Fortresscraft clone for Xbox Live Indie Games

  • 63 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Apparently some dudes what made some other indie games for 360 are making an HD version of what is essentially Minecraft for Xbox Live Indie Games. 
 
I am excited about simply for the fact that Xbox Live will be integrated into it.  
 
Also Avatars if you are into that I guess. 
    

#2 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

Does Notch not have a patent or something?

#3 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@HaltIamReptar: Considering the other clones are out there I would guess not. 
 
Or he just doesn't give a shit because he has all the money.
#4 Posted by Demmetje (203 posts) -

Shame we don't get to purchase those Indie games over here in Holland..

#5 Posted by Skald (4370 posts) -

So it's just the building portion? Where's the fun in that?

#6 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2419 posts) -

Since it looks so beautiful... I'm willing to forgive them basically completely stealing Notch's game.

#7 Posted by Soap (3641 posts) -

Notch needs to sort this shit out, if Minecraft was my baby I'd be suing the fuck out of everyone of these cheap shitty knock offs

#8 Posted by Zippedbinders (1034 posts) -
@Soap said:
" Notch needs to sort this shit out, if Minecraft was my baby I'd be suing the fuck out of everyone of these cheap shitty knock offs "
Except for the fact that he wasn't even the first one to make that style of game.
#9 Edited by Mikemcn (7018 posts) -

Notch sent some lawyers after an Iphone clone of the game was made. So they might be pissed about this, im sure Microsoft won't want anything to do with it soon enough, also, there isn't anything really Indie about releasing a clone game a year and a half after the exact same game was already made. 
 
@Zippedbinders said:

" @Soap said:

" Notch needs to sort this shit out, if Minecraft was my baby I'd be suing the fuck out of everyone of these cheap shitty knock offs "
Except for the fact that he wasn't even the first one to make that style of game. "
And infiniminer was not a game anyone would want to play. 
#10 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@Mikemcn said:
" Notch sent some lawyers after an Iphone clone of the game was made. So they might be pissed about this.  
 
@Zippedbinders said:
" @Soap said:
" Notch needs to sort this shit out, if Minecraft was my baby I'd be suing the fuck out of everyone of these cheap shitty knock offs "
Except for the fact that he wasn't even the first one to make that style of game. "
And infiniminer was not a game anyone would want to play.  "
Lego creator was
#11 Posted by Mikemcn (7018 posts) -
@Jack268 said:
" @Mikemcn said:
" Notch sent some lawyers after an Iphone clone of the game was made. So they might be pissed about this.  
 
@Zippedbinders said:
" @Soap said:
" Notch needs to sort this shit out, if Minecraft was my baby I'd be suing the fuck out of everyone of these cheap shitty knock offs "
Except for the fact that he wasn't even the first one to make that style of game. "
And infiniminer was not a game anyone would want to play.  "
Lego creator was "
Did you play lego creator? Because that was even less like Minecraft, fun though for the hour or so I played it after getting it for free in a box of cereal. 
#12 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@Mikemcn: That is the name of the program, Xbox Live Indie Games 
 
It has nothing to do with the games themselves.
#13 Posted by Mikemcn (7018 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
" @Mikemcn: That is the name of the program, Xbox Live Indie Games  It has nothing to do with the games themselves. "
Clearly.
#14 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

That's not cool. Someone has no respect for themselves.

#15 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8606 posts) -
@Demmetje said:
" Shame we don't get to purchase those Indie games over here in Holland.. "
 
We don't?
I never bothered with indies much before but that sucks then :/
#16 Edited by Pie (7111 posts) -

No survival mode means I dont really care 
 
EDIT: Officical website actually says "  Currently under development Fortress Craft is a game about construction, survival and destruction.

Explore vast domains and mould them in your image. Construct your own world from the materials around and defend it against would be attackers."  

So maybe a survival type mode? 
Also 31 player mutliplayer sounds kind of crazy
#17 Posted by ajamafalous (12147 posts) -

I will be incredibly surprised if this game is released.

#18 Posted by SileoNex (67 posts) -
@Mikemcn said:
" Notch sent some lawyers after an Iphone clone of the game was made. So they might be pissed about this, im sure Microsoft won't want anything to do with it soon enough, also, there isn't anything really Indie about releasing a clone game a year and a half after the exact same game was already made. 
 
@Zippedbinders said:

" @Soap said:

" Notch needs to sort this shit out, if Minecraft was my baby I'd be suing the fuck out of everyone of these cheap shitty knock offs "
Except for the fact that he wasn't even the first one to make that style of game. "
And infiniminer was not a game anyone would want to play.  "
I loved infiniminer and I had a friend who loved it too. I still like it better than Minecraft because it put more of an emphasis on actually getting ore.
#19 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

If I was Notch, I'd start suing.

#20 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
" I will be incredibly surprised if this game is released. "
It's supposed to come out next week.
#21 Posted by Pie (7111 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
" @ajamafalous said:
" I will be incredibly surprised if this game is released. "
It's supposed to come out next week. "
Wo wo wo wo wo wo, where does it say that?
#22 Posted by Enigma777 (6058 posts) -

Wow, a Minecraft-like game that doesn't look like complete ass? I think I'll buy this!

#23 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" If I was Notch, I'd start suing. "
Perhaps a poll on the subject?
#24 Edited by Scooper (7881 posts) -

He's got minecraft as one of the tags to the video and he's talking about minecraft in the comments so he knows what he's ripping off. It's not going to help his case, though, when he gets sued and he can't deny a thing since he's pretty much written himself that's he's ripping off notch. What a spanner.  
 
It would of been cool and awesome if this was just fan made, maybe he would even get hired by notch to help make a high res minecraft port, but since this guy's going to try and sell this on XBLA to try and make a quick buck I hope he gets sued into the ground for stealing.

#25 Posted by Pie (7111 posts) -
@Scooper: But I want Minecraft on me xbox!
#26 Edited by dungbootle (2428 posts) -

He should definitely be sued if this is the whole game. Also, I don't like the art design. The point of Minecraft's shit graphics is so you can better imagine what kind of crazy structure you are building actually is.

#27 Posted by august (3866 posts) -

I'm not sure how the crap video game plagiarism litigation works, to be honest. You'd think the guy in question could just change the block textures significantly and be totally home free. Although notch has enough money at this point where he could just threaten this guy with a nuisance suit and bankrupt him.

#28 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@august said:
" I'm not sure how the crap video game plagiarism litigation works, to be honest. You'd think the guy in question could just change the block textures significantly and be totally home free. Although notch has enough money at this point where he could just threaten this guy with a nuisance suit and bankrupt him. "
That might work. If this small guy even has to show up at court once and hire a lawyer once that might use up all his money. 
#29 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Really guys? Notch should sue? He wasn't even the first person to come out with a game like this. Notch himself called Minecraft a clone of another game.

#30 Posted by A_Cute_Squirtle (714 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" Really guys? Notch should sue? He wasn't even the first person to come out with a game like this. Notch himself called Minecraft a clone of another game. "
What is it a clone of? I'm genuinely interested. 
#31 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@A_Cute_Squirtle said:

" @CL60 said:

" Really guys? Notch should sue? He wasn't even the first person to come out with a game like this. Notch himself called Minecraft a clone of another game. "

What is it a clone of? I'm genuinely interested.  "
 Infiniminer when Notch was making Minecraft he said he was copying it. So seriously.. people need to stop saying Notch should sue...
#32 Posted by TwoLines (2839 posts) -
@CL60 said:

" @A_Cute_Squirtle said:

" @CL60 said:

" Really guys? Notch should sue? He wasn't even the first person to come out with a game like this. Notch himself called Minecraft a clone of another game. "

What is it a clone of? I'm genuinely interested.  "
 Infiniminer when Notch was making Minecraft he said he was copying it. So seriously.. people need to stop saying Notch should sue... "
Holy shit, Infiniminer looks exactly like Minecraft.
Or should I say, Minecraft looks exactly like Infiniminer.
#33 Posted by Ravenousrattler (1417 posts) -

I was wondering when we would see a minecraft like game on the xbox live indie games.Good for them, its not like notch is going to bring minecraft to the xbox anytime soon (if ever), so its not taking any money away from minecraft.

#34 Posted by Projectorgames (9 posts) -
@Scooper said:
" He's got minecraft as one of the tags to the video and he's talking about minecraft in the comments so he knows what he's ripping off. It's not going to help his case, though, when he gets sued and he can't deny a thing since he's pretty much written himself that's he's ripping off notch. What a spanner.   It would of been cool and awesome if this was just fan made, maybe he would even get hired by notch to help make a high res minecraft port, but since this guy's going to try and sell this on XBLA to try and make a quick buck I hope he gets sued into the ground for stealing. "
I think this is probably the best post to reply to.
 
Whilst FortressCraft Chapter 1 has been heavily inspired by Minecraft Creative (NOT survival), you'll find that I'm in violation of no laws. Not patent (There is nothing to patent), not trademark (My game is not called Minecraft), not copyright (I have taken no code or graphics or sound from Minecraft). The same also applies to plagiarism and 'theft'.  At the risk of sounding sarcastic, I can only imagine you haven't played very many computer games, or if you have, you haven't spotted the, shall we say, vast similarity between them? 
 
The release date was supposed to be Monday, but we have run into a fatal networking error with the XNA libraries, and are awaiting a fix from Microsoft.
 
And thank you for the people who mentioned Infiniminer. Whilst I think Notch has achieved some incredible things, 'an original idea' was most certainly not one of them. (Again, Creative, not Survival)
 
Check out the website, or Youtube channel, there's plenty of stuff to flame me about there!
 
http://www.fortresscraft.com
#35 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
@HaltIamReptar said:
" Does Notch not have a patent or something? "
I should hope not. 
@KaosAngel said:
" If I was Notch, I'd start suing. "
That would be rather hypocritical of him.
#36 Posted by Pie (7111 posts) -
@Projectorgames: If you are the dude making it I just want to say I appreciate what your doing and will probably buy it but it would be really really really awesome if you could add some kind of survival type mode in the coming weeks or months in a new chapter. 
 
Your website does hint at it
#37 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
@august said:
" I'm not sure how the crap video game plagiarism litigation works, to be honest. You'd think the guy in question could just change the block textures significantly and be totally home free. Although notch has enough money at this point where he could just threaten this guy with a nuisance suit and bankrupt him. "
The law does not recognize plagiarism at all. Attempting to sue anyone for plagiarism will get you nowhere, unless you can prove that there was also copyright infringement involved. I am not convinced there is any copyright infringement here.
#38 Posted by Projectorgames (9 posts) -
@Pie said:
" @Projectorgames: If you are the dude making it I just want to say I appreciate what your doing and will probably buy it but it would be really really really awesome if you could add some kind of survival type mode in the coming weeks or months in a new chapter.  Your website does hint at it "
There will something. I don't know if 'survival' is the right way of describing it, tbg. I'm more interested in making big bases with minions in them that you look after, DungeonKeeper/Dwarf Fortress style. I started this 4 weeks ago today, so things are in a very early state! :) And yes, I'm the dude making it. :)
#39 Posted by Pie (7111 posts) -
@Projectorgames: As long as there are some kind of enemys i'll be a happy boy. 
Will tools be introduced?
#40 Posted by Projectorgames (9 posts) -
@Pie said:
" @Projectorgames: As long as there are some kind of enemys i'll be a happy boy. Will tools be introduced? "
There will definitely be crafting, of that I'm sure. (how else do you make the tracks for your extensive automated minecart operation?). 
 
I'm in 3 minds about enemies. 1) Mc-Survival style mobs. 2) En-masse faceme/instanced hordes, and you're building a massive fortress to withstand the attack of thousands (think lord of the rings) 3) Team based, RTS/PVP - so you take your team of soldiers/minions/whatever and assault the other guy's fortress.
 
My main problem with 1) is simple. MC just spawns monsters around you. This is shit. However, as a player, you are capable of creating some incredibly complicated and indepth structures; no AI in the world has a chance against a player.
#41 Posted by Pie (7111 posts) -
@Projectorgames: Your fucking crazy. That sounds crazy ambitious for xbox live indie game but if thats what your gonna do than that's what your gonna do.  
I like the sound of 2 by the way. 
In all of the videos youve put out I haven't saw any water naturally occurring (and lava) aswell as no real big mountains with waterfalls. That stuff will surely be in at some point right? 
Also If I just want to explore and make temporary shelter at night (are you having enemies spawn at night?) instead of building a massive base i'll be able to right? 
Answer my questions. 
 
@Projectorgames said:
" thousands (think lord of the rings)
Really? Thousands?
#42 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
@Projectorgames said:
" Not patent (There is nothing to patent) "
Even you believe there is "nothing to patent", people have managed to patent all sorts of ridiculous things. Take a look at these.
 
Patent law is an ugly, ugly area.
#43 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

it looks like a clone man.

#44 Posted by Projectorgames (9 posts) -
@Pie said:
" @Projectorgames: Your fucking crazy. That sounds crazy ambitious for xbox live indie game but if thats what your gonna do than that's what your gonna do.  
I like the sound of 2 by the way. 
In all of the videos youve put out I haven't saw any water naturally occurring (and lava) aswell as no real big mountains with waterfalls. That stuff will surely be in at some point right? 
Also If I just want to explore and make temporary shelter at night (are you having enemies spawn at night?) instead of building a massive base i'll be able to right? 
Answer my questions. 
 
@Projectorgames said:
" thousands (think lord of the rings)
Really? Thousands? "
Probably, yes; I very much love the open-endedness, self-goal-setting and exploration of minecraft, and that's something I want to see. 
 
And why not thousands? I can draw 16,000 vegetation items in a single pass. The only difference between vegetation and minions or enemies is the texture. (of course, whent hey get closer, they'll go 3d :-)
 
Currently there is no naturally occuring water at all; I'm now on version 2 of the perlin gen th, so the landscape is definitely more plains-and-mountains than it was. As I have water similar to creatives' infinite water, one misplace, and you're re-enacting a scene from WaterWorld...!
#45 Posted by Projectorgames (9 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" @Projectorgames said:
" Not patent (There is nothing to patent) "
Even you believe there is "nothing to patent", people have managed to patent all sorts of ridiculous things. Take a look at these.  Patent law is an ugly, ugly area. "
Oh I'm well aware of the ridiculousness of patent laws! In this case tho, all of the tech has prior art going back to the mid 80's. I've had dealings with game patents in my professional career; it's nto at all fun.
#46 Posted by Jams (2966 posts) -
@Projectorgames: I for one am looking forward to how this game turns out. I just emailed the team from their site and got a pretty quick response. I think Fortresscraft chose a fantastic game type to start off from. Not only are games like Minecraft ultra rare, but there are people out there like me craving more and wishing things were a little different. 
 
I actually started to learn Java because of Minecraft and I plan on making my own version of the game (for myself more than for anyone else).  
 
Just to give some ideas, this is what I would change 
  
instead of block environments, it would be more like WURM ONLINE. In that game, you can still shape the land and build stuff, but not in all blocks. There would be a large amount of crafting and repairing of tools and weapons. Survival at first is more difficult. Not because of spawning monsters at night, but more of the challenge of getting food and finding water to drink. The monster would be more aggressive wild animals like bears and wolves and supernatural creatures like skeletons and zombies would be few and far between. In my game there would also be towns and NPC's that sprout up and also lost civilizations that you can explore.  
 
That would be the direction I would take my game (if I can ever get one up and running).
#47 Posted by Projectorgames (9 posts) -

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR8Pbz89w_M
 
The times they are a-changin'

#48 Posted by MrGetBonus (784 posts) -

So, it's a clone of a PC game that is still in beta and receiving free updates on a platform that can't even do DLC, let alone free DLC? It's gonna have to be pretty fuckin crazy to have any impact.

#49 Posted by Projectorgames (9 posts) -

I don't see how DLC is related to anything, sorry? And if you watched the video, how can you describe it as a clone?

#50 Posted by Matfei90 (1288 posts) -

I'll keep supporting Notch, thanks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.