If I Buy Now, Steam Version Gonna Be Free For Me?

#1 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

If I buy this now for 15 bucks, and then get all the updates for free and whatnot... 
....when he puts out the official retail on Steam, he gonna give everyone a Key to download a free copy off their Steam accounts? 

I like to not pay for a game twice... 

Thankee sai.

#2 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -

He hasn't said anything about how it's going to work if it ends up on Steam - I'd assume there'll be some attempt to let you redeem your purchase, but I think that's proven difficult for other devs. 
Either way, it probably won't be on Steam for quite a while.

#3 Posted by Hamst3r (4554 posts) -

Ask him. :O

#4 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -
@KaosAngel
If I buy this now for 15 bucks, and then get all the updates for free and whatnot... 
....when he puts out the official retail on Steam, he gonna give everyone a Key to download a free copy off their Steam accounts? 

I like to not pay for a game twice... 

Thankee sai.
Cool idea, I would ask him on Twitter if I were you.
#5 Posted by Sammo21 (3431 posts) -
@KaosAngel: Well, I bought Gratuitous Space Battles from the developer's website and they haven't done that yet.
#6 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

It's coming to Steam?

#7 Posted by jim_dandy (891 posts) -

It's not even in Beta yet. :|

#8 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@jim_dandy said:
" It's not even in Beta yet. :| "
...this game is so damn weird.  He's selling the alpha build and I keep looking at vidoes and all my buddies on Facebook are on it.   

This is everything I hate about MMOs and grinding but I want to play it.  x.x
#9 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2501 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
" It's coming to Steam? "
That's the rumor, he was in the states a few weeks ago talking to Valve, so it's a good bet it's one of the options open to him.

Having already gotten my $13 out of the game several times over, I wouldn't be overly upset if I had to pay for it if and when it shows up on Steam, but it would be nice for early adopters to get a deal of some sort when it's final.
#10 Posted by RustySpoon (143 posts) -
@KaosAngel:  I'd say probably not. I can't think of many Steam games that have worked that way (free version for buying from the dev first)
#11 Posted by BionicMonster (1032 posts) -
@KaosAngel: to be fair it has no leveling up, minimal loot, no objective, not even full multiplayer support yet.
#12 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Doubtfully unless he is able to send Steam game keys to pre-purchaser's email accounts.

#13 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -

well I mean why do you need it on steam? 
You can set an .exe up to run through steam so if you're looking for community features you don't need to buy it through steam and you can always redownload minecraft off his website, so I'm not sure what you really need.

#14 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@beej: Future version might have achievements. 

Whatever, I picked it up.  I'm punching trees...and tomorrow Civ 5 might destroy me.
#15 Posted by EnchantedEcho (740 posts) -
@KaosAngel: watch a few videos on youtube about it and read the wiki, it makes the first few hours much more enjoyable, once you learn how to make tools.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.