Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Everything You Need to Know About Minecraft

• 78 results
    thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By thebeast

So you've been hearing a lot about Minecraft recently.  
    Some of you have no idea what it's about, some of you have just picked it up and don't know what to do, others are already exploring some cave for that elusive diamond... either way, there'll be something in this thread for you.  

Pretty Important Notes  

Minecraft is a game in heavy active development. It is currently in alpha, which basically means: evolving, but broken. Lots of things probably won't work right, but they're being fixed every day. 

Minecraft: What is it?

What did you go and ask that for? This thing is really damn hard to describe, so I'll just quote a Reddit commenter (ajpos) who seems to be able to describe it better than I ever could: 

It's a bit hard to describe.
    Wife: What are you doing?

Me: Building a pick.
    Wife: Why?
    Me: So I can dig underground.
    Wife: Why would you dig underground?
    Me: To find diamonds.
    Wife: What do you do with diamonds?
    Me: Build a better a pick.

It's a sandbox FPS with an infinitely-sized randomly generated map. Everything is also incorporated within a "3d grid," where every cube of the map is filled with a "block" of some kind. These can include air, water, sand, lava, gravel, stone, and many others. Each block has different properties (such as durability) and can be manipulated (taken, moved, destroyed, etc.) in order to suit your objectives.

Your objectives are mostly up to you. For the first hour or so of gameplay, your objective is to survive monsters. However, after an hour you probably have enough weapons and shelter to save yourself from these monsters - so you are free to dig deep caverns, go exploring, or build things from the various blocks on the world.

Your inventory is the various blocks you have collected and the tools you've made to collect them. Your health is shown because of the damage you've taken from the monsters.

Or perhaps this description appeals more to your imagination:

It's a game that half exists in the users own imagination, as such screen-shots and videos can struggle to give you an accurate representation of what it's like playing it. 

It's like this; Right now I'm spelunking caves in a newly generated world, and I plan to link them up via tunnels to create a huge underground dungeon where I can store all my loot. Later I'll probably set up a mono-rail station above ground so I can travel by train to the various points in my underground network. 

However at any point I can decide this is boring and build a concrete spider 80 foot long looming over my base. Or I could get bored of that and decide to see how much TNT I can stuff in to a mountain and detonate all at once. Or I can later decide that huge explosions are not for me and instead I will set sail at the first Lake I come across and start new buildings on its shore. Or maybe half way through the lake ride I could get bored and decide to pile sand in the middle to form my own personal island. Or I could change my mind and... and do whatever I want to do. 

It's impossible to get bored playing, because you can decide at any point to do anything else in the game world. However minecraft is unique, because unlike other games where you have such a grand sense of freedom it is still quite challenging. At night monsters roam the world, and to get rare materials you have to dig down in to caverns containing unseen terrors. And unknown to you, that diamond seam you're happily digging in to contains a sizeable pocket of lava on the other side... 

Experiences, or 'I still don't get it.'

Not convinced? Maybe these Minecraft experiences in various mediums from other players will help. 

Resources, or "Ok, I'm convinced, now what?"

First, buy it. At the time of writing this, it's about $13. That's $0.0000001 for every hour you will spend in Minecraft. Best value for entertainment ever.  
    That price will probably be increasing when it goes in to beta, so pick it up while you can. 

You might notice there's a free version - this is not what the rest of us are playing - it's Minecraft in its original form, and while it can still be fun, it's nowhere near as good as the 'real thing' or Alpha, as you may hear it called. 

Now you probably want to check out the Minecraft Wiki, it's full of useful information but the two most useful pages are Crafting and Furnace. If you're still a bit confused; take a look at Your First Shelter in Minecraft which should guide you through the basics.

For more on the game you can't go wrong with a few of these communities: 
    Giant Bomb's Minecraft forums 
    The Minecraft Forum 
    Minecraft Subreddit 

You can follow the developer, Markus Persson (aka Notch) on his blog and on Twitter.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mikemcn

Good Post, minecraft is awesome!

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By Davvyk

Billiant post. im currently taking in x's youtube series and its brilliant

Prolix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Prolix

Thought we could play for free.  We have to buy it first?  There a trial version?  I didn't read anything in this thread, cept for the word Minecraft.  :  )

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By BraveToaster

Nice Thread.

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Disgaeamad

And TheBeast suddenly causes thousands to become addicted.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrKlorox

It's actually closer to $13.50. But yeah, it's still a great price for all the time you could spend in it.

The free "classic" version doesn't give you the right impressions as to what the actual game (Survival) is in the alpha. In the free classic one you can destroy and place blocks instantly, and that's it. The full one has health, monsters, block health, and most importantly crafting.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thebeast
    @MrKlorox: Cheers, fixed that! 
    @Disgaeamad: Mwahaha... 

I'll be updating this thread with more snippets of information as I have time - if anyone wants to write anything to go in the OP, go ahead and I'll see if I can fit it in.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Geno

Thanks for this, I've been wanting to get into the game more in depth. 

Noodlearms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Noodlearms

Awesome :) this game needs more love.

leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By leburgan

Minecraft is one of the best games this year for me, no doubt. My caslte in the sky complete with floating moats and floating forests is amazing!

junkrebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By junkrebel

I have been playing, and indeed thinking about MineCraft all week long. I had heard about its wonders before but it was the RPS writeup which finally convinced me to give it a shot and play it. It's a really unique game and it has such a tactile feedback loop of being able to deconstruct any part of the land and then construct something anywhere you like.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JoeyRavn

Argh, I'm trying to register and buy the game, but the server keeps crashing and I have to start all over again :( 

Edit: Yeah, I did it! Finally registered. Let's see if I manage to buy the game...

Bevinsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bevinsky
    Glak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Glak

Well, this convinced me to get this
    My friends have gotten hooked on this game recently, so I guess I'm gonna buy it
    Hope I don't get addicted :P

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By zagzagovich

Dude. I've been minecrafting so hard right now that my legs  went numb.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JoeyRavn

OK, I finally got the game, but updating is a pain in the ass :(

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ViciousReiven

is it just me, or at even the lowest settings it's still laggy?

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By coaxmetal

The multiplayer is fun too, though it is only in the early stages atm and has lots of bugs (like monsters are invincible). Also, minecraft.net seems to be down right now. 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MrKlorox

Ack the update server is way overloaded. The website won't even load at the moment. Dude needs to find a better update method with all these new players he's getting.

@ViciousReiven

said:

" is it just me, or at even the lowest settings it's still laggy? "

I think it's just you. I get ~200 fps at normal draw distance. How much memory is the game taking up?

@JoeyRavn said:
    " Argh, I'm trying to register and buy the game, but the server keeps crashing and I have to start all over again :(  Edit: Yeah, I did it! Finally registered. Let's see if I manage to buy the game... "
    You happened to buy it just as the new update went live. That's why you seem to be having trouble.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Disgaeamad said:
    " And TheBeast suddenly causes thousands to become addicted. "
    Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't stop watcihng the minecraft LP's on youtube I think I'll die when it comes out on steam from staying up 72 hours of none stop playing.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @MrKlorox said:
    " Ack the update server is way overloaded. The website won't even load at the moment. Dude needs to find a better update method with all these new players he's getting.

@ViciousReiven

said:

" is it just me, or at even the lowest settings it's still laggy? "

I think it's just you. I get ~200 fps at normal draw distance. How much memory is the game taking up?

@JoeyRavn said:
    " Argh, I'm trying to register and buy the game, but the server keeps crashing and I have to start all over again :(  Edit: Yeah, I did it! Finally registered. Let's see if I manage to buy the game... "
    You happened to buy it just as the new update went live. That's why you seem to be having trouble. "
    Thanks for the info. I was able to buy the game and download it, but the update (when I'm lucky to get it started) halts about halfway through. I guess I'll just have to wait... watching X play Minecraft :P Hopefully tomorrow it'll be a bit better.
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mmmslash

Update today was kind of disappointing.

Sneaking is neat, but giving me a nonfuctional fishing pole breaks my goddamn heart.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By RobotHamster

Minecraft is thee shit, Ice-T approves!!

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JoeyRavn

Minecraft Offline. Hold.
    Setting up a cloud solution. Free Minecraft weekend until the problems are solved?

/ Notch    

http://minecraft.net/

I'm getting a grey screen after having downloaded the update. It seems I picked the worst time possible to get Minecraft :( 
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MrKlorox
    @JoeyRavn said:
    "

Minecraft Offline. Hold.
    Setting up a cloud solution. Free Minecraft weekend until the problems are solved?

/ Notch    

http://minecraft.net/

I'm getting a grey screen after having downloaded the update. It seems I picked the worst time possible to get Minecraft :(  "
    That's unfortunate for you and super fortunate to anybody else curious about  the Alpha version. This deserves its own thread.
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JoeyRavn

According to Notch in his Twitter, he's solved the bug: 

I found the grayscreen thing! It was caused by a failed Gamma setting experiment! It should be fixed now.    

The game will be F2P during the rest of the weekend: 

I found the grayscreen thing! It was caused by a failed Gamma setting experiment! It should be fixed now.    

necrotoxin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By necrotoxin

Notch messed up this time. He should have not tried to rush this update out, but hes only human. I am going to give up trying to play today, and just try playing tomorrow.

Dedodido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dedodido

Oh man, I just discovered this. And Civ V comes out this week. Bugger.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By thebeast

Great timing on this thread then! Hopefully you all get a chance to play this weekend to see if you enjoy it - can't blame Notch for the sudden increase in demand but you might want to hold off for a bit before you try to play.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @TheBeast said:
    " Great timing on this thread then! Hopefully you all get a chance to play this weekend to see if you enjoy it - can't blame Notch for the sudden increase in demand but you might want to hold off for a bit before you try to play. "
    If you can get into the game, that is :P Anyway, since things are a bit messy right now, I'll use this time to gather some knowledge about the game.  

1. I have no sound, but I've read it's because of the latest update. Anyone else having this problem? 
    2. I'm having problems with playing in fullscreen with the downloadable version. I have two monitors and when I press F11 and go fullscreen, Windows puts the secondary monitor's wallpaper in the main one. This only happens with Minecraft. Also, if I stay on fullscreen and I go back to the main menu, I can't exit the game, because there's no Exit button. I have to Alt+F4 it. Is this normal? 
    3. What's better, the downloadable version or the browser version? :P
    DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DoctorWelch

I am so confused ??? I went online and played something that I thought was minecraft. I played it in a browser and all I had was a bunch of blocks I could place and blocks I could destroy, I got no sense of monsters of any of that jazz. Am I playing the right thing or what, this sounds so awesome, I want to experience the magic, HEEELP!!!

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By thebeast
    @DoctorWelch Sounds like you're playing Classic. It's Alpha you're looking for.
    thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By thebeast
    @JoeyRavn 1. The updated isn't downloading sound at the moment, Notch is working on it.
    2. Sorry, can't help with that one, I play on OSX.
    3. I prefer the downloadable version but they're basically exactly the same thing.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MrKlorox
    @JoeyRavn said:
    " I have two monitors and when I press F11 and go fullscreen, Windows puts the secondary monitor's wallpaper in the main one. This only happens with Minecraft. Also, if I stay on fullscreen and I go back to the main menu, I can't exit the game, because there's no Exit button. I have to Alt+F4 it. Is this normal? "
    I also have two monitors and just use the maximize button for fullscreen. It's not proper fullscreen mode but it works fine on either monitor. Just click the X to close like any other windowed program. I don't think there's a built-in exit button.
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @TheBeast said:
    " @JoeyRavn 1. The updated isn't downloading sound at the moment, Notch is working on it. 2. Sorry, can't help with that one, I play on OSX. 3. I prefer the downloadable version but they're basically exactly the same thing. "
    Thanks for the answers. Before the forums went online, I managed to download the sounds from a temporary fix from a user there. Everything's working fine now :)  

@MrKlorox said:
    " @JoeyRavn said:
    " I have two monitors and when I press F11 and go fullscreen, Windows puts the secondary monitor's wallpaper in the main one. This only happens with Minecraft. Also, if I stay on fullscreen and I go back to the main menu, I can't exit the game, because there's no Exit button. I have to Alt+F4 it. Is this normal? "
    I also have two monitors and just use the maximize button for fullscreen. It's not proper fullscreen mode but it works fine on either monitor. Just click the X to close like any other windowed program. I don't think there's a built-in exit button. "
    After playing a bit, I found that after having entered or created a world, I can toggle fullscreen/windowed inside the main menu with F11, so I just window it after playing. At least it's something, for the time being.
    jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jim_dandy
    @TheBeast:  Check out this tutorial video for your OP:

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm a dumb that needs some sleep. Anyway, the first video would be a good primer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylVtj-1Ccgg 

Also what the heck is wrong with embedding videos?

PS - Mobs are busted in MP. :(

EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By EnchantedEcho
    @Disgaeamad said:
    " And TheBeast suddenly causes thousands to become addicted. "
    Great post, exactly what you need to know before playing the game.
    MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Anyone ever actually read Robinson Crusoe? Because based on what I'm hearing, that's totally what this game is. A dude running around building shit.  I'll take a look at this when I have the time, but alas, I have not the monies, either, so it's classic for me.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mmmslash
    @MarkWahlberg:  That's a fair comparison, really.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By mikemcn

This video pretty much sums up Minecraft, plus it has awesome Inception trailer music.

Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
    deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Oops!
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Demyx
    @odintal said:

"   

Oops! "
    wow, that just sucks
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By Diamond

Only 2 days of playing Minecraft...

dvaeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46  Edited By dvaeg

I just bought it.   I have no clue what I'm going to do with it though.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#47  Edited By vigorousjammer

I still have no clue why I'd want to play this game... it's just a big map editor, except with RPG elements?
    meaning I can't even just make a map, I have to build up resources to make a map?

this doesn't sound interesting to me...

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ryax

bought into it and now am losing all my time to it. holy shit ive ever been happier to pay for something

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By kalmis

I've seen some Youtube clips earlier but wasn't really impressed. I guess this is something that needs to be experienced instead.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By thebeast
    @Vigorousjammer: @kalmis: It's not for everyone - if it doesn't interest you, don't buy it! Screenshots and descriptions don't do it much justice, but videos like X's Adventures are a pretty good representation of what actually playing the game is like - if you find them boring, you'll probably find the game boring too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.