Adventuring with finesse and style. Also Lava.

#1 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -

Greetings once again friends. I apologise for the lack of updates regarding my weird fort, I'll get onto it again soon (explained below).

So hey everyone. It's the prime directive of a Minecrafter to...mine. Much like Dwarf Fortress, I've always found the most exciting parts of Minecraft (Henceforth referred to as MC for convenience) to be going out and making my own stories. There's a sense of purely emergent gameplay that I find I can expressly discover and create when I play MC. So over the past week or so, I've sporadically been off on explorations. Not venturing too far from my safehouse, I finally decided today to go "Fuck it, I'm going to go North". Following is the explots of what happened. First of all, I had to find my sense of direction. Heading north is the easy part, knowing that clouds will always go in that direction. It was in this rote task that I encountered my first big hurdle. The vast ocean that was before me. Naturally, inginuity struck.

Wayward ho, bitches!
After much faffing around trying to find a legitimate mountain or cave to really go deep into, I thought I'd never find anything appropriate for my needs. I found several very small caves, but they just weren't...going anywhere. Splatters of coal here, mushrooms there, it wasn't until I stumbled across this perfect area (Which I found from punching a sheep to death, their noise is infuriatingly repetitive). I give you, my dream mine.

To the untrained eye, it might not LOOK like much, but let me tell you. What I found in this cave was more than just resources/water/lava. It was an incredibly refreshing gaming experience that I haven't had in quite some time. The sheer joy of exploring for what seemed like hours on end (In actual fact, it was) was made much more rewarding when I finally found this area. It seemed like the perfect little area. Almost too perfect.

The further I pushed in, the more precious resources I found. Pessimistic and naturally encountering bad luck in these kind of situations, I expected nothing more than steel (or Iron, whatever you want to call it) and maybe...well, I didn't know what else I was really anticipating.

Steel next to lava. A bad situation in the making.

The further I got down, the more of what I can only describe as a visceral thrill swept over me. It seemed to go on forever. Coupled with the seeminly endless torches I brought with me, I felt like I could just keep on going forever. In a way, I suppose I did. However, what I found next, I could only have dreamed of. The glimmer of Mossy Cobblestone? Endless waves of spiders? Dramatic sound effect cues indiacting I was onto something? I finally found what I'd only heard about in MC threads of legend.

To the untrained eye, and to myself when I found it, this might not look like much. It might even look like a weird block. But what I found was much more than I could have guessed. This is what is called a "Spawner" in which the enemy inside (A spider, on fire...) will come out once every 15-20 seconds. Why would I pursue this? Because in this small, 7x7ish room were magical treasure chests, spawned by the world. These had the capacity to drop some of the rarest items in game, some which aren't obtainable ANY other way. It took me about 5/10 minutes, clearing a way to this that wouldn't leave me overran. I didn't have time to screenshot any of this, it was too hectic. But suffice to say I left the dungeon with 3 saddles (Now I can ride pigs, yeehaw), 4 buckets (The end of the post will explain this in greater detail) and several pieces of wheat. Meh, wheat. Can't win them all.

After much more spelunking, I found what I didn't expect at all. My very first PRECIOUS mineral.

GOLD!

My first gold block. I'm a real miner!

I ended up as I was mining fighting several other enemies. Skeletons, Zombies, and the infamous Hisser. However, after I had mined extensively, I was...losing steam. There wasn't anything in visible sight. I think I finally ended this quarry, and decided to make my way out. Then, I found a hisser, who exploded on me. However, it was from this, that I found something quite special.

It was from this, that he created a deep cavern from me, which I didn't expect. However, I set up the appropriate measures, so I could not only find my way out, but...to look fancy.

Further and further I went. I fought a hard fight with a skeleton man.

Arrows a plenty. I grabbed them.

However, the further I got...the more of a sense of dread overcame me. I had such a haul so far, I was kind of...scared. I had so much on me. Gold/Saddles/Steel/ Buckets filled with Lava. I anticipated something awful to happen. After quite some time, it did. I got deeper and deeper, and had to finally dam off the water. There was too much, and it was becoming increasingly tough to navigate. Water slows you down, so I had to block it off.

However...

The overwhelming stres and panic statred to get the better of me. I knew if I mined too deep, that if I got too greedy...I'd end myself. This was a turning point for me, as the player. To consider that I'd been spelunking in this mine for what ended up being 4 hours, the sense of immersion was unparalleled. Becoming a part of the world, effecting it in such a strong way, with immediate results was something I haven't felt in a long time. After I cleaned up my work, I decided that...it was time to leave this.

This wonderful wonderful pit that was to become my tomb. After much hardship, I found my way out. I gave it a fitting end.

However, this wasn't the end of my quest. It was about this time that I wondered to myself...where was I? After such a long time in the cave, I realised I was in the middle of nowhere. I had to pull up good old Cartograph ( The player made map program which allows you to...kind of find your way to where you're going. Knowing that I had SOMEHOW gone to the western most point I had gone to so far, I realised I wasn't in Kansas any more. After a lot of exploration, I saw a familiar sight. Knowing that the clouds go north was one indication of my location, and that the sun rises in the east, helped me finally find my way.

Dual waterfalls? Weird towers? I was home!

My haul was ready to be deposited in my chest.

Gold, feathers, wheat, bookshelves, books, papyrus and lava buckets were some of the things I had found. It was lovely.

After this, I figured I'd make my fort somewhat more obnoxious by replacing my waterfalls.

With lava waterfalls!!

After this, I decided that I had done enough for one day. My fortress was going places. I hadn't actually...DONE ANYTHING to it, but i'd sure as hell got a lot more materials in which to do so. Tune in next time to see what I do to this.

Lava has much weirder propogation that water...

I hope that this little...journal entry has been enjoyable. For me as a player, it was simply...astonishing. The parallel of completion with...sincerely immersive gameplay was something that is somewhat absent in modern gameplay. In the common design of gameplay as is associated with more contemporary games, there isn't really much room for...systems, I suppose is the appropriate word. This isn't so much of a game, as a toolset used to create your own narrative. Much like Farcry 2, its what I'd consider a very strong game in the sense of complete emegent gameplay, the ability to just dump the player in a world, and let them create their own little stories.

And it was refreshing. I suppose today, In that cave, I found my paradise. Have you?

Worlds end.
#2 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

Reading these stories and seeing the pictures makes me want to play this. Great writeup.

#3 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -

Oh also, it's currently still at around ..8 euroes, but it's coming out of Alpha soon and finally into Beta, when the price will go up a little bit to enable multiplayer. Catch it now before the price goes up!

CATCH ITTTTTTTTT

#4 Posted by Hermie (42 posts) -

Nicely written, I love gameplay anecdotes like this. 

(Also enjoyed the special appearance of [Thumbs] Patters.)

#5 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -
@Hermie said:
" Nicely written, I love gameplay anecdotes like this.  (Also enjoyed the special appearance of [Thumbs] Patters.) "
Special guest! Also I couldn't cut it out without losing too much of the image. SHUT UP >:(
#6 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12110 posts) -

Is it wrong that I still have no idea what the hell minecraft is, even after reading this anecdote? Apparently it's pretty good?

#7 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

Great write up. I wish I could have the same experience with this game.

#8 Posted by Mikemcn (7018 posts) -

Love this game! LOVE IT! I could be playing bad company 2 but instead, i play Minecraft.

#9 Posted by ComradeKritstov (693 posts) -
@Scooper said:
" Reading these stories and seeing the pictures makes me want to play this. Great writeup. "
Same here, I've played a bit of the classic version and I can't say I'm a huge fan of just having a bunch of different blocks and building stuff. But the alpha sounds amazing with the exploration, mining, and crafting and stuff. Really considering getting it now, especially with the multiplayer on the way.
#10 Posted by Mmmslash (2170 posts) -

I wish MInecraft ran on my netbook. I used to play it for hours and hours on my desktop.

#11 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater said:
" Is it wrong that I still have no idea what the hell minecraft is, even after reading this anecdote? Apparently it's pretty good? "
It's just an open world sandbox game with an emphasis on block based building/mining/exploring/fighting. Hard to really explain it without just letting someone sit down with it, I'm afraid.

@ComradeKritstov said:
" @Scooper said:
" Reading these stories and seeing the pictures makes me want to play this. Great writeup. "
Same here, I've played a bit of the classic version and I can't say I'm a huge fan of just having a bunch of different blocks and building stuff. But the alpha sounds amazing with the exploration, mining, and crafting and stuff. Really considering getting it now, especially with the multiplayer on the way. "

You can't really go wrong with it. I know what you mean about creative mode. There's nothing really to it. What makes infdev brilliant is just the sheer breadth of...things to do. Wanna fight baddys? Go find them! Wanna hunt for weird dungeons? Go find them! Wanna see some bizarre procedurally generated cloud citys? It's out there! I'd buy it sooner rather than later, just because it's going up in price soon :D
#12 Posted by empfeix (774 posts) -

love your stories!

#13 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -

Awesome narrative as ever - always really fun to read. 

I found a crazy cave right under my fortress as I was mining for iron - it seemed to go on forever... at one end there was a huge sinkhole with a lava pit at the bottom, which I stupidly decided to jump in. It took me about 4 hours of climbing back up and going around in circles before I figured out how to get back to land. I now take a bunch of one block that stands out, like sand, with me whenever I mine, and create a breadcrumb trail as I go deeper - I find I end up putting too many torches and they tend not to help.  

For anyone even slightly interested in the concept of this game, go buy it, the free version is nowhere near as complete and fun as the paid version - it's also damn cheap at the moment, but likely to go up in price once it hits beta (soonish). Plus, multiplayer is coming out this week.

#14 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -
@TheBeast said:
" Awesome narrative as ever - always really fun to read. 

I found a crazy cave right under my fortress as I was mining for iron - it seemed to go on forever... at one end there was a huge sinkhole with a lava pit at the bottom, which I stupidly decided to jump in. It took me about 4 hours of climbing back up and going around in circles before I figured out how to get back to land. I now take a bunch of one block that stands out, like sand, with me whenever I mine, and create a breadcrumb trail as I go deeper - I find I end up putting too many torches and they tend not to help.  

For anyone even slightly interested in the concept of this game, go buy it, the free version is nowhere near as complete and fun as the paid version - it's also damn cheap at the moment, but likely to go up in price once it hits beta (soonish). Plus, multiplayer is coming out this week. "
I find that when you're in a pickle, as much as I don't advise digging straight up or down (Gravel and lava respectively), I find you can just dig vertically up to get out of a place, using any expendable material (Usually stone) as a stepping stone as you go directly up. Sloppy, but it works.
#15 Posted by TwoLines (2841 posts) -

Argh.
You made me want to buy this game.

Anyway, great read.
Best of luck with your future explorations!

#16 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8606 posts) -

You sold me on the game, awesome story!

#17 Posted by beef_melody (295 posts) -

Is this game subscription or a one off payment?  It looks cool, nice setup you have going :-)

#18 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -
@beef_melody: A one off payment, with free updates. 
@Fallen189: Yeah, that might have been the wiser choice, although I didn't realise I was lost until about an hour in to trying to find my way back...
#19 Posted by onarum (2295 posts) -

I'm a little late on this, but yesterday I was listening to a video mailbag from tested, and at the end will mentions Minecraft, an I was like "hey what is that?", 5 minutes later I had bought the damn thing, and I don't regret it one bit, fantastic little game it is. 

you get a real sense of accomplishment when you are mining like crazy and suddenly you find a iron ore vein, also building your underground hideouts is very fun.

Also believe it or not it can be pretty scary.

And actually the same thing happened to me just today, suddenly came across this huge cave with lots of ores, lava and water, I Spammed the whole place with torches to prevent monsters re-spawning there heh, and man exploring those things is great, you reach the end of a "corridor" and think "well that's it" then you look a little bit more to the left and hey, whats that, a hole taking you to whole other set of caves.

And it's in alpha still, this will be amazing when it's complete, I'm almost considering to stop playing now and wait for it to be more feature rich, so I won't spoil the fun, but considering every new map is completely procedurally generated I guess that won't be a problem.

Seriously everyone should check this out, and it's actually a good Idea to get it now since you'll be paying 50% off, which is only 10 euros ( roughly 13 dollars), and you'll be entitled to the final version and any expansion he releases, and honestly even if the guy just say "eff this" and stop development like tomorrow, I still think it's worth it

#20 Posted by SuicidalSnowman (396 posts) -

I might be a little late to the party, but wonderful write up.  I think you captured the spirit of why many of us play this game.

#21 Posted by tankintheair315 (351 posts) -

I found a cave like you did, was battling a skelton when i fell in a hole with two hissers and died. So annoying. But so much fun

#22 Posted by devosion (112 posts) -

Awesome story you have there! :)  

I had a similar one in which I found a very large and very deep cavern not very far from my main home, proceeded to build a storage house directly over the pit, then descended for several hours excavating tons of coal, steel, and gold. Everything was going very well until I stumbled upon an enemy spawner. Naively thought I was in the clear when I killed everything, only to be ambushed from behind by a creeper. Things got worse when the monster spawner made a spider. I finally made it out, and sealed the passage I went through, only to stumble into a small lava vein that killed me and destroyed all my goods upon my death. After fuming over the loss over so much precious items I went back in again. I managed to find a large waterfall that descended from the ocean to the deepest point of the cavern, and I managed to accumulate another hoard of wealth. Moments later I destroyed one wrong stone block and gravel spewed all over me nearly suffocating me. In my confusion I fell off the cliff of the waterfall and died of suffocation before I hit the bottom. Needless to say I never recovered those goods either. Only a small problem though cause my fortress on the water is well under way. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.