I'm a bit confused about this game's claim of being DRM free.

#1 Posted by Infininja (881 posts) -

So, the servers were overloaded, went down, and no one could log in to play, so the developer made the game free during the downtime. 

How does a server you have to log into to play not count as DRM?  Have I misunderstood what happened?

#2 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -
@Infininja: What they mean is that there isn't any install limit or special code needed to unlock the game or third party software you need to run in the background to even load the game up let alone physically play it.
#3 Edited by Infininja (881 posts) -
@Hamz:
But you do have to log in to the server and authenticate in order to play, right?
#4 Edited by Diamond (8634 posts) -

That was basically the factor keeping me from buying the game, but the awesomeness coupled with the fair price makes it worthwhile despite that limitation.

It does seem that Minecraft will work without login, but the asset update system keeps it from being truly 'independent' of 'phoning home'

#5 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
#6 Posted by Infininja (881 posts) -
@LordAndrew: It is of interest, but I'm not sure it's relevant.  My issue is with the claim on this page

Once you've bought the game, it's yours. No DRM.    

That statement seems like a blatant lie to me.
#7 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@Infininja: It is yours. If you want to play offline, you can do so. There are no technical mechanisms in place to prevent anyone from doing that, regardless of whether or not they bought it. But if you want to make use of the online stuff, you play by his rules. This is typical of most online services.
#8 Posted by TwoLines (2811 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" @Infininja: It is yours. If you want to play offline, you can do so. There are no technical mechanisms in place to prevent anyone from doing that, regardless of whether or not they bought it. But if you want to make use of the online stuff, you play by his rules. This is typical of most online services. "
Yep, you can play offline.
I don't see a problem here..
#9 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Infininja said:
" @LordAndrew: It is of interest, but I'm not sure it's relevant.  My issue is with the claim on this page

That statement seems like a blatant lie to me. "
More like this whole topic seems like a blatant troll.  He's not lying, you're just trying to paint him as a liar.  Be wary of splash back.
#10 Edited by Infininja (881 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:

" @Infininja said:

" @LordAndrew: It is of interest, but I'm not sure it's relevant.  My issue is with the claim on this page

More like this whole topic seems like a blatant troll.  He's not lying, you're just trying to paint him as a liar.  Be wary of splash back. "
Don't be ridiculous.  It wasn't clear from my skimming of the web site that there was an offline mode that doesn't require online authentication.  Even so, I think the implication of saying your game is "DRM free" is that the whole of it is, not just some.  Others appear to disagree, and think a bullet point like DRM free can be advertised generally but only refer to a specific part of the game.  I haven't berated or called anyone names that may feel that way. 

I'm also interested in who "he" is in your response.  LordAndrew or the developer of the game?
#11 Posted by Tenshin (98 posts) -

DRM-free doesn't mean it's free, from wikipedia:

"The term is used to describe any technology that inhibits uses of digital content not desired or intended by the content provider. The term does not generally refer to other forms of copy protection which can be circumvented without modifying the file or device, such as serial numbers or keyfiles." - WIKIPEDIA

It means there is no exceptional copy protection in place. I have on many occasions let my friends borrow my account name just so they can give the game a spin in offline mode, no file-changing or hack was necessary. So DRM-free, "once you've bought the game, it's yours", is more of a way of saying "borrow it to whoever you want, modify the hell out of it, make your own skins, blocks, sound files, etc."

But I digress, I think Hamz put it best already:

"What they mean is that there isn't any install limit or special code needed to unlock the game or third party software you need to run in the background to even load the game up let alone physically play it." -Hamz

Though online authentication every time you play is quite limiting, I wouldn't say it falls into Digital Rights Management.

#12 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@Infininja said:

"Don't be ridiculous.  It wasn't clear from my skimming of the web site that there was an offline mode that doesn't require online authentication. "

And why should he need to? How often do you find a game that actually lets you know you can play it without connecting to the Internet? Very rarely. Do you ever see a game that lists the features that pirates can get by not paying for it? Of course not. But we do have an alpha version that still lets you play the game if authentication fails, and a blog post from the developer stating he has no intention of preventing pirates from playing the game. Notch lists "online level saving, centralized skins, friends lists and secure name verification for multiplayer" as the things that require authentication. None of those things could be used without authentication.
#13 Edited by Infininja (881 posts) -

I think this is being mistaken as an attack on the game when I believe I've expressed my ignorance of the game's feature sets. 

@LordAndrew said:

Notch lists "online level saving, centralized skins, friends lists and secure name verification for multiplayer" as the things that require authentication. None of those things could be used without authentication. "

Those are definitely top notch (yeah, I went there) features, and it's great this game has all that for such a low price.  I'm not trying to put a value judgement on the game's inclusion or exclusion of DRM.  I certainly own many titles that include DRM. 

I also see my definition of DRM is broader than the consensus on Wikipedia, and thus probably most people.
#14 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Infininja said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:

" @Infininja said:

More like this whole topic seems like a blatant troll.  He's not lying, you're just trying to paint him as a liar.  Be wary of splash back. "
Don't be ridiculous.  It wasn't clear from my skimming of the web site that there was an offline mode that doesn't require online authentication.  Even so, I think the implication of saying your game is "DRM free" is that the whole of it is, not just some.  Others appear to disagree, and think a bullet point like DRM free can be advertised generally but only refer to a specific part of the game.  I haven't berated or called anyone names that may feel that way.  I'm also interested in who "he" is in your response.  LordAndrew or the developer of the game? "
There is no implication, offline play is DRM free, online play is DRM free with server side authentication.  Notch is quite clear on the subject matter.  This game has no DRM.
#15 Posted by Devil240Z (3368 posts) -

Whats the big deal? log in and play. The shits pure fire. 

#16 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -
@Tenshin said:
"... is more of a way of saying "borrow it to whoever you want, modify the hell out of it, make your own skins, blocks, sound files, etc."
This, basically - DRM Free means; when you buy the game, it's all yours. As long as you don't redistribute anything (although Notch is pretty lenient about this too); you can modify it, break it, port it to your graphing calculator, whatever you want - there's no encryption so they're not going to sue you if you try to 'crack' it.  
#17 Posted by Ethan_Raiden (342 posts) -

What you've done here cheif is mix up DRM and having to be online to play multiplayer.

#18 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Hamz said:
" @Infininja: What they mean is that there isn't any install limit or special code needed to unlock the game or third party software you need to run in the background to even load the game up let alone physically play it. "
I just noticed that my payment for this game was kicked back. I think I got it for free. I gotta go email him and fix this. 
#19 Posted by MikkaQ (10293 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Hamz said:
" @Infininja: What they mean is that there isn't any install limit or special code needed to unlock the game or third party software you need to run in the background to even load the game up let alone physically play it. "
I just noticed that my payment for this game was kicked back. I think I got it for free. I gotta go email him and fix this.  "
That don't sound like no DRM I've ever heard of!
#20 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -
@Devil240Z said:
" Whats the big deal? log in and play. The shits pure fire.  "
I like the way you put it.
#21 Posted by Devil240Z (3368 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" @Devil240Z said:
" Whats the big deal? log in and play. The shits pure fire.  "
I like the way you put it. "
I was channeling my inner hiphopgamer. 
#22 Posted by kitsunezeta (84 posts) -

To the OP: it IS perfectly possible to play Minecraft single player on a computer that has no means of connecting to the internet. You only need to know where the files the game needs are stored, a flash drive, and a computer with an internet connection to get the current version.

on windows, the requisite files are at %APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin
as for linux and mac, dunno where exactly the .minecraft directory is, but it'll be in the /bin subdirectory in it. google around for minecraft mod installation instructions, they'll have it.

incidentally, posting a link to get the files in there -will- get you flagged, both on the official minecraft forums and here, as doing so is effectively contributing to piracy. However, there is NOTHING illegal about moving the files in the directory to a flash drive to place on another computer you own.

Basically, Notch's claims about DRM in Minecraft are exactly the same as StarDock's claims about DRM in their games: The game does not have to phone home for you to play offline, but you can't (legally) get updates without an actual paid account.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.