Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Help me to understand my obsession with Minecraft (360)!

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Sterling

Why can I not stop playing? I do not understand.

I played this for 5 hours last night. All I did was dig a huge underground hall. I filled up 8 double chests with ore. Then used that ore to start making a castle on top of the underground hall. Oh, and I made a cake. Because who doesn't love cake. Which almost didn't happen. But more on that later.

I didn't want to stop either. If not for that small part of reason in the dark corners of my grey matter whispering "its 3 am, and you work in 5 hours, turn it off, for the love of all things holy, turn it off", I might have never stopped.

I want to not like this game. I want to play other games I have, so many countless games that I want to play. But I can't bring myself to do so. I never understood the appeal of this game. And honestly I still don't. But yet here I am, waiting for the hours to count down so I can go home and turn it on again. Sitting here thinking of things to add to the my "construction project". Like, how I can move that spring next to my underground hall into the hall and create a pool. And do so without flooding a particular area. I could go on and on, but you get the idea. Or maybe you don't. Maybe unlike me you have already gone through this phase of minecraft and have come out the other side, hopefully in one piece. Or maybe you don't like the game and just don't play it. In which case I ask you this; why are you even reading this? Why are you lurking in a forum for a game you don't like? You already know there is nothing for you here. You should move along. And quickly before the creepers see you.

And I have a complaint about the game. Why are the animals so mentally challenged? Why are they all drawn to the water? Fighting and struggling to escape their watery deaths. Which never seem to come to fruition. They also seem to love the concept of destroying wheat. I can not plant and grow wheat without a chicken, or sheep, or pig, or even a cow jumping up and down on it. Why? Why must they do this. I just wanted to bake a cake. Which I eventually did. But that one cake cost lives eight pigs, four cows, three sheep and fourteen or so chickens. All for a single cake. Seems unnecessary I know. But they had to pay for their crimes with their lives. That is the law of the land. A land I am now calling Nowheatland. I wonder if I can change the name of my game to that. Something else to ponder while life slowly passes until Minecraft begins again.

I guess with all that now said I am more wondering if it is just me. Or are others out there that feel this way. A compulsion to play with no idea why. Digging and building. Digging and building. Oh look, its almost 3PM, I should start looking for my Emerald Nuts. Don't want Robert Goulet showing up and messing with my stuff. He is worse than a creeper. I will say that once more. Robert Goulet is worse than a creeper.

I wonder if they also have the power to keep Minecraft at bay? Probably not. Just wishful thinking in my part. 3 hours til Minecraft!

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Sterling

Why can I not stop playing? I do not understand.

I played this for 5 hours last night. All I did was dig a huge underground hall. I filled up 8 double chests with ore. Then used that ore to start making a castle on top of the underground hall. Oh, and I made a cake. Because who doesn't love cake. Which almost didn't happen. But more on that later.

I didn't want to stop either. If not for that small part of reason in the dark corners of my grey matter whispering "its 3 am, and you work in 5 hours, turn it off, for the love of all things holy, turn it off", I might have never stopped.

I want to not like this game. I want to play other games I have, so many countless games that I want to play. But I can't bring myself to do so. I never understood the appeal of this game. And honestly I still don't. But yet here I am, waiting for the hours to count down so I can go home and turn it on again. Sitting here thinking of things to add to the my "construction project". Like, how I can move that spring next to my underground hall into the hall and create a pool. And do so without flooding a particular area. I could go on and on, but you get the idea. Or maybe you don't. Maybe unlike me you have already gone through this phase of minecraft and have come out the other side, hopefully in one piece. Or maybe you don't like the game and just don't play it. In which case I ask you this; why are you even reading this? Why are you lurking in a forum for a game you don't like? You already know there is nothing for you here. You should move along. And quickly before the creepers see you.

And I have a complaint about the game. Why are the animals so mentally challenged? Why are they all drawn to the water? Fighting and struggling to escape their watery deaths. Which never seem to come to fruition. They also seem to love the concept of destroying wheat. I can not plant and grow wheat without a chicken, or sheep, or pig, or even a cow jumping up and down on it. Why? Why must they do this. I just wanted to bake a cake. Which I eventually did. But that one cake cost lives eight pigs, four cows, three sheep and fourteen or so chickens. All for a single cake. Seems unnecessary I know. But they had to pay for their crimes with their lives. That is the law of the land. A land I am now calling Nowheatland. I wonder if I can change the name of my game to that. Something else to ponder while life slowly passes until Minecraft begins again.

I guess with all that now said I am more wondering if it is just me. Or are others out there that feel this way. A compulsion to play with no idea why. Digging and building. Digging and building. Oh look, its almost 3PM, I should start looking for my Emerald Nuts. Don't want Robert Goulet showing up and messing with my stuff. He is worse than a creeper. I will say that once more. Robert Goulet is worse than a creeper.

I wonder if they also have the power to keep Minecraft at bay? Probably not. Just wishful thinking in my part. 3 hours til Minecraft!

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Pezen

You better write more blogs. Also, you sold me on actually eventually getting Minecraft (I need to get paid first, somehow things cost money). I played the trial version of it until it ran out of time and by that time I was the Dwarf king building an underground kingdom.

JaredA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JaredA

Don't worry, you aren't alone. Minecraft is sucking me back into it's dark depths.

Also, this post put a doofy smile on my face, and for that I thank you.

BrianP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BrianP

I am 100% with you on this. I was "playing" the other night and suddenly it was 2am and I had work in the morning. I was some digging some dirt out of a hillside and suddenly I broke through to a massive underground series of caverns, which of course I needed to explore. I wonder if there is a correlation between people who played lego as a kid and who get addicted to stuff like this.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5  Edited By JasonR86

Why do we need to help you understand you're obsession with a video game? Are you being factitous? You coy bastard.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By JJOR64

I've been playing it again lately and having a lot of fun. Trying to build a rail system so I can build a new base in a forest biome. Mainly just playing it till Dragon's Dogma comes out.

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
    whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The appeal is that of children playing together with lego or mechano.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sterling

@BrianP: I think you may be on to something there. Lego's, Linkin logs, K'nex and Errector sets. I had all of those as a kid. And played with them for insane amounts of time.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Hizang

Minecraft, similar to The Sims doesn't really have a good point to stop. It's so easy to just keep going, I have been in a bad place where I have played Minecraft pretty much all day,

BrianP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BrianP

@oulzac:Yeah, same here. I also prefer minecraft to be a solitary experience (no multiplayer, with rare exception if I know the person well) as I did with lego etc when I was younger.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sterling

Well, here it is 2:30 in the morning. And here I am just finishing up some minecraft. I spent 4 hours trying to get that damn mine cart achievement. And it wont pop. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Oh well, need sleep. Sleep is good.

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By briangodsoe

It's 12:45 and I had to force myself to stop. Just move the wall back one more space... Just one more coal vain... Fuck yeah, Diamonds!

tphickma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By tphickma

Its that bloodlust i get after being a mile underground for hours and ive yet to find a diamond. Its like my brain wont let me stop until I feed it the treasure. Yup, had about three 5am sessions since it came out...

xxxlynchxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xxxlynchxxx

Can't be understood... Also can't be stopped.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know, it's got me too. Just finished my ridiculous step mine going one block down and three blocks forwards from the surface to the bedrock - started out 32 blocks wide slowly narrowing down to a two block corridor, six high all the way. I mean it looks fantastic but I'm not even sure why that happened.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By eccentrix

@oulzac: You know you can use fences to keep animals out, right?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EXTomar

I think the only way to break your addiction is to play the PC version.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sterling

@EXTomar: I think D3 has now broken my addiction. Haven't played in two days.

@eccentrix: Yes, but I had my garden boxed in by the water. Three sides of fence, one side of water. They would jump in the water and climb into my garden from the water. I no longer have a garden in that location.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.