Giant Bomb European Server

• 58 results
#51 Posted by Finstern (639 posts) -
@TheBeast: At any one time there was only 2 or 3 online with at most 10 people online. I don't think it even used a meg of upstream or downstream. It was fairly light on the processor with the biggest take on the RAM clocking in at just under a gig but if you reset it at night you could keep it lower.
#52 Edited by reddin (417 posts) -

So I did a bit of testing on my older PC that I use as a file server, and long story short: That's not happening.  
Going over the network from my game PC it seemed alright, but on the server I get all types of messages about the server not being able to keep up every time I teleported somewhere. And when I went to the edge of the known map everything just grinded to a halt for a good ten seconds while it generated more world to explore. And that was with just me on the server.
Then for fun I tried to start up iTunes and listen to a podcast and everything in the gameworld started stuttering.
RAM usage was next to nothing, so I think its mostly the processor not being able to keep up.
Keep in mind that this is on an AMD Athlon64 3000+ with 1GB of RAM, so this was pretty much what I expected. I think a fairly recent dual core PC would have no problem with it.
So I guess I'm out for now. Also all of the custom server software is for creative mode etc. I didn't find a SMP custom server program anywhere.
:(

#53 Posted by Lonewolftom (19 posts) -

What is the IP for the server?

#54 Posted by Vision (796 posts) -

The server is currently down since the host computer exploded.

#55 Posted by Lonewolftom (19 posts) -
@Vision: Eek, okay :O
#56 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Well, there's always the other American servers to mess around while we wait for someone else to host the server. Ping isn't really that big of a deal in Minecraft imo and there's a few people mucking about even at 5 am in the morning.

#57 Posted by Bjorn (98 posts) -

Within a couple of weeks, maybe a month. I am going to start a minecraft server regardless of how this is going then. But if its still down, I guess I would try to get this one going again. Will be on a 10MBit upload speed, with a AMD Phenom x4 CPU at around 3.4 ghz, 4 gig of ram and a 40gig SSD. I am not sure if it will be good enough for European standards. But if its still down it would be worth a shot. ;)

The Europeans need a home to...

#58 Posted by reddin (417 posts) -
@Bjorn: 
That should be more than enough to run the server. I don't think I ever saw more than 10 people online at the same time, so the connection should be fine as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.