"Inaba" Minecraft Project

#1 Edited by Irvandus (2881 posts) -

Hey GB, for those that don't know I'm an avid Minecraft player but not for the "game" part of it but the "building" part. I was working on my own adventure map for a while but honestly it just wasn't that fun. I still wanted some giant project to work on that way I can waste some free time and fell creative but couldn't find any inspiration. In the end I finally found the answer with the release of Persona 4 Arena. A lot of Video Game locations get recreated in Minecraft but sadly no one has touched Inaba yet I decided to start working on a full Minecraft Inaba. Well by full I mean select destinations, I'm not doing full scale or places you don't see in games. Long story short though I'm going to make Inaba in Minecraft. To make it more fun I'm giving myself a year time limit because I want this out before GB's 5th anniversary. Well wish me luck, oh and here's some screenshots of the train station the only thing I've made so far.

New updates will be in later pages describing exactly what I did. Photos on the other hand of new things will be posted right here.

#2 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

Holy shit, Minecraft is insane

#3 Posted by joshth (506 posts) -

This could be really cool, though it seems like this would be really hard. Good luck! I look forward to the final product.

#4 Posted by hangedtoaster (156 posts) -

Dude that's really cool, I appreciate people such as yourself that dedicate time to building this sort of stuff in minecraft. It encourages me to try myself, and than I never do. Now to ask the real question at hand, how long till the bomb crew does an endurance run of your minecraft map?

#5 Posted by Irvandus (2881 posts) -

@hangedtoaster: I don't imagine I'll make it so you can "Play" the map. I want it to be more of a Disneyland style tour. Then again I'm giving myself a year so maybe the dungeons will be playable... If I make the dungeons.

#6 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Pretty cool dude.

#7 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

Unless there's a Nether portal in Junes, I want none of what you're selling.

#8 Posted by Xymox (2104 posts) -

Junes nether portal... Terra, you're a genious.

#9 Posted by Seroth (722 posts) -

I'm interested in this. Very cool!

#10 Posted by Ouren (136 posts) -

you're going to need the right texture pack.

#11 Edited by Slab64 (1058 posts) -

Seeing the screenshots of the WesterosCraft project would make me never want to make anything in Minecraft, because it will never look this good...

But Inaba is a great idea for a build, so I say go for it and good luck to you.

#12 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

Sounds like a fun idea. Good luck!

#13 Posted by lightsoda (541 posts) -

@Slab64: Bigger problem is that it never looks that good up close :/

#14 Posted by StalkingTurnip (150 posts) -

Thats a great idea. I built a very bad version of junes on the old server my friend used to run it but it was sadly blown up.

#15 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

Totally wanna see your dubstep fly-through when it's done. God's speed.

#16 Posted by Brodehouse (10067 posts) -

I would load up Minecraft to tour your inaba sir.

#17 Posted by Little_Socrates (5683 posts) -

is now in full support. Good luck, duder!

#18 Edited by cutyoface (547 posts) -

If you use MCedit you will be able to do it a lot quicker.

#19 Posted by chilibean_3 (1655 posts) -

Good luck with the build, duder.

#20 Posted by MikkaQ (10315 posts) -

Perfect, I'll grab my Chie skin.

Ew that came out WRONG.

#21 Posted by RedCream (705 posts) -

Good luck man!

#22 Posted by Pabba (370 posts) -

Best of luck, crazy person!

#23 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

Interesting how you're doing this since I actually started this myself a good while ago. I stopped pretty early though considering the colour palette in P4 is too varied in comparison to Minecraft. I just didn't think any texture pack will capture the same feel of Inaba. That plus the size of the blocks didn't give me enough detail that I wanted. If this were LEGO however...

#24 Posted by darkjester74 (1589 posts) -

Best of luck duder! Cant wait to see the results!

#25 Posted by JackSukeru (5921 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

Perfect, I'll grab my Chie skin.

Ew that came out WRONG.

You mean your Chie kigurumi.

#26 Posted by RetroVirus (1479 posts) -

You fucking rock duder! Make us proud!

#27 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

This could be great! I wish you luck!

#28 Posted by DonChipotle (2781 posts) -

Are you going to do the tv world at all? Void Quest would rock.

#29 Posted by nickux (1385 posts) -

Can't wait to see that flood plain- holy shit and Junes!

#30 Edited by Irvandus (2881 posts) -

@Terramagi: That's currently the plan, only issue is how I'm going to disguise it as a TV

@Ouren: I haven't been able to find any that have everything I need. Right now I'm fine with working with the default because I can make a lot of detail using the new wood variants. A proper texture pack would be nice though.

@cutyoface: I might use MCedit to copy a few generic buildings around town. I'm definitely going to use it to make the mountains for the camping trip as well as hills and mountains on the outskirts of town just so you have a pretty, detailed background.

@eroticfishcake: I feel comfortable doing it now with the new wood textures. I'm also going to be relying on wool a lot.

@DonChipotle: Yep, I'm going to try and do the entrance to every dungeon at least.

@nickux: Yep flood plain will exist. I guess you can fish at it if you really want to.

#31 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Minecraft 1.4 will focus on adventure mode a bit more, so if you do decide to do the dungeons it adds helpful features. Also looks good so far!

#32 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -

Fuck, you are crazy.

Keep us updated!

#33 Posted by llamaegg (228 posts) -

@Slab64 said:

Seeing the screenshots of the WesterosCraft project would make me never want to make anything in Minecraft, because it will never look this good...

What. The. Fuck. That looks so crazy good it's not even funny. I don't even want to know the amount of hours required to build that.

#34 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

@llamaegg said:

@Slab64 said:

What. The. Fuck. That looks so crazy good it's not even funny. I don't even want to know the amount of hours required to build that.

Yeah, can you imagine Minecraft made with modern graphics tech? I mean, the shader pack is a step in the right direction, but still...

#35 Posted by okoctothorpe (71 posts) -

There's gotta be a mod out there for you to recolor the wolves into red "Mysterious Foxes". I'm guessing the heart kerchief would be a no-go though.

#36 Posted by Parsnip (1098 posts) -

Good luck!

#37 Posted by Gamer_152 (14091 posts) -

Good luck with that. It'll be a big project, but if you can finish it it'll be very impressive.

#38 Posted by Irvandus (2881 posts) -

Moel is done and the buildings behind it. Theirs about 8 different houses and such behind it but only the roofs are two are visible from this angel. The angel from the screenshot matches up to one when you first go there. I've gone ahead and marked out where the 5 major areas of Inaba are as well as making a line for when I need to dig out the river. So far the Endurance Build is going well, building the Shopping district on an incline might be a pain in the ass though. Oh well, thanks for all the good luck!

#39 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

Good luck, looking forward to more updates!

#40 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@llamaegg said:

@Slab64 said:

Mine already looks like that. 
Well the shadows and all the graphical stuff, not the town, that's just insane. 
I'm not sure how long it would take to make though since they didn't place every single block, they "cheated" as some would say. But it looks fucking rad
#41 Posted by mosespippy (4282 posts) -

@Irvandus: Hey, any updates on how the Inaba Minecraft project is going, or is it pretty much finished?

#42 Edited by Irvandus (2881 posts) -

@mosespippy:

Its going still. I don't have the significant amount of free time I had when I started and the size of the project doubled at the least. Coming along surely but slowly though, my deadline of before July will definitely be met. Will post some update photos when I can.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.