Best mods?

#1 Posted by t1mpl4r (11 posts) -

I've been playing minecraft for a few weeks, and i lost my mine i was having a lot of fun with. I was really disheartened that I had to start over again and i though it would be a great time to try some mods. Any suggestions? 

#2 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -
@t1mpl4r: I haven't modded the game myself - I don't believe there's any 'official' support for single player mods at the moment (this is coming eventually) so I wouldn't be too sure about the quality or reliability of most mods either. There are quite a few popular alternative texture packs like the Painterly Pack which you might want to try.
#3 Posted by Mmmslash (2167 posts) -

There are a ton of game skins, that I really enjoy, but other than that, nothing I know of.

#4 Posted by Vager (1653 posts) -
#5 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@TheBeast
@t1mpl4r: I haven't modded the game myself - I don't believe there's any 'official' support for single player mods at the moment (this is coming eventually) so I wouldn't be too sure about the quality or reliability of most mods either. There are quite a few popular alternative texture packs like the Painterly Pack which you might want to try.
I love you for this.
#6 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Are there any mods that add furniture? My house is really empty.

#7 Posted by Rehehelly (414 posts) -

No the game isn't modded like that.

Make furniture out of blocks, for example a chair is a block of wood with two signs on the sides (nothing written on the signs). 

A bed is whatever with a halfblock at the top for a pillow etc etc

#8 Posted by Raymayne (1226 posts) -

THERE ARE NO MODS. THIS IS NOT MODCRAFT.

#9 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@Raymayne said:
" THERE ARE NO MODS. THIS IS NOT MODCRAFT. "

#10 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Any other useful ones?  

Also. How do I apply texture packages? I do not have anything aside from the .exe file. 

#11 Posted by Vager (1653 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man:  

Go too  C:\Users\"YOURACCOUNT"\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin 
AppData is a hidden folder. Make sure you set Windows to view hidden folders. 

Open minecraft.jar using Winrar or something similar. 
Drag and drop the texture files into the opened jar file. 

Done.    
#12 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: 
The folder is stored locally */AppData/roaming/.minecraft/bin/  Open minecraft.jar with WinRAR, back it up and simply replace the files you're modding

The RPG mod Vager posted is my favorite.. Although any mods that have re-sized textures currently have an issue with creating gold and diamond blocks
#13 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@cide said:
" @The_Laughing_Man:  The folder is stored locally */AppData/roaming/.minecraft/bin/  Open minecraft.jar with WinRAR, back it up and simply replace the files you're modding  The RPG mod Vager posted is my favorite.. Although any mods that have re-sized textures currently have an issue with creating gold and diamond blocks "
What are the textures for snow? I live in a winter freaking wonderland. 
#14 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: 
Thats a little more complicated. I haven't done it myself, but you would either need to start a new game or use editors to make the changes.

You would need NBTEdit to change snowcovered to "0" and MCedit to change ice into water and snow into air.
#15 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@cide said:
" @The_Laughing_Man:  Thats a little more complicated. I haven't done it myself, but you would either need to start a new game or use editors to make the changes.  You would need NBTEdit to change snowcovered to "0" and MCedit to change ice into water and snow into air. "
I mean have you seen the new textures for the snow? 
#16 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Vager said:

" @The_Laughing_Man:   Go too  C:\Users\"YOURACCOUNT"\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin AppData is a hidden folder. Make sure you set Windows to view hidden folders.  Open minecraft.jar using Winrar or something similar. Drag and drop the texture files into the opened jar file.  Done.     "

Which jar file is it? the 877kb one?  

I am getting lots of errors. 
#17 Edited by ao6238 (3 posts) -
#18 Edited by wormz (140 posts) -
#19 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Notch should consider moving this mod to MP survival. That ogre (seen at 6:11) is nuts! Would rofl hard watching friends run to their houses for shelter, only to have it being smashed to pieces as he chases after.
#20 Posted by ao6238 (3 posts) -
#21 Posted by ao6238 (3 posts) -
#22 Posted by Fattony12000 (7250 posts) -
This + this = HOLY FUCK

Although it's done with some simple shader reconfiguring, the effect is absolutely crazy! I wonder if something like this could be done server-side and therefore effect everyone playing at the same time.

#23 Posted by Fattony12000 (7250 posts) -
#24 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlMUR7637Og

The YogBox compiled by the fine folks at YogCast is pretty damn sweet, and easy to install.

#25 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
#26 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

@CL60: apparently he just got back from a 2 week vacation to Italy.

#27 Posted by DEMONOLOGY_24 (521 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.