal (2273 posts) -

Sure. I'll participate.

#13 Posted by harris (848 posts) -
@99X: Yeah, sadly with the volume of people we'll have in the line, it would be unmanageable to let people go as long as they'd like. I may adjust it or split things up into multiple chains.
#14 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

Joined up! Seems like a great idea.

#15 Posted by Poki3 (527 posts) -

Registered. See you on the other side.

...should there be a rule dictating the difficulty level? Hard to die on piecefull.

#16 Posted by ComradeKritstov (693 posts) -

What about beds (for moving the spawn point)?

#17 Posted by darkdragonmage99 (741 posts) -

I don't think I could do anything meaning full in 48 hours

#18 Posted by harris (848 posts) -
@Poki3: @ComradeKritstov: Anything not listed in the rules is up to the player.
#19 Posted by Jatsu (43 posts) -

This should be a fantastic community project, thankyou for doing this!

When I first read about this year's Game Design Challenge, I was fascinated by the concept of Chain World, but lamented that there was no way that I could participate.

Great idea man.

#20 Edited by reddin (418 posts) -

I was intrigued when I first read about it a couple of days ago, but the rules forbidding you to place signs or talk about it kill the idea for me.
Luckily, Jason Rohrer in an interview that ran on RPS just now encourages people to break the rules, so I might sign up anyway :P

#21 Posted by weegieanawrench (1940 posts) -

Signed up! Great idea.

#22 Posted by harris (848 posts) -

Thanks for all the positive feedback and signups so far! This should be pretty awesome :)

#23 Posted by Brackynews (4083 posts) -

/signed
Perfect timing for a marathon session in the coming weeks. *essay seppuku*

#24 Posted by Shaneman (78 posts) -

I read about this a few days ago, and the idea sounds amazing. 

I was worried I wasn't going to be able to use it at all, but this rocks too!

#25 Posted by Mikular (162 posts) -

I've signed up, I am very much in. 

#26 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

I read about this a week or so ago and thought it was a brilliant idea. 
So I signed up. :D

#27 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

I'm in.

#28 Posted by ratzombie (170 posts) -

Sounds interesting, I'm in.

#29 Posted by fflyash (139 posts) -

Signed up. This could be fun.

#30 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

Looks awesome! Will try that out.

#31 Posted by MythDarK (549 posts) -

I'm in for sure. This is gonna be so fucking awesome. What will happen when everyone played their round? Or are you just gonna add more over time and see how far it goes?

#32 Posted by Gnubberen (771 posts) -

Sounds crazy.. signed up.

#33 Edited by M_33 (527 posts) -

This sounds pretty awesome. Definitely signed up.

#34 Edited by blackCan (34 posts) -

I´ll enter. Already got an idea what to do with the world. 

@harris: Also, I would urge you to include the rule not to copy the chainworld. Once your turn is over, the save you have sent  to the next person should be the only chainworld in existence.

#35 Posted by blackCan (34 posts) -

Ok, guys: Some people (@reddin) already voiced their intent to break the rules and place signs in the world. IMHO that is a form of griefing and would destroy the fun of chainworld for me. (It´s extremly difficult not to read a sign, and once you´ve read it, it is impossible no to react to it). 

Therefore I´ve made a very small texture mod, to prevent this from happening:  
Under  http://rapidshare.com/files/453355292/chain.zip , you´ll find the original minecraft textures, with the sign-texture replaced by solid black. 

Have fun in the chain world

#36 Posted by Crocio (542 posts) -

It's actually a somewhat old idea that's been used for other video games but it's still quite interesting. signed up.

#37 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

this sounds like lots of fun, finding some random fortress or building your own for the next guy to find!

#38 Posted by Ezlo (49 posts) -

Count me in! I love this idea.

#39 Posted by harris (848 posts) -
@blackCan: Cool, great idea!
#40 Posted by swamplord666 (1760 posts) -

i'll play :) can we do a screen cap every 10 ppl or something like that?

#41 Posted by harris (848 posts) -
@swamplord666:  I can't stop anyone from trying, but I feel that some of the mystic of chain world would be taken away if we did that.
#42 Posted by Shademonger (147 posts) -

You know that I am all about this. I'm looking forward to seeing what you folks got, and will certainly do my best to keep things spicy.

#43 Posted by Renachan (137 posts) -

Just signed up, this sounds like a great idea and can't wait for my turn :)

#44 Posted by harris (848 posts) -

Due to significant demand, we're setting up an automated system to handle turns. We need a little extra time to get it up and running, so Chain World has been delayed to Sunday, April 3.

#45 Posted by Poki3 (527 posts) -

With the release of 1.4 and beds that change your spawn point, any rules about that? If you destroy the bed, then the spawn point resets to the default one, but that would mean people would have to destroy (and replace if the want) the bed and die again...

#46 Posted by Savv (75 posts) -

I'm really interested in this. Signed up :D

#47 Posted by GamerDub (16 posts) -
@harris: Are you thinking what I'm thinking? World domination. What if you never die, then chain world would be stuck in limbo forever. ahahaha
#48 Posted by HotSauceMagik (264 posts) -

Boatmurdered?

I'm not gonna get in line because I'll probably forget about it by the time It gets to be my turn,  But I think the progress should be documented and told as a story while its happening.  Would be more fun for everyone else on the site who can read your exploits in the Chain World.

#49 Posted by harris (848 posts) -

Sorry for the added delay - I should have enough time to get things going by the end of the weekend. Hang in there!

#50 Posted by Thompson820 (410 posts) -

I'm in! This should be fascinating.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.