Giant Bomb Server?

• 0 results
#2 Posted by Mikemcn (7006 posts) -

This could be really cool, we should at least try it maybe, we'll see if anyone else is interested.

#3 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -

That sounds great; I was thinking of starting one up when it got a little more stable, but if you already have a server then that would be awesome.

#4 Posted by fentonalpha (820 posts) -

Count me in... don't know about Admin duty but it sure would be nice to play with a community i trust. Also i just read Herobrine may become an actual feature which will probably make single-player way too creepy for me :-)

#5 Posted by commandercup (500 posts) -

How exactly does multiplayer work? Does everyone just get to build together? I might buy the game and play if there's a Giant Bomb server.

#6 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -
@commandercup: Yeah it's missing a lot of single-player features at the moment (he's fixing things every week though), but basically it's just a big world for building stuff in. I can imagine it will be pretty awesome when he gets more of the features in though. I can imagine building a huge fortress with everyone and defending it from hordes of enemies while other players are assigned to go mine for more ammunition and supplies...
#7 Posted by commandercup (500 posts) -
@TheBeast said:
" @commandercup: Yeah it's missing a lot of single-player features at the moment (he's fixing things every week though), but basically it's just a big world for building stuff in. I can imagine it will be pretty awesome when he gets more of the features in though. I can imagine building a huge fortress with everyone and defending it from hordes of enemies while other players are assigned to go mine for more ammunition and supplies... "
Crazy, I'll probably end up buying it once that Paypal business is cleared up. Looks sort of like Garry's Mod meets Legos.
#8 Posted by fentonalpha (820 posts) -
@TheBeast: Oh man.... responsibilities..... Uhhhh maybe not then... I was kinda thinking about building a basement in another GB users house and kinda mooching.
#9 Edited by TheBeast (1931 posts) -
@fentonalpha: Haha that's more like what it is at the moment. Just wandering around, seeing what other people have built and then adding stuff to them.
#10 Posted by RobotHamster (4177 posts) -

I was thinking of trying out minecraft, maybe getting on a giantbomb server will persuade me.

#12 Edited by Mikemcn (7006 posts) -
@RobotHamster said:

" I was thinking of trying out minecraft, maybe getting on a giantbomb server will persuade me. "

If you think this is cool......

Then Minecraft multiplayer is for you. This is from the server I usually play on.
#13 Posted by Bevinsky (184 posts) -

Man, Minecraft is awesome. Gonna try out this server a bit.

#15 Posted by MexicanHatBoy (129 posts) -

I'd absolutely be up for playing on this. Unfortunately I don't think I can commit to playing enough to do any admin stuff, though if there was a shortage I could mod from time to time.

#17 Posted by Rockdalf (1293 posts) -
@arch4non: I was noticing a griefer on just a second ago and wish I could do something about it, so if you need another for admin I don't mind to fill in.  He was going by the name milkmilkmilk if you notice him up to it again btw. 
#18 Posted by Centimani (550 posts) -

I've been playing single player a lot, I'll definitely be in and out.

#19 Posted by Xeiphyer (5608 posts) -

We running alpha or classic?

#21 Posted by Rockdalf (1293 posts) -

We're working on the server if anyone wants to get on and give her a look .

#22 Posted by Xeiphyer (5608 posts) -
@Rockdalf said:
" @arch4non: I was noticing a griefer on just a second ago and wish I could do something about it, so if you need another for admin I don't mind to fill in.  He was going by the name milkmilkmilk if you notice him up to it again btw.  "
Well the alpha version is WAY better, it has dynamic water so it doesn't instant flood things and you can make waterfalls. Plus there is a crafting system and weapons and armor, and the TNT explodes, and lots more.

However, you need to actually buy the game to play in the alpha version right now, which will eventually become the beta, and then full version of the game. So its not for everyone since everyone doesn't pay =P Its really awesome and half off right now.
#23 Posted by Sedasys (149 posts) -

As soon as Notch sorts out his PayPal fiasco, I'm gonna buy alpha. If anybody wants to join me and make a buggy multiplayer server, please do.

#24 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -
@arch4non: I'd be up for trying out admin.  

My Minecraft name is Axxol.
#25 Posted by Muttinus_Rump (814 posts) -

Great idea, I am in there!

#26 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -

I was hoping this would be an alpha server - so much more interesting for me, but I'll join you all on this soon!

#27 Posted by Centimani (550 posts) -

I was admin-ing and building a big sonic until a bit ago, things have been going fine since we got rid of that one griefer. I'm calling it a night right now, but I'll probably be back on tomorrow night.

#29 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -
@arch4non said:
" @Axxol: Alrightl, I made you an operator.
@Centimani: I saw that, it looked pretty cool! Too bad the roof cut off the top. I wonder if there are map editors out there which will let me increase the dimensions of the map. "
Thanks.
#30 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -
@arch4non said:
" @Axxol: Alrightl, I made you an operator.
@Centimani: I saw that, it looked pretty cool! Too bad the roof cut off the top. I wonder if there are map editors out there which will let me increase the dimensions of the map. "
2 questions: 

1- How do I get out of the spawn jail? 
2-How do I ban someone?
#32 Posted by Muttinus_Rump (814 posts) -

Screenshots from the server:

#33 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4847 posts) -

lol, can see my house in that last one.

#34 Posted by fentonalpha (820 posts) -

Well that was interesting...I've been playing a butt-load of Survival Mode in Alpha and was going in expecting that.  I forgot about this style of play.  If i can get my old hardware up and going again I'm thinking i may have to get a role-playing Survival Multiplayer server going on.

#35 Posted by TimesHero (716 posts) -
@arch4non: TimesHero is my name. 
#36 Posted by Centimani (550 posts) -

That big sonic was my creation :> Too bad i hit the ceiling.

#37 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -
@Centimani said:
" That big sonic was my creation :> Too bad i hit the ceiling. "
I've told you before, but that sonic statue is awesome.
#38 Posted by Davvyk (694 posts) -

server looks sweet!

#39 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4847 posts) -

Spawn jail is terribad.

#40 Posted by Muttinus_Rump (814 posts) -

So I can't get in without OPs online? Man, that sucks. Just put a password on the server. Or give me OP... either works :P

#41 Edited by Centimani (550 posts) -

Yea, we need to find a better way of handling the spawn jail so people can get in if they are supposed to be there. Arch4non, is it alright to make new OP's? A guy named Taith has been around on the server alot, and he was wanting to be made an OP. He's been contributing to the server, but he's not a GB user. Just wanted to check with you before I did anything like that. 

I've also got some screens of things I've added over the course of the day. ^_^ 

Bomberman, Mario, Black Mage, Oh My!  

Foreground - Baby Yoshi                 Background - Boo

I've got plans for a few more, thinking maybe I should stop taking up so much room though.
#43 Posted by AleksO (89 posts) -

If you need more help i could do it. im mostly on during the day here in Norway. My name on MineCraft is AleksH2O

#44 Posted by Centimani (550 posts) -
@arch4non: I think private is a better option than the jail, but people like Taith who arent on GB might not be able to find the room anymore. I think he was getting in through the public server list. I know it's a GB server in the end, but I feel kind of bad cutting him off like that. 

PS: I never left the jail open >_>
#46 Posted by MexicanHatBoy (129 posts) -

I'm on now, this stuff is all really awesome, I couldn't create anything of this calibre if I tried! Well done guys.

#47 Edited by Centimani (550 posts) -
@arch4non: Thanks for the the map increase! I'm back with the Sonic Savior Surgery Summery! 

Unfortunately I no longer have the sprite the original sonic was based off of, so he had to be put down... 
But I found a replacement! 

Say hello to the server's new and improved guardian!
I'm gonna drop a few more screens in here as well. 

There can only be one! (Cyclops and Wolverine,  À la Megaman)
That's not my Sonic btw... I got a little competetive. Sorry. 

Nightcrawler also.

Bomberman has a friend! 

...maybe not
Perhaps a balloon fetish?
#48 Posted by Quak0r (6 posts) -

Is there any chance of a GB SMP server?

#50 Posted by FiZi (126 posts) -

If someone has a box with a good internet connection I can setup a Linux SMP server. I'm running one now for myself and some friends but my home internet connection probably won't be good enough for a Giant Bomb SMP server. We could try it though if no one has a better internet connection.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.