Is Minecraft ok for a 6 year old?

• 53 results
#1 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

See, my daughter has recently got obsessed with it after watching videos of it on youtube. All she talks about is minecraft and how she is going to build her dream house. I want to get it for her but I don't know if she's just likes the idea of minecraft and would be completely turned off by it. She already tried it on a friends computer but I wasn't there so I don't know how much of it she actually played.

Thanks.

#2 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

It's not exactly a super engaging game. It tends to attract the nerd-art crowd who want to build crazy creations and share them. Somehow I doubt a 6 year old would quite appreciate it mechanically. Might just be a bit too complicated to make whatever her imagination was conceiving. Heck, I'm 24 and that's why I don't play it.

#3 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
If you are prepared to accept any and all permanent emotional scarring caused by creepers, go for it.
#4 Posted by jking47 (1211 posts) -

I think it would be very difficult for her to craft all the items she will need, and properly placing blocks in a 3d space seems a bit complicated, but if you are buying it on a home computer you might as well, you can play when she gets bored =P

#5 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

She's probably more keen on creative mode, but yeah it should keep her attention span for a while, but we're talking about a six year old, it isn't going to hold her attention for any long stretch of time. Also yeah, turn off creepers/survival unless you want to hear random screaming.

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

From what I've seen, there's not a lot in the game that would be inappropriate for a child. From what I've seen. (Not really a fan of this being my 20,000th post, but whatever.)

#7 Edited by believer258 (11903 posts) -

Let her play the demo of it that's on the site. It's hardly representative of the entire package but you'll know if she can sit there for that long.

Also, if she does manage to create her dream house, it might (subtly) teach her something about having to work to get what you want since in Minecraft, you've got to go gather your own building materials and tools. Unless you start her in Creative mode, where instant gratification is the name of the game.

#8 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@Video_Game_King:  crap, i forgot to make my 10,000th post special
#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@LordAndrew:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm not doing a 20000 post special.

#10 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: I just mean it wasn't special, same as your 20K wasn't special. I have no intention of arranging a 10,000 post parade or anything if the sort.
#11 Edited by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

Garrys mod is probably more child freindly. Really easy to just mess about with.

#12 Posted by mosespippy (4179 posts) -

I think some of you guys aren't giving kids abilities enough credit. They can do amazing things if you let them. A brain is fully developed at age 6. I'd say that there isn't anything inappropriate for a 6 year old in minecraft. If you have the mental capacity to play with lego and use a computer then you have the mental capacity to play minecraft. I atribute my ability to visualize things in 3d space to solve problems to my time with lego as a child so I would say that it could even be developmentally beneficial.

#13 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1766 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

From what I've seen, there's not a lot in the game that would be inappropriate for a child. From what I've seen. (Not really a fan of this being my 20,000th post, but whatever.)

Some of the caves can be rather intense, what with the darkness and the monster sounds and the pitfalls and all. The Survival-horror is one of my favorite genres and Minecraft can still startle me. Endermen can also be rather unnerving, at first. There's also the Neather, which is basically.

If she already played it on her friends computer then she should have an idea of if she likes it or not. Ideally, go with her next time and watch her play it so see how much she actually likes it. Otherwise, it's not that expensive, so even if it turns out she just likes the idea of Minecraft you aren't out much.

If she really wants it, you should make her build something for it. If she's unwilling to put in a little work for it she's probably not going to get much out Minecraft.

#14 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -

If you're concerned about the monsters etc you can just run a local server and disable them. There isn't really any objectionable content in it.

Mechanically speaking it kind of depends, I don't really know how intuitive WASD + mouse would be as a control scheme for a 6 year old. You could probably run a 360 controller through xpadder or something though.

#15 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Do it. It's a very imaginative game so I say go for it. It's better than playing Call of Duty at least.

#16 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

It should be fine for your daughter. Force her to play on the highest difficulty setting. That way, she'll be better prepared for the real world.

#17 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I think she would have a better time playing Minecraft with you or a similar minded friend than by herself. Like others have said, the crafting stuff and determining what works and what doesn't might be a little steep for a six year old without assistance. But that could be a great chance to bond and teach teamwork and cooperation skills.

edit: Also, clearly don't play with monsters on. Some of those things can be real fuckers, even for people with 20 years of experience in gaming.

#18 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

You could always let her play creative mode, you can't die and you have unlimited resources.

#19 Posted by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

I think some of you guys aren't giving kids abilities enough credit. They can do amazing things if you let them. A brain is fully developed at age 6

I tried to get my nephew to play Napoleon Total War and he was a useless little cunt.

#20 Posted by CornBREDX (5275 posts) -

I think what would be more concerning is online interactions. If you can monitor that though- hard to say. If she really likes building stuff I'd say yes- even if she doesn't get all the mechanics if she really was interested in it she would eventually figure out enough to do what she wants in it.

I'm kind of speaking from the outside, though. I've never played Minecraft past a demo that Notch released way before it got huge and it never appealed to me so I never bought in. It seemed, at least at the time, easy enough to figure out if your willing. So I guess it depends on what type of kid she is maybe? I don't know, just a guess.

Sorry if this is unhelpful, just my thoughts on it.

#21 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

Content's pretty much squeaky clean. Go for it!

#22 Posted by LiquidPenguins (181 posts) -

There was a time where notch, the creator of minecraft, used racial slurs on twitter. I'm going to have to say it isn't worth the risk.

#23 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

A creeper might give her a heart attack. God knows that how I nearly died.

#24 Edited by Rohok (554 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

I think some of you guys aren't giving kids abilities enough credit. They can do amazing things if you let them. A brain is fully developed at age 6. I'd say that there isn't anything inappropriate for a 6 year old in minecraft. If you have the mental capacity to play with lego and use a computer then you have the mental capacity to play minecraft. I atribute my ability to visualize things in 3d space to solve problems to my time with lego as a child so I would say that it could even be developmentally beneficial.

Or maybe they're giving minecraft too much credit.

Have her play the demo because the game certainly isn't for everyone. I think the game will definitely exercise her creative mind and work parts of the brain that may not otherwise be worked. There's a lot of fun to be had in the game and it's even something you and her could play together.

#25 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

Sure, why not! There's a good chance she'll really enjoy it. You should probably put it on peaceful and creative mode for her though. Peaceful gets rid of the monsters, and creative mode lets her pick and choose her items and blocks from a list, which will make it easy for her to build stuff. All the recipes and such would probably be too much for her to handle just yet.

She'd have to type in an IP to get online, which obviously isn't likely.

#26 Posted by Marnox (327 posts) -

I don't understand why some people here say that the recipes are too complicated for her to handle. I began playing Age of Empires 2 when I was about 7, that's when we got our first computer at home. I know it's not totally the same, but that game is more complex than Minecraft. Does one more year and gender make such a different? I guess it's all about the personality and "maturity". I would let my 6 year old play minecraft, start with creative mode to learn the controls and then move into the survival mode.

#27 Posted by 49th (2756 posts) -

Minecraft is a perfect game for kids, it seems like most Minecraft users are kids now anyway.

If you don't want her fighting monster or whatever you can just put on creative mode - the enemies are all cartoony though, it's really not an issue.

You can easily avoid online servers so go for it, she will have fun.

#28 Posted by Nux (2359 posts) -

Turn off the monsters, only let her play single player, and you should be fine. As long as she isn't playing with random online people and she likes building stuff she'll have fun and you won't have anything to worry about. Also maybe think about putting her on creative mode, its less digging for stuff and more building.

#29 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1232 posts) -

Creative mode is basically infinite legos. Which for six year old me, would be pretty much the best thing in the world. Except Jurassic Park.

#30 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@Ertard said:

Creative mode is basically infinite legos. Which for six year old me, would be pretty much the best thing in the world. Except Jurassic Park.

Maybe that's why she likes it. She can spend hours with her lego set. I might just have her do that.

Thanks everyone for the info.

#31 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

I am considering co-oping with my 6y old son when the xbla version comes out, assuming it will have split screen. Seems like a great way to build some stuff together.

#32 Posted by ZagZagovich (763 posts) -

Kids just love it. you can check youtube and there are a bunch of videos of kids playing. Some parents even set up servers to play with their kids when they go do remote work. Just set it on peaceful so the kid is not freaked out by monsters.

#33 Edited by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I've seen more dicks in Minecraft than any other game in the past decade, and I played Second Life.

Just saying.

#34 Posted by RazielCuts (2954 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

You could always let her play creative mode, you can't die and you have unlimited resources.

Yeah this. If she's attracted by the 'build stuff' aspect of Minecraft, which a lot of people are, its great for just virtual lego and you don't have to get bogged down with the crafting and mining and just get to building stuff.

#35 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

Single player, creative mode or peaceful difficulty. If she has a strong imagination she should love it. The game is as fun as you make it. Oh, plus the game has kittens.

#36 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

I think so. If you take away all the potentially scary/creepy stuff (Creepers *still* manage to scare me), Minecraft becomes one massive block-based sandbox. And you can always set up a server on your home network if you want to play as well.

#37 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

Yes, give the child the Minecraft. The Minecraft will teach the child basic survival techniques. Should the child ever find itself in a situation of peril, the child will be able to call upon the skills taught to it by the Minecraft, and the child will not perish.

#38 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

@jozzy said:

I am considering co-oping with my 6y old son when the xbla version comes out, assuming it will have split screen. Seems like a great way to build some stuff together.

I'm pretty sure it supports up to 4 player split screen.

#39 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@LordAndrew: please do.

#40 Posted by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -

Exploring Dark areas of the world with skeletons who send arrows at you out of the pitch blackness, can be legitimately scary.

#41 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

I let my brother play Minecraft sometimes. He's five years old and usually plays in creative mode because then he can just build things without having to worry about the mechanics or anything. I don't see anything wrong with letting kids play it.

#42 Posted by SuperSambo (2865 posts) -

If you whack it on peaceful mode there is nothing to fear.

#43 Edited by Arker101 (1474 posts) -
#44 Posted by Cubidog1 (228 posts) -

Im 15 and I struggled with it at first. It takes a lot of learning to know the ins and outs of it, but let her just use Creative mode(its free) for a few days and if she loves it buy it for her. Plus you can play it too. If I were her father I wouldnt buy it for her because she'll probably lose interest within a month. Then again, Minecraft is cheeper than a few lego sets.

#45 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

I say go for it. Other than crafting everything, I think she could handle it easily. 

That said, when you're in dark caves, noises can be pretty scary. Sometimes when my tool breaks I almost shit my pants from the noise. That may just be me though.

#46 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

Play with her and build cool stuff for her and she'll have a blast.

#47 Posted by Pobearo (108 posts) -

Minecraft is ok for a 6 year old

#48 Posted by D_Justice91 (38 posts) -

@mosespippy: A brain is fully developed at age 6?? Gonna need some sauce on that one.

#49 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2490 posts) -

My son got Guild Wars for his 5th birthday. He still plays it for 1-2 hours/week pretty regularly and he's now 11.

So yeah, Minecraft is probably fine.

#50 Posted by JasonR86 (9705 posts) -

@mordukai:

I don't see why not. Just let her go around and mess with stuff. She'll probably figure it out eventually.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.