Halloween update- Biggest one yet!

#1 Posted by Fallen189 (5008 posts) -
#2 Posted by Slax (921 posts) -

This looks like a lot of cool stuff. I'm curious how long torches will last... 

Also WATCH!!

#3 Edited by JoeyRavn (4974 posts) -

/excited 

Fuck. Between FNV and this, late October is gonna be AWESOME.

#4 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

I imagine TheBeast is digging a hole and digging it deep in excitement over this update. 

He's also one of the 'scary things' you meet in the deep dark caverns of Minecraft....

#5 Posted by ComradeKritstov (693 posts) -

Can't wait! I'm probably most excited for new features and bug fixes in multiplayer. Really hope he fixes mine carts.

#6 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

What's the chances of some game website gives Minecraft the GOTY award. Some place is bound to do it.

#7 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -

Haha yup, pretty excited about this! This does mean I'll actually have to briefly stop playing on the 31st so my client can update though...

#8 Posted by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -

I just want to be able to control my trusty pig steed.

#9 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

In about a weeks time I should be able to get this. Maybe, just maybe I'll stick around this time.

#10 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

Minecraft is like cocaine to me! 

So happy!

#11 Posted by MikkaQ (10290 posts) -

This torches thing is pissing me off, I hope lanterns aren't going to be tough to craft. 

But other than that, I'm excited. I wonder what multiplayer improvements are going to show up. 

#12 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

He's promising biomes. Clearly we're being lied to. :P

#13 Posted by Killroycantkill (1406 posts) -

This closed the deal, buying Minecraft today LOL.
#14 Posted by Getz (3017 posts) -

with a salary of 350,000 dollars a day, Notch better be cookin up something big ;)

#15 Posted by Bollard (5551 posts) -

I'm hoping the torch burning out update and harder enemies etc is only in a Halloween specific world. If torches start dying in my main save I might cry!

#16 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Going to buy minecraft eventually =[
#17 Posted by Jeffsekai (7032 posts) -

A FUCKING WATCH!

#18 Posted by Butano (1738 posts) -

The watch sounds perfect! Finally, something to tell me I can emerge from my cave when the creeps are gone :D

#19 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I guess I should buy Minecraft too. It looks fun and I need a way to waste time.

#20 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -
@Fallen189: FUCK YEAH
#21 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -

Great My fortress will be dark now

#22 Posted by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -

Damn, I'm really thinking I should start getting into Minecraft.

#23 Posted by Minus (75 posts) -

whats minecraft? :S

#24 Posted by Brenderous (1101 posts) -

Simultaneously sad and glad about the torch update. 

Really looking forward to teleportation.

#25 Posted by august (3846 posts) -
@Minus said:
" whats minecraft? :S "
If only there were some kind of video game wiki you could access with your computer to find out!
#26 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -
@XII_Sniper:  Apparently Notch has stated that all of our current torches will be converted to lanterns. So, at least what you have made already wont be affected.
#27 Posted by Driadon (2998 posts) -
@Bass said:
" @XII_Sniper:  Apparently Notch has stated that all of our current torches will be converted to lanterns. So, at least what you have made already wont be affected. "
OH THANK GOD! Reading that update made me almost shit myself in fear of what was to happen to my precious torches.
#28 Posted by Fallen189 (5008 posts) -
@Minus said:
Get out of here, you!
#29 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:

" @Minus said:

Get out of here, you! "
KILL HIM WITH FIRE!  

@Bass said:

" @XII_Sniper:  Apparently Notch has stated that all of our current torches will be converted to lanterns. So, at least what you have made already wont be affected. "

Will lanterns be a different item? 

Also what is his twitter? I need to follow this man! 
#30 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: 
Lanterns will be a different item, because torches will still exist (although they will behave differently). According to many of the users of the minecraft.net forums, Notch talked about this a little in a podcast and stated the torches already in the game would become lanterns so players wouldn't be too inconvenienced by the change. 

Twitter is notch, believe it or not.
#31 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Bass said:
" @The_Laughing_Man:  Lanterns will be a different item, because torches will still exist (although they will behave differently). According to many of the users of the minecraft.net forums, Notch talked about this a little in a podcast and stated the torches already in the game would become lanterns so players wouldn't be too inconvenienced by the change.   Twitter is notch, believe it or not. "
I am following him now.  

Also I bet....Torch with Iron on each side makes a lantern. 
#32 Edited by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:

" This torches thing is pissing me off, I hope lanterns aren't going to be tough to craft.  But other than that, I'm excited. I wonder what multiplayer improvements are going to show up.  "

Same. Torches are so key to the experience and building that I worry about stuff like that. If the lantern requires Iron it will be too hard to craft.

But hey, MORE MINECRAFT!!!!!!
#33 Posted by Castro (951 posts) -

So I guess it would be wise to make as many torches as possible between now and October 31st. Will the torches that are your inventory be converted to lanterns as well, or just the ones that have already been placed?

#34 Edited by TheLegendofLuke (563 posts) -

FISHIES :3

#35 Posted by wormz (140 posts) -
@Castro said:
" So I guess it would be wise to make as many torches as possible between now and October 31st. Will the torches that are your inventory be converted to lanterns as well, or just the ones that have already been placed? "
I heard it's only placed torches.
#36 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

Torches are going to die out now? Fuck. I hope they last a while at least. 

#37 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -

time to make a torch farm

#38 Posted by Azrail (404 posts) -

at least their are torches, and hopefully multi will be fixed eniugh to be fun for other stuff rather than crafting

#39 Posted by Shadowsquire (362 posts) -

I really hope that when you equip the lamps that they give you light all around your character

#40 Posted by MikkaQ (10290 posts) -
@Bass said:
Oh wow, great. Gonna be throwing up a LOT of torches then!
#41 Edited by CraigAA1028 (546 posts) -

Am I the only one who hates the torches burning out idea? How is it fun in the slightest to have to relight the 200 torches youve placed all around? Sure, there are lanterns, but what materials will you need to collect to make them? I hate this idea. Also, I hate monsters because I'm a pansy, but thats just me.  

But seriously, fuck that. Torches should stay the same. 

EDIT: I've seen the post stating all current torches will become lanterns, but what if I start a new world? Thats another thing to micromanage. Its stupid.

#42 Posted by Capum15 (4901 posts) -

I better get my ass to making loads of torches, I just bought the game about ten minutes ago and it's awesome so far. Love the snow.

The update sounds great.

#43 Posted by Wunder_ (1169 posts) -

I hope he adds more weapons if he's making new, harder monsters. A dinky bow and arrow don't cut it no mo'.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.