Build Minecraft Worlds on Your iPhone, iPad Tomorrow

Avatar image for patrickklepek
Posted by patrickklepek (6436 posts) -
Pig. ...Pig. Pig. Pig? Pig.
Pig. ...Pig. Pig. Pig? Pig.

There haven’t been many reasons to continue paying attention to Sony’s button-laden Xperia Play, but getting the first mobile version of Minecraft was a legitimately interesting grab for them.

The plan was to have Minecraft: Pocket Edition come to iOS eventually, and it’s happening tomorrow, after having been made available to other Android devices last month.

Interestingly, the iOS version’s multiplayer is designed so they can play with Android users, too, according to Minecraft developer Jens Bergensten on Twitter.

The launch is not coincidental, either. MineCon kicks off in Las Vegas later this week, which is also a celebration of Minecraft finally “going gold” and achieving version 1.0 status.

Avatar image for patrickklepek
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (6436 posts) -
Pig. ...Pig. Pig. Pig? Pig.
Pig. ...Pig. Pig. Pig? Pig.

There haven’t been many reasons to continue paying attention to Sony’s button-laden Xperia Play, but getting the first mobile version of Minecraft was a legitimately interesting grab for them.

The plan was to have Minecraft: Pocket Edition come to iOS eventually, and it’s happening tomorrow, after having been made available to other Android devices last month.

Interestingly, the iOS version’s multiplayer is designed so they can play with Android users, too, according to Minecraft developer Jens Bergensten on Twitter.

The launch is not coincidental, either. MineCon kicks off in Las Vegas later this week, which is also a celebration of Minecraft finally “going gold” and achieving version 1.0 status.

Avatar image for wookiewarrior
#2 Posted by Wookiewarrior (3 posts) -

WOOT

Avatar image for composite
#3 Posted by composite (141 posts) -

All hail our bricky overlords!

Avatar image for arch4non
#4 Posted by arch4non (472 posts) -

I can't wait to see how game journalists even attempt to review Minecraft.

Avatar image for cubic
#5 Posted by Cubic (174 posts) -

Have they added enemies to it yet? Everything I've seen of the Pocket Edition looks so utterly boring, since its Minecraft without the craft bit, or the enemies bit. It's just Mine, and barely even that since you can't build pickaxes.

Avatar image for cheesimus
#6 Posted by Cheesimus (19 posts) -

Oh my, that's a wesome.

Avatar image for avangelon
#7 Posted by Avangelon (46 posts) -

What a surprise, yay!

Avatar image for thor_molecules
#8 Posted by Thor_Molecules (738 posts) -

Sounds like a neat timewaster. Bring it on, Mojang!

Avatar image for ohvee
#9 Posted by Ohvee (152 posts) -

Haha, is that a reference to Louie in the caption for the picture? Awesome.

Avatar image for ssully
#10 Edited by SSully (5105 posts) -

@Cubic said:

Have they added enemies to it yet? Everything I've seen of the Pocket Edition looks so utterly boring, since its Minecraft without the craft bit, or the enemies bit. It's just Mine, and barely even that since you can't build pickaxes.

The point of it is to just basically be for building, not for survival(which is the only reason you would craft stuff)

Avatar image for jaycee
#11 Posted by JayCee (677 posts) -

Anyone know how much the app will cost?

Avatar image for praise_the_sun
#12 Posted by Praise_the_sun (111 posts) -

@SSully said:

@Cubic said:

Have they added enemies to it yet? Everything I've seen of the Pocket Edition looks so utterly boring, since its Minecraft without the craft bit, or the enemies bit. It's just Mine, and barely even that since you can't build pickaxes.

The point of it is to just basically be for building, not for survival(which is the only reason you would craft stuff)

Wellp, looks like I won't be picking this up.

Avatar image for supersambo
#13 Posted by SuperSambo (3076 posts) -

Sold

Avatar image for tamaster92
#14 Posted by Tamaster92 (295 posts) -

It's costs 6.99

Avatar image for angeln7
#15 Posted by AngelN7 (3001 posts) -

@arch4non said:

I can't wait to see how game journalists even attempt to review Minecraft.

They won't

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
#16 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6651 posts) -

I don't understand how you play Mincraft with only touch controls.

Avatar image for anachronousone
#17 Posted by AnachronousOne (17 posts) -

I'm seeing on the North American iTunes store right now for $9.99.

Avatar image for fizi
#18 Posted by FiZi (144 posts) -

So even though I bought the Alpha PC version I have to pay for it again if I want it on iOS.

Tell you what. Make the Pocket version connect up to dedicated servers that PC players can connect to and I'll buy it.

Avatar image for evilsbane
#19 Posted by Evilsbane (5503 posts) -

@Praise_the_sun said:

@SSully said:

@Cubic said:

Have they added enemies to it yet? Everything I've seen of the Pocket Edition looks so utterly boring, since its Minecraft without the craft bit, or the enemies bit. It's just Mine, and barely even that since you can't build pickaxes.

The point of it is to just basically be for building, not for survival(which is the only reason you would craft stuff)

Wellp, looks like I won't be picking this up.

Wait..so its gutted? That sounds like horse shit.

Avatar image for a_deep_mushroom
#20 Posted by A_Deep_Mushroom (122 posts) -

So full of win this is.

Avatar image for joeltgm
#21 Posted by JoelTGM (5784 posts) -

wait there are no enemies or any of that? that sounds boring.

Avatar image for deathtrap
#22 Posted by DeathTrap (372 posts) -

So for close to the same price I paid for the full version, I can get a version that's not as fun? Eh...no thanks...Maybe if they add enemies, just like the PC version.

Avatar image for applekid
#23 Posted by Applekid (72 posts) -

@FiZi said:

So even though I bought the Alpha PC version I have to pay for it again if I want it on iOS. Tell you what. Make the Pocket version connect up to dedicated servers that PC players can connect to and I'll buy it.

Pretty much this. Notch lied and people cried.

Avatar image for fizi
#24 Posted by FiZi (144 posts) -

@Applekid I don't know if I'd go that far. Did he really lie?

Avatar image for brackynews
#25 Posted by Brackynews (4385 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

I don't understand how you play Mincraft with only touch controls.

You have to tap obsidian blocks 50 times. Chop chop.

Avatar image for scarabus
#26 Edited by Scarabus (501 posts) -

FYI: It's Minecraft without the mining and the crafting. It's a try-me demo you pay 7 dollars for.

If you pay money for this, you're an idiot.

Avatar image for ssully
#27 Posted by SSully (5105 posts) -

@Evilsbane said:

@Praise_the_sun said:

@SSully said:

@Cubic said:

Have they added enemies to it yet? Everything I've seen of the Pocket Edition looks so utterly boring, since its Minecraft without the craft bit, or the enemies bit. It's just Mine, and barely even that since you can't build pickaxes.

The point of it is to just basically be for building, not for survival(which is the only reason you would craft stuff)

Wellp, looks like I won't be picking this up.

Wait..so its gutted? That sounds like horse shit.

Essentially yes. I think they said they are adding the survival stuff later, but I am not positive. It is basically just the free version of minecraft right now. If you want to try it there is a demo in the android market place.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
#28 Posted by ThePhantomStranger (547 posts) -

@SSully said:

@Evilsbane said:

@Praise_the_sun said:

@SSully said:

@Cubic said:

Have they added enemies to it yet? Everything I've seen of the Pocket Edition looks so utterly boring, since its Minecraft without the craft bit, or the enemies bit. It's just Mine, and barely even that since you can't build pickaxes.

The point of it is to just basically be for building, not for survival(which is the only reason you would craft stuff)

Wellp, looks like I won't be picking this up.

Wait..so its gutted? That sounds like horse shit.

Essentially yes. I think they said they are adding the survival stuff later, but I am not positive. It is basically just the free version of minecraft right now. If you want to try it there is a demo in the android market place.

Wait what's the demo consist of?

Avatar image for ssully
#29 Posted by SSully (5105 posts) -

@ThePhantomStranger said:

@SSully said:

@Evilsbane said:

@Praise_the_sun said:

@SSully said:

@Cubic said:

Have they added enemies to it yet? Everything I've seen of the Pocket Edition looks so utterly boring, since its Minecraft without the craft bit, or the enemies bit. It's just Mine, and barely even that since you can't build pickaxes.

The point of it is to just basically be for building, not for survival(which is the only reason you would craft stuff)

Wellp, looks like I won't be picking this up.

Wait..so its gutted? That sounds like horse shit.

Essentially yes. I think they said they are adding the survival stuff later, but I am not positive. It is basically just the free version of minecraft right now. If you want to try it there is a demo in the android market place.

Wait what's the demo consist of?

According to the demo page:

Limitations of the demo version

* The world is not saved between sessions

* Multiplayer worlds can not be copied to your phone

* Only 18 of the 36 different blocks are available

So basically you have a world to build in, but are limited.

Avatar image for nesta
#30 Posted by Nesta (3 posts) -

this is awesome

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.