Man makes working computer in Minecraft. I shit self.

• 114 results
#101 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -

Man I remember when I saw red ore I made a joke about how it would only be a matter of time before someone pulled a dwarf fortress and built an ingame computer, glad this guy proved me right.

#102 Posted by TheBalticOne (64 posts) -

it's only a matter of time before someone makes a computer in minecraft that can run minecraft.

#103 Edited by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Diamond:  Predictable response.  And when I said 'all your job offers' I was referring to everyone in the discussion, the flow of the previous sentence doesn't make that ambiguous. 

Of course the ALU design comes from a book.  It's a freaking ALU - there are only so many variations on a theme and they only differ bitwise for the most part - and he mentions a book in the video describing the ALU itself.  That's not the point.  The point is that he applies highly complex digital circuit design and programming principles from one context and takes them to another whilst also making it scalable and eventually even properly programmable.  That takes a level of intelligence which is far to the right of the bell curve and it shows a level of application and work ethic which is beyond the norm.  That's why he got a serious job offer from a person who runs a company who has already done work for other companies.  People who aren't bogged down in jealousy can recognise talent when they see it. 

How can you possibly know what the future holds for any person or company?  You can't, so kindly get back in your box and stop pretending to be an expert psychologist, programmer, game developer and recent industry analyst.
#104 Edited by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow:  No, I think the odds are the guy probably deserves significantly better than just a couple of guys who have had a few commissioned Flash games.  It's hard to definitively tell from the context of the Minecraft work if an incredible amount of actual understanding and intelligence was required.  Minecraft presents all the logic gates in a pretty simple way, so copy pasting an ALU design straight from a book is probably possible.  But the guy probably does understand this stuff, and if he does he should use this as part of a portfolio to work at IBM or Intel or something.

How do you know it's a serious job offer?  It's fairly easy to tell the quality of the work when you have as large a sample as the flash game makers.  Why should my insights be discredited just because you lack any?  I don't claim to be an expert in all those fields, I'm just competent enough to understand something about the way game companies work.  Either way it seems like an exploitative practice and not a 'serious' offer.  They wanted to get some attention to their site / company.  For all they know they're hiring someone who's got terrible personality issues and doesn't actually understand anything he's doing.

Actually looking at their full portfolio I think they're better than I initially judged.  They've gotten some pretty high level commissions.  Namely Cartoon Network and Barbie.  Chalk it up to me not reading every single thing they did.
#105 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Diamond:   No, you're right.  You're extremely insightful.
#106 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow:  Thanks, you are too when you're not projecting, being defensive, or letting your anger issues get the better of you.
#107 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Diamond: ...
#108 Posted by Spooty (86 posts) -

People on the internet are so cute when they fight.

#109 Posted by MisterChief (832 posts) -

This is mental.

#110 Posted by Jamer91 (131 posts) -

wow :O that's incredible

#111 Posted by Tordah (2488 posts) -

I don't understand anything about computers so I have no idea how this actually works, but it is a pretty massive thing, that's for sure.

I also have no idea what Minecraft really is like and what limitations it has, so I don't know just how impressed I should be.

#112 Posted by Empirepaintball (1397 posts) -
@Bloodgraiv3 said:
"Holy shit! Thats incredible.  Did you guys see the video about the dude making the enterprise in minecraft?  "

Enterprise has nothing on this.
#113 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1087 posts) -
@Majkiboy said:
" dude needs to get laid "
if everyone got laid we would still be living in the stone age.
#114 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

I find this disgusting. But yet very admirable at the same time...

#115 Posted by Empirepaintball (1397 posts) -

This is crazy shit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.