Everything You Need to Know About Minecraft

• 0 results
#-49 Posted by kalmis (1558 posts) -
@TheBeast said:

" @Vigorousjammer: @kalmis: It's not for everyone - if it doesn't interest you, don't buy it!

Just bought it! 
Didn't find the clips boring or anything, just the simplistic look and the Alpha stage scared me away. Those X's Adventures clipss made me change my mind in the end. Thanks TheBeast
#-48 Edited by Vigorousjammer (2508 posts) -
@TheBeast: I think it's pretty cool from a technology standpoint in how it's randomly generated, I just think the stuff that you actually do in the game seems to be boring.

It's too-open worldy for my taste, not enough objectives.  I guess I'm one of those people who get bored of just running around causing mayhem in something like GTA, I always prefer the story missions.
In fact, half of my enjoyment from a game is the story, and since Minecraft doesn't really have one, I'm guessing i'd get bored quickly.
#-47 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -
@Vigorousjammer Sounds like it's not something you'd enjoy at the moment then - it's definitely more about making your own objectives than anything. I think there are plans for more structured game modes in the future though, so it might be worth keeping an eye on.
#-46 Posted by Adziboy (702 posts) -

Two questions. 

Will the price increase? (And can I buy it in the UK, since you mention the price in $$$) 
 Will it run in windowed mode? (Long story short - part of my screen is broken, cant fix it currently. Need to play windowed.)

#-45 Posted by Frederik (377 posts) -
@Adziboy said:

" Two questions.  Will the price increase? (And can I buy it in the UK, since you mention the price in $$$)  Will it run in windowed mode? (Long story short - part of my screen is broken, cant fix it currently. Need to play windowed.) "

Yes (yes) and yes... The guy who made it is from Sweden, the price on the website is in Euros and there's paypal support 

http://www.minecraft.net/prepurchase.jsp
#-44 Posted by Adziboy (702 posts) -
@Frederik said:
" @Adziboy said:

" Two questions.  Will the price increase? (And can I buy it in the UK, since you mention the price in $$$)  Will it run in windowed mode? (Long story short - part of my screen is broken, cant fix it currently. Need to play windowed.) "

Yes (yes) and yes... The guy who made it is from Sweden, the price on the website is in Euros and there's paypal support 

http://www.minecraft.net/prepurchase.jsp "
Cheers man!
#-43 Posted by jschmoe (142 posts) -
@TheBeast:  Thanks for this thread!  I'm generally not a creative dude, but this looks to be scratching that itch.  I'm cool with the graphics decision. I have some questions before I jump in - I'm currently at work and can't view most of your links.
1. Is this multiplayer, single player, or both?  There are tradeoffs to each.  I'd like to show off something I've built, but I'd rather not have someone destroy it for shits and giggles.   Are they optional?  If so, can I bring the world/map/building I created in single player, online?
2. Can monsters destroy your structure? 
3. The world is randomly generated and infinite, if I've heard correctly.  Can you travel so far that anything you've made will be lost to world being generated?
4. How do the physics work?  Say I create a building on three pillars, and knock down a pillar.  Does it topple or collapse?
5. I plan on building something big.  Is there the ability to fly/float or use an editor to do this, or will I have to do something like create a supporting structure for myself while I build it?
6. Something simple: can you color/paint blocks?
#-42 Edited by Vision (796 posts) -
@jschmoe:
 1. It's both, people can destroy your shit and you can't bring your singleplayer into multiplayer, unless you use a third-party program that i don't know of. 
 2. Creepers(suicide bombers) can, however you can use strong blocks like obsidian to prevent too much damage.
 3. Yes it does generate as you go and as far as i know nothing will be lost, your save file will grow bigger though.
 4. Only gravel and sand is under the effect of gravity.
 5. Without any third-party programs (that i again don't know of) you'll have to build a supporting structure for yourself depending on what you want to build.
 6. No, you can't, but you can create different colored blocks depending on the material.
#-41 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@jschmoe: You can also set the difficulty to Peaceful, and that will eliminate the creepers and keep your structures safe.
#-40 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -
@jschmoe A few things to add to Visions answers:
1. The eventual goal for multiplayer for Notch is to have a crossover between single and multiplayer - being able to invite your friends in to your single player world, for example.

3. The world generator only ever adds to the landscape as you traverse it - everything you build will be persistent, the world just gets larger.

6. Dyes are one of the major planned features I believe.
#-39 Posted by jschmoe (142 posts) -

Cool, thanks guys!  This sounds like a pretty awesome project.  Think I'll jump right in.

#-38 Posted by Adziboy (702 posts) -

Just got it!... and wow! Best game I've played this year, honestly. If you dont mind, I have a few questions... 

I made my base quite far from the spawn, or at least its quite confusing to find. Is there a way to make a new respawn or do I need to find the route back everytime? 

Can fire damage the player? 

#-37 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@Adziboy: From my understanding, the spawn point you start with cannot be changed. Make sure you're familiar with the path between the two, because you'll be using it a lot.
#-36 Posted by Adziboy (702 posts) -
@LordAndrew: ah ok, cheers. I'm assuming its not just me dying a lot in the beginning then?
#-35 Posted by Adziboy (702 posts) -

ONE LAST QUESTION and I'll leave you in peace :) 

If I destroy a chest/furnace - basically the furniture stuff - do I get it back or do I need to remake it? 

#-34 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@Adziboy: You'll need a pickaxe to pick up a furnace, but you should be fine otherwise.
#-33 Posted by Adziboy (702 posts) -
@LordAndrew: Thank you for all your help :)
#-32 Edited by Nictel (2422 posts) -

I can't believe this game is taking Civ5 and SC2 time away from me!

#-31 Posted by Adziboy (702 posts) -
@Nictel: Tell me about it. It's the most addicting game I've played. Developers need to learn from this. I've had more fun with this than recent titles such as Red Dead or Mafia 2.
#-30 Posted by jschmoe (142 posts) -

Oh god, what have you done to me?

#-29 Posted by Nictel (2422 posts) -

Oh man.. I had found this great place to live. On a mountain side behind the waterfalls.. It was beautiful, to my delight I found the entrance to a natural cave, I went down and further down.. Until I ran into zombies. I was afraid at first, I ran. But then I returned with sword in my hand. I ventured further and further down.. The cave was elaborate with dead ends everywhere. It was also filled with skeletons and zombies. Arrows flew around me but I marched on..

Suddenly I was surrounded by archers and zombies, a trap! An arrow struck me in the chest. I started bleeding heavily, and decided to flee. I tried to walk through an underground river but the current was to strong and it took me away and I fell down a waterfall. I was now several hundred feet beneath the surface.. From the path that I had followed I knew I had to be bellow a earlier dug tunnel and should be safe there. I started digging.. Until I hit what had to be a soft spot in the stone and the ground collapsed on top of me.. There I died..    

#-28 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2508 posts) -
@TheBeast: hey, so... I know I was bashing the game earlier on this topic, but I wound up playing it over a friends house, and let's just say I'm hooked.
In just a couple hours, I had already learned how to build stuff and dug my way underground.
I was so excited that when my friend cut me off, and we started playing some Civilization V, I just kept thinking about Minecraft.

I got home later that day, went on the website and bought it right away.

Now it's been two days, and it's the best $15 I ever spent.  I'm sorry I ever doubted you guys.
#-27 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -
@Vigorousjammer: That's really awesome to hear - what was it about the game that appealed to you that you didn't see from other peoples' descriptions? Maybe I can add something to the OP.
#-26 Edited by Vigorousjammer (2508 posts) -
@TheBeast:  From the descriptions it just seemed like you would be collecting resources and crafting stuff.  Firstly, I didn't realize how insanely addictive that would be.  Due to the simplistic but ingenious way that you have to put objects into certain shapes to make objects, it made that whole part of it way more fun.

Also, I've been going through the game without looking at too much help.  I've only really looked at a wiki to figure out what an item is, not how to combine it.  It makes it so much more satisfying when you figure out how to make something as opposed to looking it up.

The final piece of the puzzle for me in Minecraft are the monsters.  They create an element of danger, and therefore give you some goals (even if they aren't traditionally spelled out for you like in most other games), which is something I wasn't expecting.  Because of the monsters, it's all about survival, and less about simply creating just to create.  Creating for a purpose is something I find to be a lot more fun than just creating something for no reason.

This is essentially why I enjoy Minecraft: I'm making stuff to fight off monsters, and making other stuff to build my fort, all-the-while, figuring out new stuff to create.
#-25 Posted by Miller129 (2 posts) -

this game is so adventurous.

#-24 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

Minecraft really is the best thing I have ever bought for 13 bucks. 
Steam support would be awesome!

#-23 Posted by Potter9156 (942 posts) -

Ok bromies, I have a question about the Mine and the Crafts: 

I'm playing Classic, like it. I'm building stuff 'n' crap, should I bother upgrading to Alpha? I mean you build stuff 'n' crap in Alpha, but more complicated stuff 'n' crap. So, is Alpha just Classic but with dicks(enemies)trying to thwart you? Also, my computer sucks. I can get 50 frames on tiny draw-distance(sometimes). I'm fine with that. But does Alpha add crap that ups the system requirements? Like AI. 

#-22 Posted by whjms (10 posts) -

I suggest going to alpha. There are a few more options to optimize the framerate, so you should be fine. By the way: what are your pc specs?@Potter9156 said:

" Ok bromies, I have a question about the Mine and the Crafts:    I'm playing Classic, like it. I'm building stuff 'n' crap, should I bother upgrading to Alpha? I mean you build stuff 'n' crap in Alpha, but more complicated stuff 'n' crap. So, is Alpha just Classic but with dicks(enemies)trying to thwart you? Also, my computer sucks. I can get 50 frames on tiny draw-distance(sometimes). I'm fine with that. But does Alpha add crap that ups the system requirements? Like AI.  "

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.