Anyone know how to use the new minecraft texture option?

#1 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Anyone know what format files need to be to go into the texture pack file? I can not figure it out. 

#2 Posted by wormz (140 posts) -

Took me a while to get working too, but you gotta have the "skin" folder zipped in the mod folder.  You can't have the subfolder "skin/" and then stuff in the zip like Painterly does. So go in the skin folder, zip everything and put that in the mod folder. I hope you get it, I'm not a native englisher and supertired :(

#3 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@wormz said:

" Took me a while to get working too, but you gotta have the "skin" folder zipped in the mod folder.  You can't have the subfolder "skin/" and then stuff in the zip like Painterly does. So go in the skin folder, zip everything and put that in the mod folder. I hope you get it, I'm not a native englisher and supertired :( "

So under "texturepacks" what do I put? Do I just make a zip of the pack?  

Like I wanna use  http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25676
#4 Posted by wormz (140 posts) -

Unrar the .rar, zip them files and put that .zip in texturepacks folder.

#5 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@wormz said:

" Unrar the .rar, zip them files and put that .zip in texturepacks folder. "

I am now trying to use painterlys. How do I go about doin that/ 
#6 Posted by Mmmslash (2168 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @wormz said:
I am also sleepy. How do you unrar the .rar and then zip them?   I did not sleep at all last night.  "
Use winrar to unrar it.

Go into the folder created after they have been unrar'd.

Select all of those files, right click, and choose add to archive.

Make the archive in .Zip format.
#7 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Mmmslash said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @wormz said:
I am also sleepy. How do you unrar the .rar and then zip them?   I did not sleep at all last night.  "
Use winrar to unrar it.  Go into the folder created after they have been unrar'd.  Select all of those files, right click, and choose add to archive.  Make the archive in .Zip format. "
Thank you. Now i gotta go get winrar. 
#8 Posted by Mmmslash (2168 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:  You've never had to use Winrar before? It's kind of that status quo for archive files, and was how you installed texture packs, pre-v1.2.2
#9 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Mmmslash said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:  You've never had to use Winrar before? It's kind of that status quo for archive files, and was how you installed texture packs, pre-v1.2.2 "
It is not reading the new .zip i made. It shows the texture pack as grey. 
#10 Edited by iTreefish (62 posts) -
#11 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" It is not reading the new .zip i made. It shows the texture pack as grey.  "
What happens if you try to select and use it? It's grey because it doesn't have an image to represent it there, which is to be expected since such an image was never needed before. It should work fine without it though.
#12 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -
  1. Extract the texture pack you want to use.
  2. Highlight everything that was extracted (You know, right click and drag to highligh all the folders/png files)
  3. right click on one of the highlighted folders go to 7zip and add to .zip
  4. put it in the texture pack folder

The main problem I had was that (like in the above post) all the files were in painterly pack.zip/painterly pack/allthefileshere. It needs to be painterly pack.zip/allthefileshere. 

And may I suggest using 7zip as you archiver? You can make and extract anything and it's open source.
#13 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@jams said:
" And may I suggest using 7zip as you archiver? You can make and extract anything and it's open source. "
I was going to suggest 7-Zip too, but then I realized that people here probably don't care about that. :/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.