Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Microsoft Announces "Minecraft Windows 10 Edition"

• 63 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff

Given Microsoft's history of tying random game compatibility to the launch of new versions of Windows, I suppose someone should have seen this coming. But, in conjunction with Minecon (which is happening in London right now), the Microsoft-owned Mojang put out details on "Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition."

You'd think that Microsoft's fancy new Windows would be capable of better graphics. What's with all these blocks???
    You'd think that Microsoft's fancy new Windows would be capable of better graphics. What's with all these blocks???

The most important bit is that it's launching in beta on July 29, the same day Windows 10 releases. Actually, the most important bit is that anyone who previous purchased the existing PC version of Minecraft will get this version for free. During the beta period, Microsoft will be selling the Win 10 release for $10 in the Windows Store. Presumably this is the version I was playing when I played Minecraft on a HoloLens back at E3, though there's no mention of that functionality in this announcement.

It'll see some other differences, some of which are described by the company as coming from the Pocket Edition versions of the game. I like my Minecraft on full-fledged computers and slightly less-fledged consoles, so that bit is sort of lost on me, but it'll contain some form of Xbox Live support, letting up to eight players get together and play that way. It'll also let Pocket Edition players connect (via an update to Pocket Edition that'll come at a later date) and... well, one of the other bullet points is that it'll work with the GameDVR functionality built into Windows 10's Xbox app. That seems like a weird thing to call out, considering the whole point of adding GameDVR to Windows 10 was that it's supposed to work with every single game you're running, not just the ones that support it directly, but hey, it's kind of an info-light announcement to begin with.

That's my--and I suspect, some of the existing Minecraft community's--problem with this news. There isn't much here that talks about the future of the existing Java version of the Minecraft client. And including compatibility with Pocket Edition must mean that this version is limited in its feature set, right? I'm no engineer, but I suspect moving away from Java could result in a more optimized and feature-rich Minecraft client. But this sounds like a separate thing built for more cross-platform compatibility that sort of brings the console-level feature set back to PCs. I'm not really sure why PC players would actually want that, considering the core version of Minecraft has been way more functional for years now, but again... it's hard to parse out the full details from this initial announcement. We'll have to check in on the beta when it releases later this month and see what's up.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Of course they do.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Itwastuesday

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

MrXBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You may want to read the official Mojang blog announcement post before writing articles. They specifically say this doesn't affect the Java edition at all. That will still work on Windows 10 should you choose to install it, and will still be updated as normal.

This is purely a Universal App version of the game to enable things like Xbox Live support and cross-play (firstly with the pocket edition but of course in the future it will probably include playing with Xbox One players also).

ELpork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Ohh boy, the 400th version!

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Look, I get people freaking out... but man, anything that gets Minecraft working on PCs without some janky Java stuff for the client is probably a good thing.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Will I get controller support? Yeah, I know, I'm a heathen, I should turn in my master race card, etc., but sometimes it's nice to lean back with a controller to play something like Minecraft. I do have the PS3 version just for that, but that means that I have to have separate worlds, and that version takes longer to load, and that version's world is really small, and that version has a handful of framerate hitching issues, and the PC version looks and sounds better. And I have to use the PS3 controller to play it.

MrXBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will I get controller support? Yeah, I know, I'm a heathen, I should turn in my master race card, etc., but sometimes it's nice to lean back with a controller to play something like Minecraft. I do have the PS3 version just for that, but that means that I have to have separate worlds, and that version takes longer to load, and that version's world is really small, and that version has a handful of framerate hitching issues, and the PC version looks and sounds better. And I have to use the PS3 controller to play it.

Yes, it's a universal app which means it works cross-platform and allows you to switch between keyboard/mouse, controller and touch at any time mid-game.

freewriter55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd really like to know if they're gonna go the distance and make it so you need Xbox Live Gold to play with your friends. Also an 8-person limit? Really? Minecraft servers can have pretty massive populations. I've not played Minecraft since the 1.0 (I tried it a month or so ago and was completely lost by all the new stuff), but I hope this edition works out for fans. I just don't trust Microsoft that much

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By xymox

If they're dropping java and it's coded with directx 12 in mind that would actually be kind of exciting. Imagine the view distance with all dem draw calls.

Jetlag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I assume lifting the code from the Pocket Edition gets them a big jump start vs a complete rewrite, but I really wonder why they wouldnt go for one of the console editions. I bet it's getting in-app purchases, though!

p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

still waiting for Minecraft 2 - Build on Direct X 12, Online Powered by Xbox Live, DLC skin packs though the Windows Store so no more modding Edition.

Fawkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, the most important bit is that anyone who previous purchased the existing PC version of Minecraft will get this version for free.

Their announcement makes it sound like it's only free if you download it during the beta.

rargy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

It actually looks pretty good.

Loading Video...

LobsterMobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe Microsoft doesn't really care what PC gamers want?

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't get how this is anything but an entirely supplemental stepping stone. Are people just mad because it's not a " bigger" announcement?

THE_RUCKUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By THE_RUCKUS

Imagine if Nokia released snake on there new phones and tried to make big deal of it. lol

Of course no one is surprised or really cares.

logicbus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate Java on desktop. A PC version of Minecraft that is free of Java sounds great to me.

Even before Microsoft bought Mojang, I expected this -- I just thought the console version would be the jumping off point. Maybe this makes more sense.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If they're still open to mods on this version, then I think this could be a good thing. Since this version will have waaaaaay better optimization than the Java version, it could mean that modders would be able to do even more crazy stuff with it, without the performance taking a massive hit, like it does in a lot of the mod-packs out there.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't even play Minecraft anymore, especially on PC, and I'm still excited to see them moving it from Java. It's about time some decent C code got into that lumbering beast...

OwlBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The biggest loss in this version is mod compatibility.

For many, the only reason they still play is mods.

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By noizy

100 diamonds/4.99$. Best Value!

I really hope previous owners will get the Deluxe currency pack.

All kidding aside, Minecraft would make for a hell of a free to play game. It has endless grind. Want to skip the digging and get some free blocks? Buy some block energy to spawn free blocks. They could use a block value similar to EMC or sell block packs. They're gonna strip mine that investment they made, right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Seems fine except for the obvious issue of splitting your user base into as many versions and seperate clients as possible. Probably would have been better just to axe off he Java client but that would probably create an uproar. Oh wait this did? Okay just axe the Java client no reason not to anymore

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually really like the part where you can play with a controller or whatever. I babysit my niece and nephew sometimes and even though they love Minecraft they can't play it on my PC because they can't grasp the controls.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By mikemcn

I loved my time with minecraft, but all of that was before it was even released. Now it's just madness, there are minecraft kids clothing lines! What world is this.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I guess it is nice to get Minecraft off of Java finally.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@noizy said:

100 diamonds/4.99$. Best Value!

I really hope previous owners will get the Deluxe currency pack.

All kidding aside, Minecraft would make for a hell of a free to play game. It has endless grind. Want to skip the digging and get some free blocks? Buy some block energy to spawn free blocks. They could use a block value similar to EMC or sell block packs. They're gonna strip mine that investment they made, right?

I thought of this exact same thing. Have this version of Minecraft pre-installed on every Windows 10 computer sold and bam! Anyone who buys a computer can get addicted and a solid portion of those might shell out a dollar here and a dollar there.

That doesn't bother me if they aren't obnoxious and intrusive.

@mrxbob said:
    @believer258 said:

Yes, it's a universal app which means it works cross-platform and allows you to switch between keyboard/mouse, controller and touch at any time mid-game.

That's great. I do that a fair bit when games let me.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I know somewhere someone is REALLY excited about this and I'm glad for them but man am I just scratching my head as to why this was needed.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I don't play minecraft but if directX 12 doubles the draw calls that'd be cool for people.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#29 gamer_152  Moderator

I will buy this providing that whenever you build a window it will appear like the Windows logo.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I will buy this providing that whenever you build a window it will appear like the Windows logo.

But which one, though?

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like it's going to be for building in support for things like Hololens or Oculus, and whatever else Windows 10 can do with your XBONE. And it's free if you already own the game. So... whatever?

Doesn't seem like any sort of cash grab, so much as a necessary step if they need to eventually nudge people away from the Java client for their future plans.

PDXSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gamer_152 said:

But which one, though?

The Windows for Workgroups 3.11 logo.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pdxsonic said:
    @ch3burashka said:
    @gamer_152 said:

But which one, though?

The Windows for Workgroups 3.11 logo.

Anything older than 8 is for cathedrals only.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

News at 10: Microsoft still only has 1 first party franchise that is interesting me. Back to you, Ted.

Matoyak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owlboy said:

The biggest loss in this version is mod compatibility.

For many, the only reason they still play is mods.

It is THE thing that keeps the PC version going. (And partially why axing the Java client would probably kill the game off: Java's particularities are a large reason why the mod scene got as intricate as it did). But going to C# would likely mean a better experience for the user... hmm. I wonder if that's how they eventually give out the Mod API that's been promised for so long. "Oh, here's the API finally... but it's in C#, not Java." as a kind of "Look, we needed to kill the Java version but need to keep the modding community in tact..." kind of middle ground.

EpochAWOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By EpochAWOL

Is there currently a Win Phone/RT/Modern version of the game? That's all this sounds like. Install it from the Win Store. Play it in one of those goofy little windows. Would explain why they'd use PE as a base. At least they'll give it to some folks for free.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Microsoft is in the Moneycraft business.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
    deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I don't even play MC anymore but something about getting a non-java desktop version of it makes me want to get back in there and build something dumb. Maybe I'll check the beta out.

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 5

It's so silly. The PC version of Minecraft has always had the most functionality, and now they're basing the Windows 10 version off the Pocket edition? Classic MS move.

When's it coming to MS-DOS, like Retro City Rampage?

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mhhh, I was sure minecraft was going to be a game that cam standard on a windows 10 machine, just to make people make the jump And assure that that an even wider base gets access to it to later profit of the ip instead of selling the game. (which must be in so many hands already at this point)

MVHVTMV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MVHVTMV

I'd be very happy to see the game finally come to C#, but I'm concerned that by moving to W10 and attempting parity with the phone version that they're going to completely kill mod support by making it a paid-closed system.

Minecraft seems like it would work as a free to play game, but I think trying to make people pay for things that were previously mods or simple admin commands would be far too much. The console versions seem like a prime example of an unfortunate transition from being able to upload your own little bitmap skin, to going to paying $1.99 a piece for pre-made ones.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How much dedodated wam does this version use?

Avatar image for physicalscience
    physicalscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matoyak: I'm pretty sure they said c++ not c#. Seeing as c# is basically just microsofts version of Java idk if using that language would improve the speed of the game as much.

antivanti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thizzle7xu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By thizzle7xu

I was completely perplexed by announcing a "Windows 10" edition when the existing PC version would work just fine, and then I was reminded that the existing version runs on Java and this announcement made so much more sense for creating a true native Windows version.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d000a93730da
    deactivated-5d000a93730da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

I forgot what my account name is and I no longer have the Email associated with it or the phone number.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on Giant Bomb who has never played Minecraft.

crankigeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neocalypso: This will perhaps become less relevant over time, given that the Win 10 version will natively support an Xbox pad but for the Java client on PC you can use a controller via the Pinnacle Game Profiler app. It's now half-price I think and you can also trial it. It offers ready made profiles for most games and Minecraft is one of them. And you can modify the profiles if you want. I had to create my own profile for Terraria but for Minecraft the default works fine. I have two PC copies and my son and his friends all play with 360 pads so take a look at the app maybe.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on Giant Bomb who has never played Minecraft.

I never understood the appeal.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mike

@moab said:

@mb said:

I never understood the appeal.

I never did either, not sure why. I always saw it as a kids' game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.