Any tips for finding coal?

#1 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I have recently got way in to Minecraft but I really struggling to find coal, I have started again and again lots of times in hopes of finding coal, but no luck. Is there any tips for finding coal or is there another way to make light?

#2 Posted by Krushr (54 posts) -

Find a forest and set it on fire?

Coal seems pretty common in the game, I'd just start digging through something and you're likely to find some at some point.

#3 Posted by B0nd07 (1674 posts) -

Coal can be found just about anywhere; sometimes it's right out in the open, other times you'll have to do some digging. If you absolutely need torches, but can't find any coal, and if you have a furnace, you can use wood planks to "cook" some logs to make charcoal, which I think works just like regular coal. I think you need one plank per log that you want to cook. Planks aren't very efficient fuel.

#4 Posted by TheBootlegSaint (26 posts) -

I usually find it in mountains. Just look on the outside of the mountains and your bound to find some.

#5 Posted by Subjugation (4694 posts) -

Coal is great and all, but the smart man migrates over to charcoal as soon as possible. Trees are a renewable resource, and by extension so is charcoal. If you get a good tree farm going and cook the raw logs in a furnace you will very quickly end up with more charcoal than the wood you are consuming. 1 coal/charcoal can cook 8 logs resulting in 8 charcoal. Rinse and repeat the process until you have the fuel coming out of your ears.

#6 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2446 posts) -

I just trust in my senses.

#7 Posted by Vexxan (4600 posts) -

The mountains are great. If it's not visible on the outside it's only a few blocks away on the inside.

#8 Posted by Synthballs (2193 posts) -

It's EVERYWHERE MAN!

#9 Posted by Three0neFive (2275 posts) -
@weeman105 said:

Coal is great and all, but the smart man migrates over to charcoal as soon as possible. Trees are a renewable resource, and by extension so is charcoal. If you get a good tree farm going and cook the raw logs in a furnace you will very quickly end up with more charcoal than the wood you are consuming. 1 coal/charcoal can cook 8 logs resulting in 8 charcoal. Rinse and repeat the process until you have the fuel coming out of your ears.

I have played this game for almost a hundred hours and did not know this.

I feel like I've failed both as a gamer and a person.
#10 Posted by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

Be a bad boy; Santa will bring you some. 

#11 Posted by Devil240Z (3054 posts) -

Yeah just open your eyes. Coal is everywhere.

#12 Posted by iTreefish (62 posts) -

I've heard rumors that digging down from where you initially spawn generally yields coal. Never tested myself however...

#13 Posted by clstirens (846 posts) -
@Hizang: You can actually make charcoal once you have a furnace. Once you have a furnace "cook" logs (not wood, logs) and it will give you charcoal. It's an easily renewable source of torches.
#14 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I downloaded the Moar Ore mod, so I could stock up before the update. You hit an coal ore block and receive 4-6. Coal isn't hard to find, but I'm lazy.

#15 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Dig.

#16 Posted by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -
@weeman105 said:

Egh.  Wood is needed for lots of other things, though, which means you have to spend more time planting and chopping down trees if you're going to frequently use up your wood on charcoal.  More than that, coal is plentiful enough in your travels that there shouldn't ever be a need to switch over to charcoal. 

I would argue more that charcoal is good for the early game as a backup resource for making torches in case you haven't been able to find much coal yet.  After that, I see no reason to not just use coal because you'll find it all over the place underground.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.