I did not know it could snow in Minecraft

#1 Posted by dvaeg (189 posts) -

I feel into a big hole when a green monster exploded in my fortress.   I had no mats on me, and 1/2 of a heart left.   It was dark and I couldn't climb my way out.    Frustrated, I did the only thing I could think of, delete my world and start again.   Lo and behold, my new map looks like this:

Winter Minecraft
So now what?!
#2 Posted by ComradeKritstov (693 posts) -

Build an igloo.

#3 Posted by SSully (4117 posts) -

Yeah it was added in an update in july i think. Its no biggie, ice and snow can be pretty fun to play with, but its the same old minecraft. 

#4 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

With Minecraft you find something new everyday (thanks to daily updates from notch I guess).

#5 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -

Real biomes are coming in an update apparently, so you'll be able to find snowy, desert, etc. areas in the same world.

#6 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@TheBeast said:
" Real biomes are coming in an update apparently, so you'll be able to find snowy, desert, etc. areas in the same world. "
What about rain? Also. My first world was snowing. I was throwing snow balls at creepers. 
#7 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man I imagine there's plans for weather at some point too, a thunderstorm which causes cave-ins would be awesome. Not sure if he'll have a rain biome temporarily - I think he's only mentioned snow, desert and floating island biomes.
#8 Posted by dvaeg (189 posts) -

This is probably the best $13 I've spent since that night in Bangkok. 

#9 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@TheBeast said:
" @The_Laughing_Man I imagine there's plans for weather at some point too, a thunderstorm which causes cave-ins would be awesome. Not sure if he'll have a rain biome temporarily - I think he's only mentioned snow, desert and floating island biomes. "
Any advice to give? I just know my little start home I keep hearing skeltons underground. And I am having massive issues finding anything higher then coal... strangely...a crap ton of Flint...speaking of which. How do I make the fire maker thingy? 
#10 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

My world's always been snowy, I love it <3

#11 Posted by memo (421 posts) -
@dvaeg: hit F and it toggles the fog too
#12 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: Sounds like you need to mine more - either dig a shaft straight down until you find a cave, or go looking for a cave - the closer to bedrock you are, the higher quality materials you'll find. Iron and diamond are probably the most important at the moment.
#13 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@TheBeast said:
" @The_Laughing_Man: Sounds like you need to mine more - either dig a shaft straight down until you find a cave, or go looking for a cave - the closer to bedrock you are, the higher quality materials you'll find. Iron and diamond are probably the most important at the moment. "
I am digging straight down. I just started a mine shaft and found a TON of coal. 
#14 Posted by Raymayne (1226 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @TheBeast said:
" @The_Laughing_Man: Sounds like you need to mine more - either dig a shaft straight down until you find a cave, or go looking for a cave - the closer to bedrock you are, the higher quality materials you'll find. Iron and diamond are probably the most important at the moment. "
I am digging straight down. I just started a mine shaft and found a TON of coal.  "
Keep digging. 0_0
#15 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

It was added in an update if I remember correctly. 
#16 Posted by Driadon (2995 posts) -

I keep hoping I can get a snowy level in a world I make, but alas, it hasn't worked out. I want to throw snowballs at skeletons!

#17 Posted by Xeiphyer (5593 posts) -

Water freezes into ice! You can make snowballs and throw them! Its awesome!

#18 Edited by crazyleaves (636 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: Recipe List.  As far as finding a cave be careful. I always keep a few blocks between me and wherever I'm digging. A couple times got screwed by a mob spawn, and digging straight down is risky. If you do keep a bucket of water on you. So you can put your ass out.
#19 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: I watched a video of a guy that explained a technique that I found has worked in my favor. Find stone, dig a few blocks in and just dig all the way down. Make sure you dig down to make the blocks like steps. When you see the black striped blocks, the ones you can't dig through, stop. Then dig a long hallway and down the hallway make other hallways branch out every 2 to 3 blocks. Then just keep digging and digging down the branched hallways, you'll come across stuff. 

The only thing you have to be careful about is lava, so bring blocks and buckets of water just in case. 
#20 Posted by Empirepaintball (1389 posts) -

Noice!
#21 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Watch out for the polar bears.

#22 Edited by Nonethewiser (131 posts) -

snow fucking sucks. delete it and start again. honestly, you could play in it... but snow is so annoying. its depressing rly. id rather go outside when there is sun and nothing blocking it and I. I'm wearing a suit.

#23 Posted by Scrawnto (2433 posts) -

My first world is snowy. I like it. My advice is look for natural caves. The odds of finding iron seem higher in those. Some will take you all the way down to diamond too.

#24 Posted by MikkaQ (10263 posts) -

I got a snowy world, and it was fun at first but got to be a pain in the ass when I wanted to do anything involving water. It would just freeze and whatnot. No fun. So I removed it with a map editor, since I was waay too invested in what I had made already. 

#25 Posted by raiz265 (2232 posts) -
@TheBeast said:
" Real biomes are coming in an update apparently, so you'll be able to find snowy, desert, etc. areas in the same world. "
so will you have to start with a new world to have stuff like that in effect? 

don't want to leave my mountain-fortress-mine-base-thingie behind :(
#26 Posted by Capum15 (4790 posts) -

My first world was snowy. It was pretty cool, but I eventually started a new one so I could play without snow.
 @Sanious said:

" @The_Laughing_Man: I watched a video of a guy that explained a technique that I found has worked in my favor. Find stone, dig a few blocks in and just dig all the way down. Make sure you dig down to make the blocks like steps. When you see the black striped blocks, the ones you can't dig through, stop. Then dig a long hallway and down the hallway make other hallways branch out every 2 to 3 blocks. Then just keep digging and digging down the branched hallways, you'll come across stuff.  The only thing you have to be careful about is lava, so bring blocks and buckets of water just in case.  "

Oh wow, that's awesome, I've yet to find anything more than Iron due to not really knowing to dig down that far. Thought I had to find natural caves that went down like that. Whelp, time to expand my secondary area of my main base into a mine. If I can find my base though....being lost sucks.
#27 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -
@Axxol: Wait, wut? 
I'm scared. 
#28 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

Someone needs to recreate the Battle of Hoth. And make their house the inside of a yeti's stomach.

#29 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Did you play a single player game? I'd like to play this, but I don't wanna go online and have people ruin my shit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.