Giant Bomb European Server

• 58 results
#1 Edited by Finstern (641 posts) -

Server Stats

Offline. 

The computer hosting this died, I got it back up and running but it's no longer to spec for hosting a decent MC server and it was buggy enough as it was. The good news is that the server is saved from the very minute the computer went down, I got all of the files off the HDD, rarred them up and uploaded them to my file storage. 

This is where you come in, hopefully one of you guys can pick up where I left off and resume hosting the server for the others, all the files are available in the link at the bottom, including the modded server (more stable) and the world. You can also convert the World into a singleplayer save, just rename it World1 and drop it in your Minecraft save location. 

LINK - Minecraft_Server.rar, 127megs 

Some of the pixel art: 

#2 Posted by kollay (1928 posts) -

I can see my stupid landmark to the south of your guys' towers.

#3 Posted by reddin (418 posts) -

Awesome, I'll try and drop by sometime tomorrow. I haven't actually tried the multiplayer yet since I heard it was mostly broken, but I'd like to see what it is.

#4 Posted by Finstern (641 posts) -
@reddin: It can be glitchy, even for me and I'm the host :S but it mostly works well enough, just don't plant mine tracks or the server will asplode!
#5 Posted by reddin (418 posts) -
@Finstern: I'll keep that in mind when I check it out tomorrow. 
One quick question though, what sort of hardware is required to run a 200 player server, and how much bandwidth does one need?
#6 Posted by Finstern (641 posts) -
@reddin: Not sure to be honest, I'm hosting it on my old gaming machine, 4 gigs ram, quad core q6600 2.40GHz computer and I have a 30 meg up and down connection. Seems to barely scratch my specs with 10 people on at once so the 200 cap is just theoretical at the moment.
#7 Posted by reddin (418 posts) -
@Finstern: OK, thanks for replying. I'll help test the theory tomorrow.
For now though: sleep.
#8 Posted by Baillie (4081 posts) -

holy shit huge images

#9 Posted by reddin (418 posts) -

I checked it out today, got helped with a bunch of resources from some helpful people. Definitely had some fun, but it is also definitely quite buggy. The alpha version will be here for a while I think..

#10 Posted by Finstern (641 posts) -
@reddin: Glad you enjoyed it :) 

Updated the images in the main post to the latest.
#11 Posted by Rehehelly (414 posts) -

Checked it out.

Found a massive cave and started spelunking, first time on a MP server where it wasn't laggy as hell.
Noiicceee!

#12 Posted by TwoLines (2803 posts) -
@Finstern: Awesome maps! I need to go exploring a little bit further..
#13 Posted by Vision (796 posts) -

If anyone is just starting out and need some help, just ask me or Sjolle.

#14 Posted by reddin (418 posts) -

Can we get some updated pictures please?
I went exploring yesterday and I would like to see where I actually ended up, because I don't have a clue :D

#15 Posted by TwoLines (2803 posts) -

Yep, an update would be awesome.

#16 Posted by Godot (208 posts) -

Apparently Paul's cool...not!

Awesome work guys. I'll have to get round to purchasing Minecraft myself.

#17 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@Finstern: Am I special? 
#18 Posted by Vision (796 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba:  We made you a tower and as far as i know you haven't used it once. :(
#19 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

I was on earlier and no one was there to talk to me! 

#20 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@Vision
@NekuSakuraba:  We made you a tower and as far as i know you haven't used it once. :(
I haven't been on much, as soon as I am on I will use it! :D
#21 Posted by Vision (796 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba: Awesome! It's right behind mine, there's beers in the fridge, hookers in th... Here's the keys.
#22 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Vision said:
" @NekuSakuraba: Awesome! It's right behind mine, there's beers in the fridge, hookers in th... Here's the keys. "
Maybe I need to make myself a home. 
#23 Posted by reddin (418 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man I was having dinner, am on now :)
#24 Edited by Vision (796 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man:  It's an idea, if you see me(Visionize) or Sjolle and need some help, just ask. :) 
#25 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Vision said:
" @The_Laughing_Man:  It's an idea, if you see me(Visionize) or Sjolle and need some help, just ask. :)  "
I picked a crappy name for my account . CyberZeroX  

lol 
#26 Posted by Vision (796 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man:  I'll keep that in mind. :P
#27 Posted by CABBAGES (523 posts) -

Im about to go back on i think and maybe make a mario or something. 
So far ive made a goomba and a pacman chasing a ghost :D
#28 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Pretty isnt it? 
#29 Posted by TwoLines (2803 posts) -

Hmm.. the server's down or something?

#30 Posted by reddin (418 posts) -

It seemed to be down yes. It's up now though.

Just found someone in my house casually smelting my gold XD
After some talking we came to the agreement that it was indeed my stuff and i got it back :)

This game needs some sort of private chest..

#31 Posted by reddin (418 posts) -

..and it seems down again

#32 Posted by Finstern (641 posts) -

Sorry guys, pc died earlier, walked in to a blue screen, just happened again about 12 mins ago and now the internal speaker is is screaming when I turn it on :\ 

Gonna jigger some stuff around and see if I can get it back up and running and if not I'll copy the server off the HDD, it was set to save every 5 mins so it should all still be there.

#33 Edited by reddin (418 posts) -
@Finstern: OK, nice to get an update. Can we get some updated pictures when it goes back up as well?
#34 Edited by Onno10 (405 posts) -

I would suggest making reddin a Vip or mod, he's been very helpful in getting me (and other people) started and giving advice .

#35 Posted by Canberra (1065 posts) -

is it back up yet?

#36 Posted by Vision (796 posts) -

Not yet.

#37 Posted by Finstern (641 posts) -

updated the front page

#38 Edited by Onno10 (405 posts) -
@Finstern said:

" updated the front page "

dam that sucks,How much bandwidth did hosting the server take every week? (on average)
#39 Posted by Finstern (641 posts) -

er... I've really no idea, cant imagine it was much though as it didn't interrupt my regular internet while I was using it...

#40 Posted by Vision (796 posts) -

I can't see it being too much tbh.

I unfortunately can't host because of several reasons.

#41 Edited by reddin (418 posts) -

What a shame. Just as some more people were joining in the fun as well.
I can't find some spec comparisons anywhere to check out if any of my old computer could run the server to a satisfactory degree. 
None of them are close to the specs of what the server was running on though :(  
And payed hosting seems like a step too far at this point, but I do hope that someone will pick it up.
Definitely had a lot of fun. I think I have some pictures of my house that I will post at some point :)

#42 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

What's the specs for hosting a server and how would I host? How much bandwidth would it use and would the computer have to be ran 24/7? 

I'm pretty sure I can host the servers (later at any rate; I think I need some kinda validation at the moment?) but I'm all the way on the Pacific Coast in North America. Seeing how this is a European server, I'm assuming I'd need to pretty much leave my computer on for 24/7. I suppose if no one else is up to the task I'll host temporarily until we get a better host, because my network is less than optimal.

#43 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -

Unfortunately, I can't host until I get my 30mbit line in a few months, otherwise I would love to do it now. I have a somewhat powerful comp that runs 24/7.

Anyway, been reading up on the bandwith usage, and people say that an average user requires about 120kbps. However in my own limited test, I never went above 30kbps, so it's not too extreme.

#44 Posted by Canberra (1065 posts) -

I hope we find a solution soon :(

#45 Edited by Onno10 (405 posts) -
@reddin said:

" What a shame. Just as some more people were joining in the fun as well. I can't find some spec comparisons anywhere to check out if any of my old computer could run the server to a satisfactory degree.  None of them are close to the specs of what the server was running on though :(   And payed hosting seems like a step too far at this point, but I do hope that someone will pick it up. Definitely had a lot of fun. I think I have some pictures of my house that I will post at some point :) "

Hey reddin, I decided to load the server up in single player and I finished the bridge :)

A close look:
#46 Posted by reddin (418 posts) -
@Onno10 looks good. I also have downloaded the files, but I don't think I will do anything on it until it's back on a server.

@Meteora
After some reading I think you don't really need a supercomputer to run a minecraft server. It all depends a bit on the size of the world and the amount of players. Especially with some special server software it shouldn't ask much though.
It should run 24/7 preferably though, and the reason we had an EU server is to minimize the amount of lag.
I'll play around with it a bit tomorrow.
#47 Posted by iTreefish (62 posts) -

Thanks for the server while it existed Finstern!
Sorry I have no solutions for you but for the time being, gg folks!

#48 Edited by TwoLines (2803 posts) -
#49 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -
@Finstern: Do you have any resource usage figures for when the server was at its peak? I'm thinking of trying to get one up on my development server but its pretty low specced; not sure how many players it could handle.
#50 Posted by TwoLines (2803 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.