Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

I lost my entire Saturday to Minecraft

catterick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By catterick

Damn you Penny Arcade. Damn you

If you hadn't have done your latest comic about Minecraft I may have actually been able to do something remotely productive with my entire Saturday. Instead my day comprised of punching trees, building pick-axes and and digging under mountains to find ore. I mean, sure, I found a totally awesome underground lava cave and built a super sweet mountain top glass house complete with a sunset veranda, but that's beside the point! I had stuff to do that day! 

But seriously, this game is awesome. Don't be put off by the looks, in fact it may even kindle the nostalgic side of you. I recommend grabbing it now before the price goes up.

catterick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By catterick

Damn you Penny Arcade. Damn you

If you hadn't have done your latest comic about Minecraft I may have actually been able to do something remotely productive with my entire Saturday. Instead my day comprised of punching trees, building pick-axes and and digging under mountains to find ore. I mean, sure, I found a totally awesome underground lava cave and built a super sweet mountain top glass house complete with a sunset veranda, but that's beside the point! I had stuff to do that day! 

But seriously, this game is awesome. Don't be put off by the looks, in fact it may even kindle the nostalgic side of you. I recommend grabbing it now before the price goes up.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By thebeast

I'd consider that a Saturday well spent! Who ever said virtual spelunking wasn't productive?

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Jams

They need to add prospecting or something to this game so it isn't so ridiculously hard to find ore better than iron.

ShadowVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By ShadowVirus

I downloaded the game at about 9am this morning, I've been playing it all day. It's so addictive, I love it!

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By PerryVandell

I've made it a personal goal to not get into Minecraft. A game like that can only do harm.

Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rehehelly
    @jams said:
    " They need to add prospecting or something to this game so it isn't so ridiculously hard to find ore better than iron. "
    There's a reason diamond isn't easy to find. 
    If it was easy to find you'd have no real reason to go spelunking.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BraveToaster
    @Rehehelly said:
    " @jams said:
    " They need to add prospecting or something to this game so it isn't so ridiculously hard to find ore better than iron. "
    There's a reason diamond isn't easy to find.  If it was easy to find you'd have no real reason to go spelunking. "
    Indeed.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By KaosAngel

...why isn't it on Steam?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Dalai

I tend to avoid any games with "craft" in the name. Star, War, Mine, they're all evil.

Noodlearms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Noodlearms
    @Catterick said:
    " Damn you Penny Arcade. Damn you

If you hadn't have done your latest comic about Minecraft I may have actually been able to do something remotely productive with my entire Saturday. Instead my day comprised of punching trees, building pick-axes and and digging under mountains to find ore. I mean, sure, I found a totally awesome underground lava cave and built a super sweet mountain top glass house complete with a sunset veranda, but that's beside the point! I had stuff to do that day!  But seriously, this game is awesome. Don't be put off by the looks, in fact it may even kindle the nostalgic side of you. I recommend grabbing it now before the price goes up. "
    I was going to go play some KOTOR, but now I feel inclined to play Minecraft. 

Damn you Catterick. Damn you.
    BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By BionicMonster
    @Rehehelly said:
    " @jams said:
    There's a reason diamond isn't easy to find.  If it was easy to find you'd have no real reason to go spelunking. "
    Diamond is always found near lava,iron is around 20 blocks deep usually and redstone is around 40 deep.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FunExplosions

Last night: 

4 AM - begin in a great map. Nearby an already-carved giant cave, which quickly leads to lava, iron, and red dust. 

5 AM - I have been collecting endless amounts of ore. I have a minecart, several ingots, and am now on my way back up. 

~5:30 AM - I misstep and fall through a hole. I land in lava. I die. I lose everything. 

~5:31 AM - I'm realizing that I should use storage chests from now on. 

That was my first real expedition in Minecraft. 

And with that, I'm off to go play some more. Peace!

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By BionicMonster
    @KaosAngel said:
    " ...why isn't it on Steam? "
    because it's not a complete game yet(still in Alpha stage), but I think he talked with valve when he visited the US a few weeks ago so when it's complete it's almost a sure thing.
    Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jams
    @Rehehelly said:
    " @jams said:
    there's a difference between hard to find and never finding diamond. I haven't even found silver or gold, I am lucky just to get iron. I just found lava for the first time and that's only because I kept starting new games and getting new worlds generated. That last one finally felt like the world generated properly, because there were natural caves around and everything was around unlike most of the time where its just all barren water, trees and cobblestone.
    GoldSoundz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GoldSoundz
    I have lost my entire Sunday to Minecraft.  I've probably played for nearly six hours today, and about an hour ago I finally figured out the smelting system and have built glass blocks for my windows in my house and guard tower.  I've been digging underneath my house and found a jackpot of iron and a few blocks of gold.  The problem is that there is lava everywhere so I'm building dirt bridges to travel unscathed.

This game is mine as soon as it goes back on sale.  I should have bought this months ago.
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By StarFoxA

I'm in the middle of construction of a castle in the sky. I have my initial house (which has a glass floor and is connected to a garden consisting of multiple trees), and then a branching walkway in three different directions, leading to two towers (one of which was a mountain before I DESTROYED THE ENTIRE THING AHAHAHAHHA), and another garden filled with trees and flowers. Also, I have lava pouring out of the floor at periodic intervals. 

It is awesome.

Mattalorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Mattalorian

Minecraft is exactly the kind of sandbox game that I should enjoy. After recently trying it out, I got hooked and played a single session for multiple hours. I built a decent house, and had a pretty massive supply of resources and tools. Hours into the game, I waited until sunrise and left to gather some more materials, and began hacking away at a tree. What I didn't notice was one of those crazy exploding monsters coming up behind me. Without warning, it blew up in my face, and I lost absolutely everything. It was at that moment that I decided Minecraft isn't for me.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By mikemcn

My minecraft won't open because its missing some file after the whole server debacle and subsquent free weekend.

But i too have lost days to Minecraft.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jams
    @Mattalorian said:
    " Minecraft is exactly the kind of sandbox game that I should enjoy. After recently trying it out, I got hooked and played a single session for multiple hours. I built a decent house, and had a pretty massive supply of resources and tools. Hours into the game, I waited until sunrise and left to gather some more materials, and began hacking away at a tree. What I didn't notice was one of those crazy exploding monsters coming up behind me. Without warning, it blew up in my face, and I lost absolutely everything. It was at that moment that I decided Minecraft isn't for me. "
    you can put the difficulty on peaceful and there won't be any monsters.
    Avatar image for comradekritstov
    ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By ComradeKritstov
    @Mikemcn said:
    " My minecraft won't open because its missing some file after the whole server debacle and subsquent free weekend. But i too have lost days to Minecraft. "
    Does it say something about a fatal error? Just redownload the launcher from the website and it should work.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mikemcn
    @ComradeKritstov said:

" @Mikemcn said:

" My minecraft won't open because its missing some file after the whole server debacle and subsquent free weekend. But i too have lost days to Minecraft. "
    Does it say something about a fatal error? Just redownload the launcher from the website and it should work. "
    Yep thats my issue but II decided to not be lazy after posting about the problem and did just that, im back to running away from zombies again! yay!
    masterherocard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By masterherocard

I've been playing it for the day, and i was doing fine... till baddies spawned in the little base I made.

Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rehehelly
    @jams said:
    " @Rehehelly said:
    " @jams said:
    there's a difference between hard to find and never finding diamond. I haven't even found silver or gold, I am lucky just to get iron. I just found lava for the first time and that's only because I kept starting new games and getting new worlds generated. That last one finally felt like the world generated properly, because there were natural caves around and everything was around unlike most of the time where its just all barren water, trees and cobblestone. "
    ..silver?

I don't mean to tell you how to play, but you need to go fairly deep down to find diamond, like 10 blocks up from adminium. There are natural caves everywhere, but it's not like every save is going to have a load of huge cave systems near your spawn. Go out hunting for them :P
    Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jams
    @Rehehelly said:
    " @jams said:
    " @Rehehelly said:
    " @jams said:
    there's a difference between hard to find and never finding diamond. I haven't even found silver or gold, I am lucky just to get iron. I just found lava for the first time and that's only because I kept starting new games and getting new worlds generated. That last one finally felt like the world generated properly, because there were natural caves around and everything was around unlike most of the time where its just all barren water, trees and cobblestone. "
    ..silver?  I don't mean to tell you how to play, but you need to go fairly deep down to find diamond, like 10 blocks up from adminium. There are natural caves everywhere, but it's not like every save is going to have a load of huge cave systems near your spawn. Go out hunting for them :P "
    haha i coulda swore there was silver in there some where... I've dug down to adminium before, there was nothing but red stone. Maybe I just give up too quick.
    catterick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By catterick

I just spent most of Sunday building my mountain-top home. A good 3 hours spent making glass and collecting wood and everything was looking beautiful. I then decide to start digging and find a brilliant network of caves within the mountain I'm on. Now I'm a sucker for exploring so I keep going deeper and deeper. I start carving out some cool rivers from the internal waterfalls I found until the point I'm so far underneath the mountain, down a river and I've run out of torches and pickaxes. 

Bummer.

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#26  Edited By Davvyk

Modern game designers need to take note. Putting players in a world they genuinely feel like they can influence is empowering beyond belief. Minecraft in it's alpha state has stirred more emotion and enjoyment in me than 99% of current games and it exists as an example of why the industry needs the indie scene.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By thebeast
    @Davvyk: Agreed; I like this quote from Rock, Paper, Shotgun about just that: 

We need more of this. Because this? This is brilliance. MineCraft is brilliance in such a simple, raw form that developers the world over should be smashing their heads on desks with a force usually reserved for heading footballs, simply because they didn’t do this first.    

The big guys could learn a lot from Minecraft - how such simple design evokes such emotion is amazing.
    Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#28  Edited By Davvyk
    @TheBeast: absolutely! that is a brilliant quote and Quinns from RPS has hit the nail on the head. small unique empowering features overpower millions and millions of pounds worth of graphical development. The world of minecraft may look simplistic but do i care when im so invested in the world im creating? no, not one bit. Thats not to say that i wouldnt be amazingly excited by an unreal or source powered minecraft but the point is i dont even think about the graphics because the level of investment i have is such that i see what im creating as opposed to the stark reality of cube world. 

At the same time we cant really blame big gaming business for playing the safe development game because well, anything else is a financial risk but if i were EA, Activision, Valve i would be setting aside budgets every year to spend on helping these indie developers develop. One of them will make somthing that turns into a gold.....mine. 

Pun intended ;-)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.